House Price Crash Forum

There Are Some Scary People On The Internet

Guest mmm....beer

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

It's interesting isn't it. Just because someone thinks in a different way to everyone else, as long as the everyone else group all nod in agreement, the alternative thinker is obviously a danger.

It's interesting. Just because a group of people think someone is a prrrrick ... they get accused of 'group think'. Sometimes the person is actually just a prrrrick.

HOLA444

It's interesting. Just because a group of people think someone is a prrrrick ... they get accused of 'group think'. Sometimes the person is actually just a prrrrick.

That is true. Isn't it also possible the group can follow someone who is a prrrrick without them knowing it.

For most people it's all about the comfort from safety in numbers.

HOLA445
HOLA446

That is true. Isn't it also possible the group can follow someone who is a prrrrick without them knowing it.

Quite true.

That is the only explanation I can find, for example, of Gordon Brown becoming leader of the Labour Party and Prime Minister!

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's interesting isn't it. Just because someone thinks in a different way to everyone else, as long as the everyone else group all nod in agreement, the alternative thinker is obviously a danger.

Well there is a lot of that on Facebook. Got savaged merely for going against all the iPhone/apple crap.

HOLA449
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Like all those tossers buying overpriced houses because they were beguiled by the giant norks of the presenter of "Bling Yo Shack"

HOLA4410

Like all those tossers buying overpriced houses because they were beguiled by the giant norks of the presenter of "Bling Yo Shack"

That would be such a fantastic name for a show. You should record a few for internet TV. You'd be a great comical TV presenter.

You could argue, I guess, that most HPCers are sociopaths as they want house prices to crash for their benefit at the expenses of the 'group' of home owners.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

He is no sociopath!

Most sciopaths can only feel anger and rage.

Suppressing his anger is giving him depression.

He just keeps too tight a rein on his feelings.

He is trying to be honest, but this is just a way to get people to reject him.

Probably he thought he was abanded in childhood.

Not one of us would do any thing for any one else if there was not a reward of some sort and that is fact. :P

HOLA4415

True, but for a lot of people feeling good about doing something nice for someone else is reward enough sometimes - from his initial post he seems to be lacking that which suggests lack of empathy.

He sounds like the type who would never tell a (white) lie even if it saved someone's feelings. Perhaps he's only half way through maturing.

ccc? Opinion?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Well there is a lot of that on Facebook. Got savaged merely for going against all the iPhone/apple crap.

That happens on here, too.

Do you remember the 'Should I buy and iPad' thread on here a few weeks ago? On that, it was deemed to be coming over all superior to say that perhaps folks should not just buy the latest shiny thing because it's the latest shiny thing. And I seem to recall it was done in pretty strong terms.

HOLA4418

"What most people don't realize is that emotions are a choice we make to fit a situation. You don't have to be angry. What you have to realize is that there is nothing and nobody that can "make" you feel, act, see, think, etc. a certain way. Its all a choice. When you say "He MADE me angry" , you're giving your self control to that person. If you have any pride and self respect, that's unacceptable. ........... That doesn't sound like the talk of a nutter to me. Sounds more like someone who has worked hard thinking things through!

HOLA4419

"What most people don't realize is that emotions are a choice we make to fit a situation. You don't have to be angry. What you have to realize is that there is nothing and nobody that can "make" you feel, act, see, think, etc. a certain way. Its all a choice. When you say "He MADE me angry" , you're giving your self control to that person. If you have any pride and self respect, that's unacceptable. ........... That doesn't sound like the talk of a nutter to me. Sounds more like someone who has worked hard thinking things through!

+1 I agree with him to a certain extent on this point. Not that you can 'choose' your initial emotional response to a situation, rather you can choose whether to let the situation determine your ultimate emotional response, if you know what i mean?

But then I read on and learned he likes to store his filthy yoghurt in jars.

HOLA4420

That was sort of my point - perhaps he's half-way through the process but has yet to return to less zen-like humanity. Or he's a *****, difficult to tell.

What on earth in b3ta anyway?

HOLA4421

That was sort of my point - perhaps he's half-way through the process but has yet to return to less zen-like humanity. Or he's a *****, difficult to tell.

What on earth in b3ta anyway?

I recently discovered b3ta - it seems to be primarily a forum where the members take the piss out of current affairs through photoshopped images and animations. Some real laugh out loud stuff over there. If you're into music, check out their animated albums challenge;

http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/animatedalbums/

wolfhound.gif

elvismas.gif

beatlesnaziwalk.gif

HOLA4422

+1  I agree with him to a certain extent on this point. Not that you can 'choose' your initial emotional response to a situation, rather you can choose whether to let the situation determine your ultimate emotional response, if you know what i mean?

But then I read on and learned he likes to store his filthy yoghurt in jars.

Er... yes, there is that! Perhaps he has more work to do! :lol:

HOLA4423

I just came across this on B3ta. It's either an example of trolling that would put some of our posters to shame or Patrick Bateman - I really can't decide.

he's right though about being able to choose what emotions you feel. that was one of the messages of classical stoicism which has since been rediscovered by cognitive therapists such as albert ellis ("reason and emotion in psychotherapy") who posit that while emotions start with an endocrine response, the final form that they take is conditioned by (often faulty) reasoning.

a good practical example of the malleability of emotion is when tv japester jeremy beadle used to wind people up to almost homicidal rages which would dissolve into hilarity when his fake beard came off.

"If you are distressed by any external thing, it is not this thing which disturbs you, but your own judgment about it. And it is in your power to wipe out that judgment now."

--Marcus Aurelius.

HOLA4424

My first thought when I read the OP was sociopath/psychopath though, or possibly Vulcan.

You mean his girlfriend?

What sort of idiot asks, "If a child were being murdered, would you ...?"

If the moon were made of cheese and you were a mouse, would you invent space travel?

The OP seems to have a highly rational approach, complete with smug superiority. Nothing more. But I haven't read the rest of the thread.

HOLA4425

I recently discovered b3ta - it seems to be primarily a forum where the members take the piss out of current affairs through photoshopped images and animations. Some real laugh out loud stuff over there. If you're into music, check out their animated albums challenge;

This tickled me:

itelephony.jpg

Archived