House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Recession Now Officially A Depression

Yes it's official, it's now a depression.

Work in defence sector. Loss of contracts due to recent cuts and general poor outlook means 9% of the workforce in our IT are redunderized. At moment I'm merely 'at risk' with about 1/3 of those at risk to go. However, my boss hates me so the redunderization criteria will be twisted every which way to make sure I'm out.

Ah well financially I won't be too bad off. We live well within our means and have paid off our mortgage. The only real concern is being out of work and all the effects on mental health, confidence etc.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Work in defence sector. Loss of contracts due to recent cuts and general poor outlook means 9% of the workforce in our IT are redunderized. At moment I'm merely 'at risk' with about 1/3 of those at risk to go. However, my boss hates me so the redunderization criteria will be twisted every which way to make sure I'm out.

Ah well financially I won't be too bad off. We live well within our means and have paid off our mortgage. The only real concern is being out of work and all the effects on mental health, confidence etc.

I reckon my company will cease trading by the end of the year too.

they should improve

they should improve

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, my allotment should be a lot more productive. I might even win the prize for best allotment next year. I should also lose a bit of weight too. Being stuck at a desk all day and a near total lack of exercise means that I'm really not fit anymore. I'm carrying about a stone to a stone + 1/2 of fat. Currently nearly 80kg - I reckon 72kg would be my target.

Hi Gardener

Will your company be getting in, or offering you, support to look for other vacancies, support with CV etc..?

If you are made redundant, make sure you find out what support is available out there...

Ring Learn Direct, to see if there are any provision for graduate/professionals - 0800 100 900...

Keep active, go to the gym, get into hobbies interests that you enjoy..

Don't become isolated and find out what is happening in your local community, for e.g. business start up support

Hope this helps

Feral

Buy an ice-making machine. It worked well for your avatar.

p-o-p

Sorry to hear this. My missus has been off work for 18 months now (promised contract never materialised). The key thing is to see it as an opportunity to do other stuff before you get too old to do other stuff. As we are now all going to retire at 90 there's plenty of time left to do another job. We're lucky in being near the mountians, a drive through them reminds you how insignificant human life is to the planet. Our problems are not real - life is very very good.

Hope it all works out OK - sure it will.

I was in a meeting on Monday at a local authority who were preparing for 35-40% cutbacks.

All the nice things (arts, sports, leisure provision) are axed already, this was about waste collections, environmental health, planning etc having to lose 30% of their staff.

I don't think people realise the absolute armageddon that is coming to public services.

Just to add a few details, I'm 40 and am (was?) employed as an Oracle Apps DBA. 10 years experience.

Just spoke to my autistic boss (the one who hates me). He rang me about an unrelated issue. I asked if he had any news for me. He asked "about what?" I think that tells me all I need to know really.

Yes, my allotment should be a lot more productive. I might even win the prize for best allotment next year. I should also lose a bit of weight too. Being stuck at a desk all day and a near total lack of exercise means that I'm really not fit anymore. I'm carrying about a stone to a stone + 1/2 of fat. Currently nearly 80kg - I reckon 72kg would be my target.

80kg!! ... I dream of 80kg, currently coming in around the 110kg mark :(

This any use to you?

DBA Job

I was an architectural engineer...........still am but the last job i did was 3 months ago...................i was VERY busy during the boom, so i got a lot stashed...........but i am sorry to hear this.

Mike

Just to add a few details, I'm 40 and am (was?) employed as an Oracle Apps DBA. 10 years experience.

Just spoke to my autistic boss (the one who hates me). He rang me about an unrelated issue. I asked if he had any news for me. He asked "about what?" I think that tells me all I need to know really.

Bit obvious really but why don't you do what I did 2 months back and launch a gardening business? Round my way there are heaps of retired folks on gold plated pensions, often the chap dies and leaves Mavis unable to mow, trim hedges etc - plus there are holiday homes where the owners need a local gardener anyway.

I am struggling a bit to learn the difference between Caribbean foliage and UK plants but getting there....I outlayed 1200 quid on new pro-am equipment and have already made that back and am now slipping into profit. Since you already know your plants etc, you will clean up! Aeging population and all that. The best news for another computer bound fatty like you (like I was) is that I have lost 171bs in weight and am feeling heaps fitter in just 2 months - lots of aches to start with but getting stronger too.

Another bonus is that with the depression there are heaps of unwanted Transit vans around to snap up cheap - and since the population is getting older and fatter and less into gardening anyway, work can only go up.

(PM me if you want a cheap website - my web work goes on but is down so diversification meant a lot to our security) B)

Bit obvious really but why don't you do what I did 2 months back and launch a gardening business? Round my way there are heaps of retired folks on gold plated pensions, often the chap dies and leaves Mavis unable to mow, trim hedges etc - plus there are holiday homes where the owners need a local gardener anyway.

I am struggling a bit to learn the difference between Caribbean foliage and UK plants but getting there....I outlayed 1200 quid on new pro-am equipment and have already made that back and am now slipping into profit. Since you already know your plants etc, you will clean up! Aeging population and all that. The best news for another computer bound fatty like you (like I was) is that I have lost 171bs in weight and am feeling heaps fitter in just 2 months - lots of aches to start with but getting stronger too.

Another bonus is that with the depression there are heaps of unwanted Transit vans around to snap up cheap - and since the population is getting older and fatter and less into gardening anyway, work can only go up.

(PM me if you want a cheap website - my web work goes on but is down so diversification meant a lot to our security) B)

Are you still doing the cabbie work CB? Is Tony Gent still the Licensing Officer at North Norfolk DC?

Are you still doing the cabbie work CB? Is Tony Gent still the Licensing Officer at North Norfolk DC?

Hi KB, yes he is there (nice guy, always happy to advise). I could not make it pay - got plenty of work but I discovered the fundamental flaw in being a lone wolf rural cabbie - the dead mileage factor. You get a job from village a to village b but never get anything in return so come back empty. Fuel costs rose 20% in just 6 months and insurance renewal would have been 50% higher so I jacked it in.

But I learned my way around and some of my regular pensioners are now using me for gardening and odd jobs!

The thing with gardening work is that it has virtually no overheads if you do not employ anyone and once you have bought the gear and van. Plus it has led to indoor painting, and other odd jobs* - and unlike taxi work, you fit the client's needs around your own diary, not work to suite their diary.

*clearing attics etc - the clients even give you stuff they no longer want if you remove it, eg a bike which I washed and sold for a tenner on Gumtree. There is still plenty of money in the grey pound - for now at least.

How is your line of work going?

This is one of my redundancy/retirement ideas also - glad it's working for you. I reckon there is quite a big need because of the ageing population. The old ladies will want someone to do all the little jobs their husbands did (no jokes please). You don't need to be a skilled worker, just a general handyman with good contacts to get in tradesmen if needed. If you are polite and reliable your reputation will spread via the old lady network of bingo, church, etc.

I would say to the OP that mentally you WILL be better off. I recently took a sabbatical and did a few hours voluntary remedial teaching work every day and it was great - enough work to get me out of bed but not to get me stressed. This idea that sitting in an office shuffling papers all day somehow gives your life meaning is nonsense, IMO.

Have you thought of turning this into a opportunity: if you get booted out, retrain in something new?

Oracle skills are very outsource-able :( heck, that was one of my motivations for moving away from it 3 years ago. You could take stock, move into a new area - one which has got decent growth prospects over the next decade?

Hi KB, yes he is there (nice guy, always happy to advise). I could not make it pay - got plenty of work but I discovered the fundamental flaw in being a lone wolf rural cabbie - the dead mileage factor. You get a job from village a to village b but never get anything in return so come back empty. Fuel costs rose 20% in just 6 months and insurance renewal would have been 50% higher so I jacked it in.

But I learned my way around and some of my regular pensioners are now using me for gardening and odd jobs!

The thing with gardening work is that it has virtually no overheads if you do not employ anyone and once you have bought the gear and van. Plus it has led to indoor painting, and other odd jobs* - and unlike taxi work, you fit the client's needs around your own diary, not work to suite their diary.

*clearing attics etc - the clients even give you stuff they no longer want if you remove it, eg a bike which I washed and sold for a tenner on Gumtree. There is still plenty of money in the grey pound - for now at least.

How is your line of work going?

I used to be in charge of a division of a Council Dept in Norfolk which included Taxi / Private Hire Licensing - very cut throat and running old dears about just doesn't meet the bills on all accounts. Those who made money did it on volumes - school and social service contracts, corporate contracts, airport runs.

Reliable odd job men are hard to come by these days - in an area like North Norfolk with an average age of about 80 and plenty of money you should do well.

My line of work very robust. I work for a pub co which has weathered the recession very well so far. Much of my work is batting off spurious claims - which have rocketted since the recession.

However I am currently awaiting a VISA for Saudi Arabia as I have been offered a job with Aramco. Passed all medicals and clearances. Visa Invitation letter is apparently at Saudi Embassy in London so should be processed in the next week or two.

