House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Northampton Rightmove Today

Just did a rightmove search on Northamptonshire.

In my 3 years of look at that area I cant recall seem anything like it, above 250K about 1 in 3 of the new listing in the last 7 days are price drops.

870+ properties/changes listed this week ( it's been about 800-1000 for weeks )

Lots of supply.

Lots of drops.

Lots of people realising they gotta sell.

I have had a look at Northampton via Rightmove recently.

I am surprised that it is relatively cheap when its not so far from London. Maybe theres something about the logistics of commuting from there I dont get, but the rationale for collossal house prices in Berkshire even over 50 miles from London is accessibility for London. So why not Northampton ?

http://www.bairstoweves.co.uk/content/009_Search_Results/Property_Details/property-sales-BEC_RPS-WBG100204-1279297858

Next road to me, which is about 25-30k reduction, not to shabby by the looks either, at that price you would think it needs lots of working needed. At that price i expect it to be stc very quick.

To compare here is a another a few doors away from me, 35k more than the above.

http://www.applepropertysolutions.co.uk/sview.asp?id=615

Shape of things to come,

I am surprised that it is relatively cheap when its not so far from London. Maybe theres something about the logistics of commuting from there I dont get, but the rationale for collossal house prices in Berkshire even over 50 miles from London is accessibility for London. So why not Northampton ?

You've not been there, have you. It has some lovely parts but you need to get a long way out of the centre, adding substantially to the commute.

That's easy. Berkshire has a very fast and frequent link to Paddington, plus decent links to Waterloo and Heathrow. And its own high-value industries grown on the back of those links. Northampton doesn't.

That kind of distinction is diminishing with the advance of broadband, but isn't about to disappear completely even if we discount the historic legacy.

http://www.bairstowe...0204-1279297858

Next road to me, which is about 25-30k reduction, not to shabby by the looks either, at that price you would think it needs lots of working needed. At that price i expect it to be stc very quick.

To compare here is a another a few doors away from me, 35k more than the above.

http://www.appleprop...view.asp?id=615

Shape of things to come,

Tempting. Thanks for posting

Northampton is a hell of a commute to London, my deputy at one company did it and it dominated her life. She eventually saw sense and got a job locally for a lot less money.

You've not been there, have you.   It has some lovely parts but you need to get a long way out of the centre, adding substantially to the commute.

Used to be a very nice market town in the 60's. Have nice memories as lived in Northampton (Duston) as a kid. Most of my old haunts have been built on. The office I started work in, the old Barclaycard centre in Mayfair, (horrendously brutalistic even by 70's standards) didn't last three decades. Don't quite know what went wrong with this town. Last time I visited (about five years) ago town centre seemed to be dying. But aren't they all? Some nice big terraced houses, up by the Racecourse and Abington Park. Doubtless now turned over to immigrant dormitary area's.

If I recall properly the fastest train into london from NH is about 55 mins, but there isnt many of them. The normal train is about 1 hour 15.

Northamptons itself is looking pretty down at heel these days but northamptonshire itself is a beautiful county with good communication links. Its full of new build flats that no one wants and the place is like a warsaw ghetto.

It's abotu as far as you can get from the coast though but it's handy for Birmingham and luton airports.

I think it's suffered at the hands of MK. Its quick into london, good shopping and easy to get round, plenty jobs there too.

Id have to agree that the prices are relative to some counties cheap, but for anyone living there, they are still expensive !!!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

If I recall properly the fastest train into london from NH is about 55 mins, but there isnt many of them. The normal train is about 1 hour 15.

Northamptons itself is looking pretty down at heel these days but northamptonshire itself is a beautiful county with good communication links. Its full of new build flats that no one wants and the place is like a warsaw ghetto.

It's abotu as far as you can get from the coast though but it's handy for Birmingham and luton airports.

I think it's suffered at the hands of MK. Its quick into london, good shopping and easy to get round, plenty jobs there too.

Id have to agree that the prices are relative to some counties cheap, but for anyone living there, they are still expensive !!!!

The problem for trains in Northampton is that its effectively bypassed by the main line. Actually the A6 towns (Kettering etc..) might be better for commuting into St Pancras and more reasonable pwoperdee prices too.

The Victorians destroyed one of most fantastic castles in Europe to build Castle Station too. Good move! :lol:

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

Its also an expensive commute. Wellingborough is actually quicker to London than Cambridge is, yet a season ticket is about ~50% more. God knows why.

Northamptonshire towns also have more than their fair share of chavs and pikeys, which also seems to be exacerated by an influx of asylum seekers. Though i guess thats true of most places.

<br />Used to be a very nice market town in the 60's. Have nice memories as lived in Northampton (Duston) as a kid. Most of my old haunts have been built on. The office I started work in, the old Barclaycard centre in Mayfair, (horrendously brutalistic even by 70's standards) didn't last three decades. Don't quite know what went wrong with this town. Last time I visited (about five years) ago town centre seemed to be dying. But aren't they all? Some nice big terraced houses, up by the Racecourse and Abington Park. Doubtless now turned over to immigrant dormitary area's.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Northamptonshire/Rutland villages are the "Secret Cotswolds".

The limestone belt runs all the way thru to Lincolnshire.

Some of the nicest 'untouched' countryside/ancient villages i've had pleasure to work in.

I regularly go binge drinking in Northampton (got a pal who lives in Milton Keynes and its easy for both of us on the trains) and it has probably got a lot boozier over the last 15 years like a lot of places. I don't mind it though - its a bit chavy but me and my mate turned 40 recently so even BOBFOC's are pleasing on the eyes these days (Body Off Baywatch Face Off Crimewatch). I know a couple of people who commute to London from N'ampton - doable and I've always liked it.

I regularly go binge drinking in Northampton (got a pal who lives in Milton Keynes and its easy for both of us on the trains) and it has probably got a lot boozier over the last 15 years like a lot of places. I don't mind it though - its a bit chavy but me and my mate turned 40 recently so even BOBFOC's are pleasing on the eyes these days (Body Off Baywatch Face Off Crimewatch). I know a couple of people who commute to London from N'ampton - doable and I've always liked it.

5790_119_detail.jpg

Formerly of Northampton

The problem for trains in Northampton is that its effectively bypassed by the main line. Actually the A6 towns (Kettering etc..) might be better for commuting into St Pancras and more reasonable pwoperdee prices too.

The Victorians destroyed one of most fantastic castles in Europe to build Castle Station too. Good move!  :lol:

Isn't Northampton on the West Coast main line? Not sure which station that ends up at in London. Maybe Euston? I know Kettering goes into St Pancras, but Kettering as a place to live, doesn't have much going for it. (not saying that Northampton does either ) :lol: