House Price Crash Forum

Lost My House Cos Buyer Wasn't Up The Duff

arrgee1991

HOLA441

Mon 7 Jun - Accept offer at asking price from couple (buyer one).

fast forward, but give buyer one weekly updates on progress

Mon 28 Jun pm - View house we like (House Two), make decent offer via email

Tue 29 Jun am - Agent contacts us and asks what we think - ask if they had offer, but they haven't found it. Resend

Tue 29 Jun pm - Told by agent vendor wants another £25K and there is another bidder, tell them they can have it. House goes under offer

Thur 1 Jul am - Agent comes back, saying the bidders can't afford stamp duty, so will we offer with additional £25K or house goes back on market. Offer £5K extra if it doesn't, but vendor turns it down.

Thur 1 Jul pm - I let buyer one know that we have two offers out there. House One with someone who pulled out on eve of exchange but came running back when we made offer, and sale was still ongoing, and House Two where we believed they would come back to us when they didn't get a better offer.

Mon 4 Jul am - Agent comes back and tell me lot of interest at weekend, and would I like to make bigger offer. I tell them I'm not offering any extra, the £5K extra is not there anymore, and they can take or leave original offer. Agent says that won't be accepted.

Mon 4 Jul pm - Agent comes back and suddenly original offer is acceptable. I say I will get back to them after discussing with wife.

Thu 8 jul am - After discussing with wife (over three days, she likes to consider all angles :-) ) , we resubmit original rejected offer and it is accepted. Inform buyer one of the good news.

Thu 8 jul pm - Buyer one tells me that have bad personal news and may not be able to procced (no details). We expect worst.

Fri 9 Jul - Buyer one pulls out

Sat 10 Jul am - Get estate agent to stop marketing our property as we can't hope to sell quickly enough (we have September deadline)

Sat 10 Jul pm - Woman + kid knocks on door, asking if we have sold. Explain whole sorry story. She says she's v interested and is a cash buyer but has to talk to hubby, so looks like we have buyer two!

Sun 11 Jul am - Buyer two (wife & hubby + kid) turn up. We explain our situation, and he offers us £40K less than we were offered before and need to make move. We say we'll think about it to be polite, but frankly no way will we.

Sun 11 Jul pm - Buyer one tells us they have resolved the bad personal news are now 100% commited and can proceed. Am OK with that and let buyer two know his offer isn't enough as we are back with Buyer one

Mon 12 Jul am - Buyer two asks if he makes a substantially better offer would we consider it. Obviously, yes as we can't be sure of buyer one. Suggest I call him later as I have a busy day at work. Get mortgage application completed, inform solicitor and estate agent all is going ahead.

Mon 12 Jul pm - Get home @ 7.50pm - Wife asks me what have I been up to. Puzzled, I ask what has happened. Apparently buyer two has called to say he has spoken with me (he never) and is turning up in 10 mins time! Buyer two turns up (only hubby) with his dad & mum in tow. Dad thinks he is surveyor (needless to say he isn't) and spends next hour examining house. Tells me I haven't got woodworm in loft. Phew! that's a relief! Really annoyed with this clown bringing his dad along and stomping around asking about lead pipes and wanting to lift manhole covers without even asking me.

Tue 13 Jul am - Buyer one withdraws again! Sends email to me, his solicitor, his estate agents for his sale and his mortgage advisor. Doesn't think to use bcc, so now they all have my name and work email. Personal problems back again, but not giving us any details. Contact buyer two to find out what his substantially better offer is.... Ziltch, nada, nothing zero he is still offering the £40K less that I had already rejected! We reckon he just took his dad along to justify the low offer to his wife. He had no intention of making a "substantally better offer" he just wasted my evening. Having worked late and not eaten until they left I couldn't believe they had just wasted my time.

