House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battenberg

Need Some Laptop Advice Oh Wise Ones

Please techie experts give me your advice.

I'm in need of a new laptop and I've managed to get myself a bit bamboozled over choice.

I've been looking at i5 processor with 250 HD and 2GB of Ram however I'm not sure if I should go for an i3 processor with 320HD and 4GB Ram. These are my options based on price.

I don't have very many files, excel etc but hold loads of images. I need it to do a trillion things at once as I'm incredibly impatient and often working on 3 windows at a time. It's got to be about speed more than anything.

What say you?

Get a life.

I think you forgot the (note to self) bit at the start, mate.

Acer laptops are well put together, although the keyboards are very widely spaced on some models.

I'm in need of a new laptop and I've managed to get myself a bit bamboozled over choice.

I've been looking at i5 processor with 250 HD and 2GB of Ram however I'm not sure if I should go for an i3 processor with 320HD and 4GB Ram. These are my options based on price.

I don't have very many files, excel etc but hold loads of images. I need it to do a trillion things at once as I'm incredibly impatient and often working on 3 windows at a time. It's got to be about speed more than anything.

What say you?

My advice is buy one from John Lewis for the 2 year guarantee. I bought a Toshiba from them, and annoyingly it has broken twice now, but they did fix it for free.

Not much you can say. Just get the most powerful notebook you can afford. I've always been an HP Compaq guy myself but would concur that Acers have served me well too (I have two Acer netbooks).

It doesn't matter what you buy! It will go out of date and a few buttons will fall off! :blink:

What say you?

CPUs are not replaceable or upgradeable, ram is. Personally I would look at the i5 rather than the i3 and plan to spend money on a 4gb upgrade later on.

As for manufacturer that is down to personal choice. I've only used Dell for years because I've never had a problem with them but that could be down to pure luck.

Personally I'd look and see what dell outlet have in stock or look on ebay but the choice is up to you.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

What was that for?

Trolling joy.

My advice is buy one from John Lewis for the 2 year guarantee. I bought a Toshiba from them, and annoyingly it has broken twice now, but they did fix it for free.

It was Toshiba Tecra I was looking at. I currently have a Lenovo which had a 3 year warranty, currently due to expire.

I wasn't sure about the new processors. Seeing as it will be attached to my fingertips pretty much consistently for the next 3 years I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas on the new ones. I can claim the VAT back which helps but was looking for recommendations.

I got a Dell Vostro 1400 before the squared it off and turned it ugly anyway superb little laptop never had a single problem and because it was business model I got both Vista Business and XP Pro disc (for free!). Also it is made of metal alloy so it is tough as hell!

Only crap thing is the speakers are a little rubbish but they do the job.

Vaio do a laptops with 8gb of ram. mines a FW series with widescreen so ideal for multiple windows etc. HD screen, bluray recorder etc. it's the nuts. expect to pay over £1200 though.

The new Acer TimelineX laptops looks excellent and are getting good reviews. You can get i3 or i5 versions, they are light, and thin with excellent battery life. You can also get them in 13.3, 14 or 15.4 inch versions.

yeah another +10 for acer, more bang for your buck if you get the right one. Samsung are good too. You want a nice quad core laptop, Last time I used CPU charts to get a better understand of performance, and to cut through the BS. The most important thing is to find out the exact version of the CPU and find it in the CPU chart and see how it performs in relation to other CPUS:

http://www.cpubenchm...h_end_cpus.html

My laptop runs 64bit Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 (Quad core), which gives it a score of 3,039. I got it over 1 year ago, but it is still faster than almost all the desktops/notebooks you buy in a normal shop. Acer are making a 17inch version of my lappy here (mine has a 19inch screen). But Im sure if you look you will be able to find a better speced lappy for less. If you just go into a shop, or choose randomly online you will be sold a 'fast' laptop but you will almost certainly get a CPU that isnt as fast as you could have got for less...

Oh this lappy looks GREAT:

http://www.play.com/...4|cat:Computers

Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV7 / Intel Core i7 720QM Quad 1.6GHz / 4GB / 500GB / DVD-SM / 17.3 inch / Windows 7 Home Premium / Laptop / Notebook

Its only a 1.6 BUT it has an amazing CPU score of 3,239, its quad core and mega fast...

its an i7 CPU and it is in the upper half on the high performance CPU chart. The i5 mobile CPUS you mention appear to be 700ish slower than the CPU in this laptop.. If you buy the right laptop with a really good cpu it will last you years rather than just one of two, give it a SSD and it will last even longer

It was Toshiba Tecra I was looking at. I currently have a Lenovo which had a 3 year warranty, currently due to expire.

I wasn't sure about the new processors. Seeing as it will be attached to my fingertips pretty much consistently for the next 3 years I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas on the new ones. I can claim the VAT back which helps but was looking for recommendations.

Difficult to recommend mine since it has broken twice, but I guess that was just a bit unlucky. When its working its fine, but pretty much all I use it for is internet browsing and streaming music to my squeezebox. Cant honestly remember what the range is called, was about £500 from john lewis.

Like eek said, get the one with the faster CPU, you can always upgrade the RAM later. Some of the best value laptops can be got from Dell

Guest Noodle

Oh this lappy looks GREAT:

http://www.play.com/...4|cat:Computers

Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV7 / Intel Core i7 720QM Quad 1.6GHz / 4GB / 500GB / DVD-SM / 17.3 inch / Windows 7 Home Premium / Laptop / Notebook

Its only a 1.6 BUT it has an amazing CPU score of 3,239, its quad core and mega fast...

its an i7 CPU and it is in the upper half on the high performance CPU chart.  The i5 mobile CPUS you mention appear to be 700ish slower than the CPU in this laptop.. If you buy the right laptop with a really good cpu it will last you years rather than just one of two, give it a SSD and it will last even longer

Avoid like a dose of the clap. Hewlett Packard is a no no.

Toshiba or Sony.

Eek! Not confused at all now :blink:

I did go into PC worlds business section (I know, I know) and go through some stuff. I had my Lenovo from them and the 3 year warranty was a real bonus. Covered it when it went t!ts up in the 3rd year and was back with me within 48 hours. Great customer services from IBM.

The chappy in PC world recommended Toshiba to me above everything else based on reliability. I'm boringly unimpulsive and have to make sure I'm buying the right thing like my life depends on it. Strangely not the same when it comes to diamonds.

Buying the best processor and upgrading everything else makes sense though.

Eek! Not confused at all now :blink:

I did go into PC worlds business section (I know, I know) and go through some stuff. I had my Lenovo from them and the 3 year warranty was a real bonus. Covered it when it went t!ts up in the 3rd year and was back with me within 48 hours. Great customer services from IBM.

The chappy in PC world recommended Toshiba to me above everything else based on reliability. I'm boringly unimpulsive and have to make sure I'm buying the right thing like my life depends on it. Strangely not the same when it comes to diamonds.

Buying the best processor and upgrading everything else makes sense though.

what ever you do find out the exact CPU model, go to the link in my earlier post and search for the CPU in the link. The higher the number the faster the CPU. Thats all you need to know, you can then go into PC world and find out how fast or slow the laptops really are... IMHO You want a PassMark of at least 3000, the higher the number the faster.

what ever you do find out the exact CPU model, go to the link in my earlier post and search for the CPU in the link.  The higher the number the faster the CPU.  Thats all you need to know, you can then go into PC world and find out how fast or slow the laptops really are... IMHO You want a PassMark of at least 3000, the higher the number the faster.

Thankyou.