House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Austerity Drive Will Hand Billions To Private Sector

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jul/16/austerity-drive-billions-private-sector

The private sector boom comes amid the toughest financial climate for public services in a generation, and despite continued assurances from ministers that reforms to public services are aimed at achieving greater value for money and improving efficiency. Councils are braced for the biggest cuts to their budgets since 1945 and the growth in the market for privatised services has provoked anger that private shareholders, rather than taxpayers, are likely to benefit from efficiency savings that come from cuts.

Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, said: "Some private operators are going to have a field day, making a fortune from a system which will offer less public accountability." The appetite for outsourcing is so great that private firms are even vying to help set the curriculum and educational ethos of academy schools.

"If you can provide a better service at a lower cost surely the taxpayer should get the benefit, not a shareholder," said John Seddon, director of Vanguard Consulting, who argues against conventional outsourcing. "The truth is many outsourcing contracts ensure costs remain high."

Tonight the communities department conceded that badly drafted outsourcing contracts could "end up costing the taxpayer more" but insisted they could "help councils save money which can be reinvested in improving other services or helping keep council tax down".

no it wont.

just as there is NO MONEY to do the work in-house, there is NO MONEY to contract it out.

IT (whatever it is) will simply not get done if its not critical as there are NO FUNDS.

expect dirtier streets and long term repair problems in many areas.

no it wont.

just as there is NO MONEY to do the work in-house, there is NO MONEY to contract it out.

IT (whatever it is) will simply not get done if its not critical as there are NO FUNDS.

expect dirtier streets and long term repair problems in many areas.

Or people could just fix stuff themselves.

He'll be correct, until people realise the state isn't providing for them any more and they have to get on with stuff themselves.

He'll be correct, until people realise the state isn't providing for them any more and they have to get on with stuff themselves.

Well exactly.

And anybody who has read as much as a copy of the Sun in the last few weeks must be close to that realisation.

Actually, I'd say that the white van men I know have a much better idea of what is happening than the Guardian readers.

"Councils are braced for the biggest cuts to their budgets since 1945"

How can that be a bad thing?

The masters of spin have an "emergency budget" only to announce polices that take place months later. The VAT increase is of course rubbish as it will be reversed before even implemented. They talk about "massive" job losses --- tell me who exactly has lost their job so far? They, like their EU masters, talk and talk, but nothing will happen. This claptrap is to support their crap currencies from falling against the mother of crap currencies -- the dollar. Of course, in the great old USA there is no talk of austerity, just talk of more printing money. The bankers love the chaos they create. Meanwhile back in the states..... Goldman Sachs settles with the SEC for $550M...chump change. No jail time, no-one even gets fired, and the scene is set for next round of banker fraud.

The masters of spin have an "emergency budget" only to announce polices that take place months later.  The VAT increase is of course rubbish as it will be reversed before even implemented.  

They talk about "massive" job losses --- tell me who exactly has lost their job so far?   They, like their EU masters, talk and talk, but nothing will happen.  This claptrap is to support their crap currencies from falling against the mother of crap currencies -- the dollar.  Of course, in the great old USA there is no talk of austerity, just talk of more printing money.    The bankers love the chaos they create.   Meanwhile back in the states..... Goldman Sachs settles with the SEC for $550M...chump change.  No jail time, no-one even gets fired, and the scene is set for next round of banker fraud.

I understand (and welcome) your newbie fury.

Five years ago there were 6 people sharing the (public sector) work I do.

Now there are two.

in the end, people will be so sick of the stink of some broken swer for a full summer, they may club in and get the thing sorted themselves, as the other poster said too. im doing my bit to hurry things along. i flush ear buds down the loo.

OR

we can use the ranks of coming unemployed to do the grunt work for benefit money.

2 days work = 1 weeks housing and dole.

+ hang the leading bankers.

my fathers road was very badly potholed after the winter. He went out, bought tar and...er... whatever else it is that goes in potholes, and repaired them himself (note that he's a retired electrical engineer - not a road surface expert).

The potholes at the other end of the road have just been repaired last week (by the council)- it will be interesting to see which repairs last longest!

People live all along the street but they "weren't their problem".

If everyone does their bit socially then there is far less need for council money...

for instance, when there is a crime, if everyone can take up their pitch fork and burning torch....

I thought most council work was already contracted out, Dustmen, Engineering, NHS staff on hourly contracts?

I keep bumping into anecdotals of CIvil/Structural Engineering firms not closing but reduced to a skeleton crew. Smells more like shifting a pot of money that actually creates something out of the Council Budget then cutting it to oblivion while not cutting staff back. Is this the concept of transferring to the private sector, surely not?

I am still waiting for people to work out if they cut Council budgets why is Council Tax not falling. Any budget savings shall hence forth be known as Mismanagement Tax.

That is such cr*p.

They're stopping capital spending and sacking 'private sector' services first because to sack public sector staff is too hard.

What he said.

my fathers road was very badly potholed after the winter. He went out, bought tar and...er... whatever else it is that goes in potholes, and repaired them himself (note that he's a retired electrical engineer - not a road surface expert).

The potholes at the other end of the road have just been repaired last week (by the council)- it will be interesting to see which repairs last longest!

