House Price Crash Forum

It's Nice To Catch Up- With News Like 20% Drops Making Me Go All Gooey

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
HOLA442

So what is your own personal feeling regarding the ongoing price/value of bricks and mortar?

They will fall from now until at least spring 2013. The deepest falls will be from June 2011 to April 2012. I expect minimum 20/25% falls with some areas being as much as 40%. I don't expect falls to reach Detroits best of 90%, anywhere in the UK. After 2012, falls will be modest and prices will hover for a couple of years before very modest yoy rises resume.

HOLA443

They will fall from now until at least spring 2013. The deepest falls will be from June 2011 to April 2012. I expect minimum 20/25% falls with some areas being as much as 40%. I don't expect falls to reach Detroits best of 90%, anywhere in the UK. After 2012, falls will be modest and prices will hover for a couple of years before very modest yoy rises resume.

I also expect falls, starting from about now. Followed by a wave of IVAs and bankruptcies as forced sellers with -ve equity have to resort to just walking away. I know people who did this in the early 90s crash.

There may be a small number of Detroit style drops in some cases though - I'm thinking of hugely overpriced new build flats in dire inner city settings, that become essentially unsellable.

HOLA444

I am in two minds about this. On one hand I am seeing quite nice falls in previously HPC-immune areas like Salisbury, but on the other, a lot more houses seem to be going SSTC this month. Publicised repossessions are coming onto the market more in my areas. Every time I ring an EA about a viewing they assume first of all that I am an investment buyer rather than a homebuyer so perhaps investment buyers are making up much of the market at the moment. I think another six months might reveal which way things are going here.

( I look at Gloucestershire and Wiltshire at under 200K)

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think the wheels will come off more quickly than many people think.

Me too. It's going quite quick now. 3 months of Halifax price falls all of a sudden. I'm also seeing some asking prices lower on new listings than existing ones here in Essex. I think it's over now just sit back and enjoy :D

HOLA447

Me too. It's going quite quick now. 3 months of Halifax price falls all of a sudden. I'm also seeing some asking prices lower on new listings than existing ones here in Essex. I think it's over now just sit back and enjoy :D

Here's hoping! I got excited in 2005 when things started to look like they were heading in the right direction. And then in 2007 with Northern Rock I almost wet my pants with the excitement. Needless to say, I was disappointed on both occasions by the eventual outcome. :angry:

So, as long as the Cleggeron doesn't decide to save the world we might finally get the house price correction (not a "crash", that word can't be mentioned in polite circles) that has been needed since about 2003.

If I am disappointed for a 3rd time I am not sure how I will cope! :blink:

QB

HOLA448

It would be interesting to know peoples predictions for the market to end of December. I think the estimate mentioned in various quarters of around 5% down national average sounds about right.

There is no trigger for market capitulation and low volumes may distort the operation of market forces. I will be pleased with 5% off going in to 2011.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Completely agree. Anyone assuming nice gradual falls is completely underestimating the effect of sentiment. Its a lot easier for a seller to hold out for a better offer when they believe prices are on the march. And of course the inverse is true for buyers. Thats why this is all about momentum-MOM falls = negative sentiment in the media = greater falls. And eventually no positive spin can be put on it whatsoever.

I see the greatest falls coming this autumn/winter, followed by a prolonged decline for the next 5 years, fuelled by rising interest rates and long-term unemployment.

HOLA4412
Guest KingCharles1st

I remeber trying to sell my house in 1990- 91 (IIRC?) chased the market down- ok, stupid thing to do, but the SPEED at which the prices in the area plummeted was alarming.