House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Queen's Cash Crisis Proves We Are All In It Together...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queens-cash-crisis-proves-we-uareu-all-in-it-together-2026867.html

The Queen has been forced to sell one of her country estates, raising almost £1m in cash and heightening concerns over the scale of the financial crisis sweeping her investments and crumbling palaces.

Hadley Hall, a 16th-century listed farmhouse set in 50 acres of Cheshire countryside, was last night auctioned off by the Duchy of Lancaster; the Queen's national property portfolio which provides the monarch with a private income.

The royal sale comes on the eve of the publication of the Duchy's accounts which next week will reveal the extent of the damage done to her private wealth by combined effects of the recession and the credit crunch.

Separate accounts published by the Palace this month showed how the Queen's reserve of public cash, saved to pay her rising staff bills and fund her role as head of state, had fallen from £35m to £1m in the past 10 years, forcing her to go cap in hand to the Treasury for an increase to the Civil List.

Money raised by the Duchy of Lancaster is mostly used to finance her private affairs and businesses. The Civil List and parliamentary grants pay for her role as head of state.

But critics say it is time the Queen used her vast private wealth to pay off her public debts, including a £40m bill for the maintenance of Buckingham Palace and her other occupied palaces.

Last year the value of the Duchy of Lancaster, comprising 46,000 acres across England and Wales, fell by a fifth, or £75m, to £322m.

Looks like the royal BTL empire is in trouble. Perhaps they need to seize more assets from the people?

This is a national embararssment. Purely from the point of national pride I'd rather this not happen.

Having said that, the very reason for this crisis has its roots in the actions of her royal ancestors who fought to seize conrol of vast tracts of land and deny ordinary people use of it.

Its the denial of that land that has seen property prices inflated as large numbers of people fight for what tiny slithers were available, inducing banks to provide credit to those ill-suited for it, leading to a collapse in the banking system and the near bankrupting of the public finances.

What goes around comes around.

The symbiotic relationship has turned full circle.

Edited by Dave Spart

Guest UK Debt Slave

Smart move by the Queen. She knows a massive property crash is just around the corner so she is selling off property at high prices now and will buy back when prices have hit rock bottom.

Personally, I'd turf them all out of their palaces and force them into council accommodation in Scunthorpe

Edited by UK Debt Slave

<br />This is a national embararssment. Purely from the point of national pride I'd rather this not happen.<br /><br />Having said that, the very reason for this crisis has its roots in the actions of her royal ancestors who fought to seize conrol of vast tracts of land and deny ordinary people use of it.<br /><br />Its the denial of that land that has seen property prices inflated as large numbers of people fight for what tiny slithers were available, inducing banks to provide credit to those ill-suited for it, leading to a collapse in the banking system and the near bankrupting of the public finances.<br /><br />What goes around comes around.<br /><br />The symbiotic relationship has turned full circle.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ask the Royals why they all have off-shore bank accounts and why their companies accounts are similarlarly 'hidden' thru such!

This is a very unfortunate coincidence >>> V.I.P.(ER) - make of it what you will!

"16th-century listed farmhouse set in 50 acres" - did the 50 acres come with it? For a million that's not bad.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16133982.html?premiumA=true

* For Sale by Auction at The Swan Hotel, Tarporley on 14th July 2010

* A Grade II Listed property, a range of traditional brick outbuildings and various lots of farmland

* Farmhouse comprising; Dining Hall, Sitting Room, Store Room, Kitchen, Snug, 4 Beds and Bathroom

* Attractive range of traditional Farm Buildings

* Total Land available - 58.64 acres

Personally, I'd turf them all out of their palaces and force them into council accommodation in Scunthorpe

Nowt wrong with Scunthorpe if you don't mind a dribble of PVC poisoning.

This is a national embararssment. Purely from the point of national pride I'd rather this not happen.

Having said that, the very reason for this crisis has its roots in the actions of her royal ancestors who fought to seize conrol of vast tracts of land and deny ordinary people use of it.

Its the denial of that land that has seen property prices inflated as large numbers of people fight for what tiny slithers were available, inducing banks to provide credit to those ill-suited for it, leading to a collapse in the banking system and the near bankrupting of the public finances.

What goes around comes around.

The symbiotic relationship has turned full circle.

I thought The Crown ultimately owned all land ?

Freeholders are simply stewards ?

So what are we all fretting about anyway ?

