House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Up To A Quarter Of A Million Could Miss Out On University Places

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7892525/Up-to-a-quarter-of-a-million-could-miss-out-on-university-places.html

More than 660,000 people applied for a university place this autumn, up almost 12 per cent on last year’s record-breaking figures.

There were 68,000 more applications this year compared with 2009 after growing numbers opted for education instead of trying to find a job.

There was also a significant increase in applications from would-be mature students and those who missed out on places last year.

Applications from foreign candidates were also up by 15 per cent, with 100,000 overseas students seeking places, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service said.

School leavers who would traditionally take the places could be disappointed and the University and College Union, the main lecturers’ union, warned of a “lost generation” who would miss out on higher education.

The number of places for British and European Union students is capped and vice-chancellors face fines if they exceed their limits, which will be set later this year.

Last year, 373,793 British and European students were awarded places on undergraduate courses at English universities when 592,312 had applied for places.

This year 660,953 have applied, including 54,254 from outside the EU, meaning around 225,000 students, a record number, will miss out.

I wonder how many of these will simply end up claiming the dole?

An unexpected increase in the number of claimants looming?

There was a student phone in to Five live the other day whinging that she couldn't sign on and claim JSA. She hadn't found a job in the month or so since leaving college.

No one seemed to want to tell her that "you're a student." They can't sign on til September these days.

According to the Telegraph figures, 219,000 missed out last year, so it's not news really, since it includes 54k applications from outside the EU. I expect there are quite a few 'mature student' applications in there. 100k applying in total from outside the UK, hmmm, all 'students' I bet.

Edited by deflation

why cant they sign on? The year (and loan) end in may after the exams in the last year and not till sep as in other years

Yes,YES, Y E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop wasting your time & money & my money.......F*ck off to KFC/Bugger King & start flipping that sh*t son!

Girls?..............Follow me......line up here...........oh come it nothing you have not done before....& this time you get PAID!

Mike

Edited by Mega

Up To A Quarter Of A Million Could Miss Out On massive university debt by not going.

They'll all be very pleased in the long run. There should probably be another 250,000 not going either who would also be pleased one day. To spend £20k + just to do a 'noddy' degree which will not help them one bit in obtaining employment is a con trick and drag on taxpayers too. There are far too many degrees out there which are useless to the economy.

A target of 50% people doing degrees means the academic standard will be dropping and a 'degree just ain't what it used to be'. Now we can see that putting all this money into Universities or even CFE's which suddenly call themselves Uni's does not actually help the attendees or the country. Better off with vocational training or apprenticeships for many many people.

OH NO !! 1/4 fewer people with a 2.1 in media studies and a sense of entitlement .. How will the country cope !

So many people doing things like media studies, criminology etc who then find there are very few jobs for them. They are just in a sea of applicants looking for work. In fact for many, they require training for an actual job..and they still can't spell.

I don't know why we should be so obsessed with this word 'degree'. Much better to prepare young people for work than have them acquire impossible debts for a qualification of dubious value. I don't see the last Govts policy as an act of kindness.

Edited by plummet expert

A target of 50% people doing degrees means the academic standard will be dropping and a 'degree just ain't what it used to be'. Now we can see that putting all this money into Universities or even CFE's which suddenly call themselves Uni's does not actually help the attendees or the country. Better off with vocational training or apprenticeships for many many people.

A target of 50% has also meant that many jobs that previously required just good A-levels - good admin jobs - now require degrees to get them. That's really why so many people are trying to get into uni - the goalposts of entry-level jobs have shifted.

The start of the slippery slope I'm afraid, and they better get used to it.

I fear for the school-leavers today, with high expectations of life (from watching Glee/Fame/Mama Mia/all the other sh1te) and very little on the horizon for them.

I had a quick look at the ages of the 20+ drivers I schedule, and there's only 2 of them under 40. The only applicants we see that are younger than 40 are ex-service guys who have passed they're class C before leaving the forces. I can't recall ever seeing an application from someone less than 40 who has funded their training privately, or had it paid by an employer.

All those poor s0ds with good standard and higher grades destined for minimum wage jobs for the next 10 years.....

Small wonder we've had 4 young guys in Dundee top themselves over the last fortnight.

There has been massive qualification inflation in recent years.

Degree grades are meaningless, even within the same subject and the university they are from is more a socio-economic indicator than a measure of the student.

Employers complain that graduates are useless at doing anything, though their expectations may be unrealistic.

Degrees are no longer a measure of ability in the workplace, and probably were never were or meant to be.

It is time that employers used more appropriate ways of assessing ability for a particular job.

Then the package on offer can be lower pay BUT with training/further education and with no student debt.

Hey, isn't that how lots of people became surveyors, solicitors in the past?

There has been massive qualification inflation in recent years.

Degree grades are meaningless, even within the same subject and the university they are from is more a socio-economic indicator than a measure of the student.

I graduated coming up 10 years ago now and even then if one wanted to get anywhere in the chosen subject you had to do a Masters to be even considered for most jobs. I went into a different field so did not do a Masters but ended up still needing a degree for what was a mostly adminstrative role (some background knowledge to the job was required but it was totally unrelated to my degree).

Amongst my circle of friends from University almost three quarters have either a Masters or Phd, in fact out of the people on my course (probably 120 of us) I would estimate a similar kind of ratio of Masters and Phds. Degrees are increasingly worthless but kids today have limited options as the bar has been raised and so many jobs now 'need degrees' that you dont have alot of choice.