House Price Crash Forum

The New Gold Diggers

Guest sillybear2

HOLA441
Guest sillybear2

The new gold diggers

When gold nuggets were found in the foothills of California in 1849, a frenzy of prospecting ensued. Now, thanks to the 'Great Recession', it's happening all over again.

Not too long ago, David Basque was a carpenter living in northern California. In his early twenties, the work came easy and fast, and life was good.

Then came the Great Recession, and unemployment that spiked over 12 per cent in California alone, and 10 per cent across the United States. Construction dried up and even small carpentry jobs went away or paid just half of what they used to. It was, he says, very worrying.

Like so many others, David was sure things would work out. Then his savings dwindled and his optimism soon followed. But, when things looked darkest, he found he had an ace up his sleeve, the same ace thousands of people have been pulling out of their sleeves in the past two years as jobs dried up all over California and something approaching panic seeped through every county of the state. David turned to gold prospecting.

He’d panned over the years as a hobby. But with the downturn came an opportunity he had never anticipated. Just as in the recession of the early Eighties, the inflation crisis of the mid-Seventies and even the Great Depression of the Thirties, David noticed that gold had not only retained its worth – it had actually risen in price.

(more)

HOLA442

I suddenly feel a one-way 'assisted' package for UK chavs to 'start a new life' would be wise & welcome.

Standing room only on an ageing 747. How many could be levered in sans baggage?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest sillybear2

Panning for gold is hard bloody work.

Yes, unless some idiot decides to sell off BoE bullion for a song instead.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA448
HOLA449
<br />I suddenly feel a one-way 'assisted' package for UK chavs to 'start a new life' would be wise & welcome.<br /><br />Standing room only on an ageing 747. How many could be levered in sans baggage?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You have FAR too much 'Inside knowledge' for your OWN good - I happen to know internal designers of the Airbus and Boeing!

Standing room has been worked out on them by the 4th reich fascists - who are you?

HOLA4410
Guest sillybear2

<br /><br /><br />

You have FAR too much 'Inside knowledge' for your OWN good - I happen to know internal designers of the Airbus and Boeing!

Standing room has been worked out on them by the 4th reich fascists - who are you?

Like the evil FEMA trains (car transporters) :lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I suddenly feel a one-way 'assisted' package for UK chavs to 'start a new life' would be wise & welcome.

Standing room only on an ageing 747. How many could be levered in sans baggage?

probably best to take their shoes, watches, gold teeth, specs and hair too. Only need enough fuel to get halfway to NY, and an autopilot.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

probably best to take their shoes, watches, gold teeth, specs and hair too. Only need enough fuel to get halfway to NY, and an autopilot.

Halfway seems a criminal waste of precious fuel if one's intention (not mine) is for the plane never to arrive; & the biggest usage as we all know is getting the thing in the air, so that can be eliminated too.

One of my teacher daughters has just been sworn at again in school, so my anti-chav-o-meter is reading high today.

HOLA4415