:)

Surely the guillotine would be less harsh.

But critics say it is time the Queen used her vast private wealth to pay off her public debts, including a £40m bill for the maintenance of Buckingham Palace and her other occupied palaces.
I'm a republican but I do have to come to the Queen's defence here. She doesn't own Buckingham Palace - it belongs to the Crown, as distinct from being her personal property like Sandringham. If she abdicated she would have no further control over Buck House but she'd still own Sandringham. But if the Crown ultimately owns all land, then Elizabeth Windsor doesn't really own Sandringham any more than the rest of us own our houses. I believe the distinction is that a monarch cannot sell Crown property, only the government can, while a monarch can sell their own personal property. Edited by blankster

I'm a republican but I do have to come to the Queen's defence here. She doesn't own Buckingham Palace - it belongs to the Crown, as distinct from being her personal property like Sandringham. If she abdicated she would have no further control over Buck House but she'd still own Sandringham. But if the Crown ultimately owns all land, then Elizabeth Windsor doesn't really own Sandringham any more than the rest of us own our houses.

Being that the palace is a glorified council house, perhaps she should be made to live somewhere smaller, or move into one of her own homes. I mean, we are all in this together. How much does she get in "housing benefit" per year?

*doffs cap*

dunnit make ya praahd. *hates chavs/unemployed etc*

Ok, that was it.

Being that the palace is a glorified council house, perhaps she should be made to live somewhere smaller, or move into one of her own homes. I mean, we are all in this together. How much does she get in "housing benefit" per year?

*doffs cap*

Ok, that was it.

But Buck House has to be used for something. ...........I know - celebrity weddings! Edited by blankster

To be fair, King George gave the country the crown estate (which the taxpayer makes several hundred million a year from) in return for the civil list which has been significantly eroded over time.

This deal meant we avoided having to go all French revolution on his ass and the Queen is good for tourism.

We should keep the royal family and instead go after the few thousand other families that have been passing the vast majority of land in this country down their family lines for the last thousand years.

<br />To be fair, King George gave the country the crown estate (which the taxpayer makes several hundred million a year from) in return for the civil list which has been significantly eroded over time.<br /><br />This deal meant we avoided having to go all French revolution on his ass and the Queen is good for tourism.<br /><br />We should keep the royal family and instead go after the few thousand other families that have been passing the vast majority of land in this country down their family lines for the last thousand years.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ah yes - the members of Who's Who?

'WW' (crissXcrossed in the middle) was the original sign of the I-talian fascists!

Royalty & Aristocrats - loved their holidays in Amalfi! Town Patron St = Andrew 'X'

BiGGest Beaver in town - bel_voir?

Aren't the coalition Government cracking down on useless types who sponge off hardworking tax-payers going to do something about this ?

No worries, they'll have their benefit cut like the rest of the layabouts.

All this sitting on their arses drinking fine champagne and eating duck's liver will end under this new government. No more plasma TV's and gold-gilded carriages for these wastes of space whilst we all have to pay ever increasing taxes surely ? What's that you say ? They're special ? They work hard ?

Well forgive me whilst I don't laugh. My Granddad worked hard. Never took a penny off the state after 45 years of working. I don't recall too many gilded carriages turning up at his terrace house to transport him to meet some other trumped-up figurehead who also did sod-all. Yet he paid money all his life for these types to get away with it through deference to these roaches. Well no longer. No more of these ultimate benefit-cheats.

We're all in it together remember ?

Did you know that the royal family gave their assets to the country in exchange for the civil list? the Crown Estates pay about 190million to the Uk government and the royal family get less than 50million back.

So the UK makes a profit from them.

Did you know that the royal family gave their assets to the country in exchange for the civil list? the Crown Estates pay about 190million to the Uk government and the royal family get less than 50million back.

So the UK makes a profit from them.

What ????

They 'gave' their assets back ?

And they get 'less than' 50 million back on the basis of 190 million tax ?

This is how profit works is it. If this is the case, then why are our Public Sector workers being slaughtered ? Surely they are actually making a profit for the country as they pay tax ?

They are benefit claimants. As with all benefit claimants their allowance should stop after 6 months unless they take constructive employment, fitted to their skills.

We're all in this together remember ?

*doffs cap*

Ok, that was it.

I think you'll find that some Somalian refugees live in nicer places in Chelsea than poor old Liz. :lol: