House Price Crash Forum

How An Economy Grows

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Thank you for posting this lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!).

Spending 30mins reading this was very worthwhile, whilst right wing I agree with the points it makes.

I even persuaded my other half to read it - and she also found it engrossing.

Regards

Edited by LumpHammer

HOLA445
Guest Steve Cook

An ecomomy grows because some people lend some interest bearing credit into existence to other people who use it to draw down more resources from the environment.

Onwards an upwards,

Until you run out of resources

At which point it all goes a bit t*ts up

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA446

I was trying to think of a modern day board game to replace Monopoly.

One where the players start out playing selfishly in a mercantilist fashion thinking they are winning but that they eventually realise that they are in effect wiping themselves and their markets out unless they trade in balance with another party.

You could add little things like if certain players decide to pay their people nothing and have no social net such as a health and unemployment service, or decide to pollute their environment or overfish the seas, then it would be in the rules for the other parties to keep them out of their markets.

The winner would be the richest peoples.

It is a difficult sell because there may not be an outright winner as such, all the players if they play well will win and end up looking a little like Denmark.

Probably the most boring game on Earth.

well, actually, monopoly does represent the end of resources. all properties are sold, and players go bankrupt.

leaves one with all the properties, nothing to spend it their money on and no friends.

HOLA447
HOLA448

My monopoly games always end up with beans and shotguns, maybe I am playing it wrong?:huh:

yeah you are. When someone goes bust we all bail them out, and then they pay us a cut of the future rent from all their properties.

or sometimes if we wish to continue playing the non-bust players just have a quick whip-round to recapitalise the losers.

the game can go on forever like that. we don't stop until everyone has got a hotel on every property. then we rank the winner as the first to get a hotel on each and and loser as the last to 'hotel' his last property.

everyone's happy in the end tho.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Funny that, that's what my daughter does as she enjoys winning so much and doesn't want the game to end.

For the rest of us it just prolongs the agony with no hope of redemption.

is this why we let the most competitive players win - because we really can't be bothered with their tantrums?

HOLA4413

well, actually, monopoly does represent the end of resources. all properties are sold, and players go bankrupt.

leaves one with all the properties, nothing to spend it their money on and no friends.

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know, bound to be wrong):

"The history of Monopoly can be traced back to 1903, when a Quaker woman named Elizabeth (Lizzie) J. Magie Phillips created a game through which she hoped to be able to explain the single tax theory of Henry George (it was intended to illustrate the negative aspects of concentrating land in private monopolies)."

A perfect HPC game!

HOLA4414

"The history of Monopoly can be traced back to 1903, when a Quaker woman named Elizabeth (Lizzie) J. Magie Phillips created a game through which she hoped to be able to explain the single tax theory of Henry George (it was intended to illustrate the negative aspects of concentrating land in private monopolies)."

A perfect HPC game!

thank the lord...I though for a moment you were going to prove it was invented by Phil and Krusty...one of whom failed when he sold his last property. Krusty is relegated to staring at the board full of title deeds and cash, but the party has moved to the kitchen.

HOLA4415

thank the lord...I though for a moment you were going to prove it was invented by Phil and Krusty...one of whom failed when he sold his last property. Krusty is relegated to staring at the board full of title deeds and cash, but the party has moved to the kitchen.

Community Chest: "It is your birthday! You have been appointed Property Czar by the Government. Collect £200,000 and a big pension."

Edited by RentingForever

HOLA4416

Kirsty does not have a Community Chest.

It's big, but not that big and is strictly off limits to would be chestpassers.

ADVANCE TO PAYFAIR.

DO NOT PASS HO. DO NOT COLLECT PEERAGE.

HOLA4417

A perfect HPC game!

And the version promoted by the Money Reform Party called 'Credit Monoploy' is intended similarly to illustate the negative aspects of concentrating money issuance in private monopolies:

http://www.moneyreformparty.org.uk/fun/credit_monopoly/index.php

HOLA4418

Very good.

I've got the QE version. All the players are still in the game but they can't see the point in building hotels any more when they can just print.

I've got the hard money version. Only one player has any money and no-one wants to play with him.

Time to put the paper money way and break out the plastic tanks.

51tnMMpDQIL._SS500_.jpg

HOLA4419