If everyone does their bit socially then there is far less need for council money...

for instance, when there is a crime, if everyone can take up their pitch fork and burning torch....

Unfortunately Highways works is not considered a priority. A bit like when a Council allegedly over ruled an Engineering design for safety barriers, few months later someone crashes and dies. Engineers work using regulation via design manuals, risk assessment and finally design checks by Senior Engineers. Councils work on which Banshee can scream the loudest, and Darwinism to allocate funding. Once they had purged Engineers out of the Council they lost the ability to comprehend, but retained to the ability to overrule ... quite scary really.

I thought most council work was already contracted out, Dustmen, Engineering, NHS staff on hourly contracts?

I keep bumping into anecdotals of CIvil/Structural Engineering firms not closing but reduced to a skeleton crew. Smells more like shifting a pot of money that actually creates something out of the Council Budget then cutting it to oblivion while not cutting staff back. Is this the concept of transferring to the private sector, surely not?

I am still waiting for people to work out if they cut Council budgets why is Council Tax not falling. Any budget savings shall hence forth be known as Mismanagement Tax.

If all the work is contracted out, why cant we have an invoice from the private firms that provide us with services? why pay the council to pay the invoices?

they will find its impossible to make profits in the absence of a public deficit without driving households into bankruptcy.

sectoral balances sum to zero.

Oh yeah? In a system of credit money endogenously created by the private banking and lending system?

The fact that this money supply is ready for a mammoth contraction after 70 years of expansion, is just tough shit for those households. You dined out on bank credit for years. Now suck it up.

"Councils are braced for the biggest cuts to their budgets since 1945"

How can that be a bad thing?

Err because people who rely on services like the elderly, the young and the poor will be the people who suffer.

And thousands of people who do actual jobs (rather than trading property, metals and spouting right wing drivel on the internet) will have their lives thrown into chaos.

Why are there so many uncaring sociopaths on this forum?

Well exactly.

And anybody who has read as much as a copy of the Sun in the last few weeks must be close to that realisation.

Actually, I'd say that the white van men I know have a much better idea of what is happening than the Guardian readers.

That's because they're private sector and have had a clear view of reality for the past three years. Guardian readers tend to be public sector.

Err because people who rely on services like the elderly, the young and the poor will be the people who suffer.

And thousands of people who do actual jobs (rather than trading property, metals and spouting right wing drivel on the internet) will have their lives thrown into chaos.

Why are there so many uncaring sociopaths on this forum?

err, frankly, it takes a sociopath to think that poor people want council services run to convenience the middle classes with unnecesary services, or employees with early retirement, paid for by - you guessed it - the poor and the young, with jobs and not the time to use the latest installation in the park / community centre / library

using 'the poor' from a confessed middle class public sector benefitee constitutes empty threats - 'give me all your tax money or the poor people get it'. I think the country saw thru this nasty threatening behaviour several years ago.

If all the work is contracted out, why cant we have an invoice from the private firms that provide us with services? why pay the council to pay the invoices?

Indeed, a strange world we live in. I know of one council that lends money for profit yet can not maintain good quality public access 100 yards from the high street.

The bidding system is a nightmare too, it equates to the cheapest wins with a quality factor built in. In real life you get left with a draw of blunt knives, rusting radiators, and a PC that crashes if the wind changes and that assumes the company stays afloat long enough to deliver the goods.

Assuming its not a private road, keep it quiet though, as far as real location and name. I admire the idea, but sadly due to compensation culture, if something happens as a result of the repair, he could find himself liable. It's the same for any repairs we do, sad little world we live in.

Just do it quietly and don't tell anyone, kind of like a caped crusader, maybe a shovel wielding crusader, sneaks out in the middle of the day and mysteriously fixes things.

err, frankly, it takes a sociopath to think that poor people want council services run to convenience the middle classes with unnecesary services, or employees with early retirement, paid for by - you guessed it - the poor and the young, with jobs and not the time to use the latest installation in the park / community centre / library

using 'the poor' from a confessed middle class public sector benefitee constitutes empty threats - 'give me all your tax money or the poor people get it'. I think the country saw thru this nasty threatening behaviour several years ago.

Any chance of some actual examples of the pointless services that the middle classes patronise the poor with?

Assuming its not a private road, keep it quiet though, as far as real location and name. I admire the idea, but sadly due to compensation culture, if something happens as a result of the repair, he could find himself liable. It's the same for any repairs we do, sad little world we live in.

Just do it quietly and don't tell anyone, kind of like a caped crusader, maybe a shovel wielding crusader, sneaks out in the middle of the day and mysteriously fixes things.

to get compo, the complainant must prove NEGLIGENCE.

filling a hole cant be negligence. if you fill it with the wrong stuff, its still not negligence as the hole is the cause.

too many people, specially LAs, just bend over and pay up.

I'm tempted to fix the local roads myself. They are terrible and the council too busy running gyms. :blink:

This government is a complete nightmare. The cuts, plans to half the licence fee, increase in fines & VAT and the growing divide between the us and the uk and the uk and europe is going to leave this country in tatters.

If anyone on this forum thinks this is actually going to be good for the UK they really need help. This is a republican tea party movement running rabid in the UK. These policies left the US bankrupt it will be far worse here.

Most people on this forum who have jobs won't have one next year.