House Price Crash Forum

For Sale With No For Sale Sign

HOLA441

Has anybody else noticed this?

In the road where I live, there are about 7 houses for sale - but none have For Sale signs up. I know they are For Sale because they appear in the local paper, estate agent windows and on Rightmove.

I have also noticed something similar with other houses in the area whereby they appear in the paper but with no For Sale sign, but suddenly a Sold sign appears when (presumably) they are sold.

Perhaps it is because the sellers want it this way, but could it also be a way of EA's managing buyers to make them think that when they are looking at the property, there are no other for sale/no sold signs in the road - therefore this must be a special road where they do not come up for sale that often - and hence MUST buy now at the asking price? or perhaps sold signs attract potential buyers/sellers to the EA as opposed to abundant for sale signs?

Anybody else noticed this, or see it differently?

HOLA442

People who don't want their neighbours to know they're leaving?

Someone sold round the corner without a sign. We knew because we were keeping an eye on local properties...

The people who bought it then tried to sell it wihtin weeks of moving in... they're still there though - they wante d17k more than they paid for it... but they used a sale sign...

:)

In the road where I live, there are about 7 houses for sale - but none have For Sale signs up. I know they are For Sale because they appear in the local paper, estate agent windows and on Rightmove.

I have also noticed something similar with other houses in the area whereby they appear in the paper but with no For Sale sign, but suddenly a Sold sign appears when (presumably) they are sold.

Perhaps it is because the sellers want it this way, but could it also be a way of EA's managing buyers to make them think that when they are looking at the property, there are no other for sale/no sold signs in the road - therefore this must be a special road where they do not come up for sale that often - and hence MUST buy now at the asking price? or perhaps sold signs attract potential buyers/sellers to the EA as opposed to abundant for sale signs?

HOLA443

Reverse Awooga!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Get with the program kiddo. The new houses for sale are not in fact for sale, while the houses not for sale are for sale. It was a cunning plan devised in early 2005 by a Luton EA professor in an attempt to not show to everyone that most (if not all) houses are in fact for sale thus disputing any evidence of a buyers market.

Think out the box. :blink:

HOLA449

Probably a load of "for sale" signs sends out a bad sign.

If there is so much for sale it can weaken confidence.

EAs dont want confidence weakened.

Noticed this recently on a local block of flats. About 10 signs up. Then removed.

Reappeared days later in the windows of the properties.

HOLA4410
In my experience of EA's all of them prefer you to use a sign, after all, it increases their exposure and further marketing of the property.

IMO the reason for no for sale sign is down to the vendor not wanting other people to know their selling up.

Why did my neigbour have signs up from November and only recently remove them?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Get with the program kiddo. The new houses for sale are not in fact for sale, while the houses not for sale are for sale. It was a cunning plan devised in early 2005 by a Luton EA professor in an attempt to not show to everyone that most (if not all) houses are in fact for sale thus disputing any evidence of a buyers market.

Think out the box.  :blink:

Shaker - please tell me this country does not have a professor of EA. Please.

I can imagine one in the states, but please, not here......

HOLA4413

Toronto NSW Australia

I can't say that I've noticed the absence of advertising signs, but one thing I have noticed, is that prices are dropping without being advertised.

A few months ago, every time a property was reduced in price, it would warrant a 'Reduced' banner across it's ad. Now it's common for a house to drop 30 or 40 thousand without even a mention.

I believe that the agents are trying to hide the obvious signs of a market that seems to be entering a state of freefall.

Local EA's are laying off staff and enforcing job sharing, they inform me that properties over 400K are impossible to sell, and the local property supplement that I monitor closely, shows over two hundred properties a week coming onto the market in this area.

Last week, a rather nice 'Waterfront' that had been on the market for 1.2 Million Dollars, quietly dropped it's price by $205,000......... tragic :D:D:D

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I asked my estate agent 3 times to have a sign put up (I wanted on as it would make the house easier for viewers to find) they kept saying we will get on it it right away, but never did.

oldly enough it took them about 1/2 day to put a sold sign up! :angry:

Most agents have outsourced the sign erection side of things. They pay a fee for each sign erected to a 3rd party.

If the stock of unsold housing is increasing, they have increasing costs of erection, which in effect advertises their failure to sell.

Maybe they prefer to spend the money on the "sold" signs as it advertises their success rather than failure.