House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DeepLurker

Careful And Wise Use Of Our Taxes

From my local rag: St Albans’ lost railways brought back to life

The £48,700 donation to the Lost Rails project from The Heritage Lottery Fund will enable local people to share memories and learn about the history of branch lines that operated across Herts, including those from Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead, St Albans to Hatfield and Wheathampstead to Welwyn Garden City.

etc...

I am touched that the Lottery Fund (a taxpayer-funded quango) has found such a deserving cause, after all "sharing memories" of old branch lines is a vital task.

Meanwhile, a local nurse for the homeless is being forcibly retired with no replacement in sight. Lack of money is being blamed.

Now I know that the agencies that fund these 2 projects are totally unrelated - but it seemed to me such an excellent example of, erm, poor use of taxpayer money that I could not let it go :(

From my local rag: St Albans lost railways brought back to life

I am touched that the Lottery Fund (a taxpayer-funded quango) has found such a deserving cause, after all "sharing memories" of old branch lines is a vital task.

Meanwhile, a local nurse for the homeless is being forcibly retired with no replacement in sight. Lack of money is being blamed.

Now I know that the agencies that fund these 2 projects are totally unrelated - but it seemed to me such an excellent example of, erm, poor use of taxpayer money that I could not let it go :(

Of course you can find stuff like this but what sort of world do you want? A world where nothing is spent on anything other than what is deemed to be essential spending sounds like a world not worth living in to me. Meanwhile the witchunt goes on and on and on and...........................................

edit:

The national heritage lottery fund is funded through the national lottery to invest in projects that help to preserve the culture and heritage of the country. Maybe if you don't agree how they spend the money raised through the lottery you should campaign for lottery funds to be used for other purposes, or maybe you would prefer direct taxation to fund such projects, or maybe you want to live in a country that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing?

Edited by campervanman