House Price Crash Forum

Drivers Clobbered: Fines Could Rocket To Fill Massive Gap In Ministers' Spending Plans

HOLA441
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

:blink::blink: I thought his previous avatar was James Robertson Justice. I had no idea that he was an Israeli.

Well if poor old DisQ Duck's implying I'm harry hoodless, I'm perfectly willing to send him a wee photie of the relevant member showing me as intacta, if somewhat imperfectly virgo.

I could always make a wee turban out of a wet wipe to top it off, for modesty.

HOLA443

Jesus! Don't give him ideas.

Fair warning, my man, fair warning.

But I don't doubt he's there ahead of us.

A Full-Spectrum Keyboard Warrior is an awesome cratur.

There'll be videos too, up by the Utube and that.

There's always videos.

HOLA444
Guest Noodle

This 'Surveillance Infrastructure of the Police StateTM' . . . did anyone keep the receipt? I think they need to send it back, not fit for purpose. Will this affect their statutory rights? Did it reach them in perfect condition like it said on the packet next to the ingredients? Is the packaging still in the attic or did you throw it out on the last tip run?

Well . . . 10 years of using the Her Majez' highways as a race track saw Noodle retaining a 'clean' license, no points and no prizes. Le Mans vingt-quatre heures, Mille-Miglia . . . the Indianapolice 500.

'Warp speed, Mr Sulu!' 'She cannae taek nae mor, Capn!' 'Impulse power through the school zones'.

Hold the Guinness Book of Records award for the first person ever to make a geriatric French diesel break the sound barrier and Einstein definitely missed 'AUDI TURBO' out of E=MC2.

To this place now.

No speed cameras. No CCTV. No GATZOIDS or Number Plate Recognition Advanced Artificial Intelligence Skynet Database Link Terminator Automatic Send The Ticket In The Post Technology (NPRAAISDLTASTTITPTTM). . .

Old pick-up. No rush.

I've been pinched a dozen times in the past 18 months.

The white gloved hand goes up. We pull in, window goes down, 'Song Loi Baht' (200 baht/£4), Kap!. The gloved hand reached surreptitiously through the window to receive beer tokens and we're off again.

Always keep change.

HOLA445

My mate got pulled for singing. Yes the cops on the motorway thought he was on the phone as there was no passenger and he held his hand on his face for a little while as he sang to a tune on the radio. He then had to prove his innocence by showing them the call log. So guilty until proven innocent is apparently the law of the UK. Tremendous.

Personally I have seen loads of cops drive past people on the phone whilst driving, which I detest by the way. Have a total clampdown, with automatic fine of £1000 and six points on your licence minimum. It's more dangerous than drunk driving apparently.

HOLA446

Minor parking offenses with confusing notices or a fine if you happen to be 5 mins late or driving slightly over the 30 mile ph etc...rules that are put in place to generate easy tax revenue from innocent law abiding drivers...to catch and fine them unaware.

What about the non insured drives, the drivers that drive without ever passing a test, people talking on a hand held mobile phone, the vehicles with foreign number plates that get away with most things.......fining the easy targets is easy to do. :ph34r:

HOLA447

The one that scares me the most is the potential for entering a box junction before the exit is clear. ISTR a notorious junction in Ealing where the cameras were set up to catch just this offence. It reduces the flow of cars to one (or less) per traffic light sequence - people turning left at the far side in front of you ALWAYS filled the queue, so theoretically, you had to wait for them to move at least a cars length further past the box before you could enter.

Sitting ducks, indeed.

HOLA448

I'm quite capable of driving at bang on 30 thanks, but it diverts my attention from the kids running into the road.

yeah, you dont want to miss one...reversing is such a chore.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Those who are incapable of the latter (without conscious effort) are invariably just as incapable of the former (no matter how strong their self-delusion).

Numerous studies have shown that the safest drivers are around the 85th percentile by speed, so any time you reduce the speed limit below that level you are deliberately criminalising the safest drivers on the road. The slowest drivers generally drive slow because they're crap, and the fastest drivers generally drive fast because they're morons.

At least over here everyone knows that speeding fines are a blatant revenue-raising measure with no connection to safety.

HOLA4411

Numerous studies have shown that the safest drivers are around the 85th percentile by speed, so any time you reduce the speed limit below that level you are deliberately criminalising the safest drivers on the road.

Come again?

Numerous studies have shown that the safest drivers are around the 85th percentile by speed, so any time you reduce the speed limit below that level you are deliberately criminalising the safest drivers on the road.

No, sorry mate, you'll have to help me out here. My "stupid" gene is playing up again.

... the safest drivers are around the 85th percentile by speed, so any time you reduce the speed limit below that level ...

Nah. I confess. I'm a plank,

What's that all about then?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

That makes no sense for at least two reasons.

1. The 85th percentile may be the safest for drivers, but that doesn't have the slightest relevance to other road users. If I'm crossing the road on foot and a car whizzes round the corner towards me then I guarantee that the slower it's travelling, the safer I'll be.

2. It's a circular argument. If the 85th percentile is indeed the safest, then the speed limit has no bearing on anything. If you reduce the motorway speed limit to 40mph then if everyone obeys it, the 85th percentile will still be the safest. You haven't criminalised anyone except the people who break the law, as usual.

Archived