Due to the tax free status of the job, free accomodation and the rent I can get for my pad here I would need to earn 6 figures to match the take home - so no brainer really.

Hoping to be sunning myself on Ras Tanura Beach by the end of October B)

This is one of my redundancy/retirement ideas also - glad it's working for you. I reckon there is quite a big need because of the ageing population. The old ladies will want someone to do all the little jobs their husbands did (no jokes please). You don't need to be a skilled worker, just a general handyman with good contacts to get in tradesmen if needed. If you are polite and reliable your reputation will spread via the old lady network of bingo, church, etc.

I would say to the OP that mentally you WILL be better off. I recently took a sabbatical and did a few hours voluntary remedial teaching work every day and it was great - enough work to get me out of bed but not to get me stressed. This idea that sitting in an office shuffling papers all day somehow gives your life meaning is nonsense, IMO.

Spot-on - that is exactly how word spreads. I started with a few 50p per week postcards and word is spreading (nicely printed using vistaprint where I also bought liveried tshirts, cap, magnetic vehicle signage etc cheap).

Another tip for literate IT savvy folks like us is this piece of feedback - during the boom years most gardeners around here were barely literate and often kept no records or even a diary. Consequently they would often forget to turn up for bookings, or do the maintenance when they felt like it. Many old folks hate this and love to see punctual people turning up regularly and on time, they get stressed when their habitual lifestyle is messed up.

Hence simply by always turning up on time and reliably - and being able to read and write, issuing receipts etc which they like - my reputation is spreading. It is not rocket science but I reckon a lot of uneducated gardeners are going to suffer as more and more educated folks lose their careers and try their hand at this kind of work. Sorry if that sounds snobby, just an observation really - most of those guys know heaps more about flora than I do but they upset their client base by their laid back organisational skills

Edited by Caribbean Beauty

I used to be in charge of a division of a Council Dept in Norfolk which included Taxi / Private Hire Licensing - very cut throat and running old dears about just doesn't meet the bills on all accounts. Those who made money did it on volumes - school and social service contracts, corporate contracts, airport runs.

Reliable odd job men are hard to come by these days - in an area like North Norfolk with an average age of about 80 and plenty of money you should do well.

My line of work very robust. I work for a pub co which has weathered the recession very well so far. Much of my work is batting off spurious claims - which have rocketted since the recession.

However I am currently awaiting a VISA for Saudi Arabia as I have been offered a job with Aramco. Passed all medicals and clearances. Visa Invitation letter is apparently at Saudi Embassy in London so should be processed in the next week or two.

Due to the tax free status of the job, free accomodation and the rent I can get for my pad here I would need to earn 6 figures to match the take home - so no brainer really.

Hoping to be sunning myself on Ras Tanura Beach by the end of October B)

From a pub chain to a dry country! Best of luck with the new work, do keep us posted (and make sure and post lots of pics of the Saudi beach totty in the OT forum - I just love women in black, from head to toe.......not!).

Yes the local guys with school and disability driving contracts do quite well - but the red tape was awful to get those, eg if you so much as smile at a kid you get "Gary Glittered" and kicked off. Not only that, but thanks to this forum I could foresee that such lucrative contracts to drive folks around c/o council money won't be around for long with the cuts coming. Charities will end up helping some, and others will just have to get the bus or stay at home.

From a pub chain to a dry country! Best of luck with the new work, do keep us posted (and make sure and post lots of pics of the Saudi beach totty in the OT forum - I just love women in black, from head to toe.......not!).

Yes the local guys with school and disability driving contracts do quite well - but the red tape was awful to get those, eg if you so much as smile at a kid you get "Gary Glittered" and kicked off. Not only that, but thanks to this forum I could foresee that such lucrative contracts to drive folks around c/o council money won't be around for long with the cuts coming. Charities will end up helping some, and others will just have to get the bus or stay at home.

I thought kiddy fiddling in Holt Woods was one of the excepted perks for Social Services / Education dept Contract drivers up your way? :unsure:

Fortunately Aramco has private beaches at Ras Tanura and Half moon Bay where western beach wear is permitted (although it is suggested Ladies wear one piece rather than two piece bikini's). Bahrain is 90 minutes away so if I am in desperate need of a weekend drink......

Anyway I will be on a compound where I am told homebrew parties are not uncommon. In the supermarkets they sell 'breadmaking yeast' alonside grape juice ;)

Guest Noodle

Seriously, enjoy it. Work/professional life and all that 'I must be someone' stuff is a nonsense. Be a champion grower instead.

The only psychological issues you'll have is wondering why you put up with it all for so many years and what a waste of life it was.