Wed 14 Jul 3pm - Estate Agent and vendor whom I had kept informed of developments tell me they have had another offer on the property. I tell them that I haven't got a buyer and no real prospect of getting one, so I tell them to accept the other offer and I withdraw my offer. Call wife with bad news, but we decide we will book holiday at end of month and book the loft extension that we had planned if we couldn't move.

Wed 14 Jul 9pm - Buyer one informs me wife's pregnant (the bad personal news is they thought she wasn't!) so they want to proceed again.....

Edited by arrgee1991

HOLA442

Mon 7 Jun - Accept offer at asking price from couple (buyer one).

fast forward, but give buyer one weekly updates on progress

Mon 28 Jun pm - View house we like (House Two), make decent offer via email

Tue 29 Jun am - Agent contacts us and asks what we think - ask if they had offer, but they haven't found it. Resend

Tue 29 Jun pm - Told by agent vendor wants another £25K and there is another bidder, tell them they can have it. House goes under offer

Thur 1 Jul am - Agent comes back, saying the bidders can't afford stamp duty, so will we offer with additional £25K or house goes back on market. Offer £5K extra if it doesn't, but vendor turns it down.

Thur 1 Jul pm - I let buyer one know that we have two offers out there. House One with someone who pulled out on eve of exchange but came running back when we made offer, and sale was still ongoing, and House Two where we believed they would come back to us when they didn't get a better offer.

Mon 4 Jul am - Agent comes back and tell me lot of interest at weekend, and would I like to make bigger offer. I tell them I'm not offering any extra, the £5K extra is not there anymore, and they can take or leave original offer. Agent says that won't be accepted.

Mon 4 Jul pm - Agent comes back and suddenly original offer is acceptable. I say I will get back to them after discussing with wife.

Thu 8 jul am - After discussing with wife (over three days, she likes to consider all angles :-) ) , we resubmit original rejected offer and it is accepted. Inform buyer one of the good news.

Thu 8 jul pm - Buyer one tells me that have bad personal news and may not be able to procced (no details). We expect worst.

Fri 9 Jul - Buyer one pulls out

Sat 10 Jul am - Get estate agent to stop marketing our property as we can't hope to sell quickly enough (we have September deadline)

Sat 10 Jul pm - Woman + kid knocks on door, asking if we have sold. Explain whole sorry story. She says she's v interested and is a cash buyer but has to talk to hubby, so looks like we have buyer two!

Sun 11 Jul am - Buyer two (wife & hubby + kid) turn up. We explain our situation, and he offers us £40K less than we were offered before and need to make move. We say we'll think about it to be polite, but frankly no way will we.

Sun 11 Jul pm - Buyer one tells us they have resolved the bad personal news are now 100% commited and can proceed. Am OK with that and let buyer two know his offer isn't enough as we are back with Buyer one

Mon 12 Jul am - Buyer two asks if he makes a substantially better offer would we consider it. Obviously, yes as we can't be sure of buyer one. Suggest I call him later as I have a busy day at work. Get mortgage application completed, inform solicitor and estate agent all is going ahead.

Mon 12 Jul pm - Get home @ 7.50pm - Wife asks me what have I been up to. Puzzled, I ask what has happened. Apparently buyer two has called to say he has spoken with me (he never) and is turning up in 10 mins time! Buyer two turns up (only hubby) with his dad & mum in tow. Dad thinks he is surveyor (needless to say he isn't) and spends next hour examining house. Tells me I haven't got woodworm in loft. Phew! that's a relief! Really annoyed with this clown bringing his dad along and stomping around asking about lead pipes and wanting to lift manhole covers without even asking me.

Tue 13 Jul am - Buyer one withdraws again! Sends email to me, his solicitor, his estate agents for his sale and his mortgage advisor. Doesn't think to use bcc, so now they all have my name and work email. Personal problems back again, but not giving us any details. Contact buyer two to find out what his substantially better offer is.... Ziltch, nada, nothing zero he is still offering the £40K less that I had already rejected! We reckon he just took his dad along to justify the low offer to his wife. He had no intention of making a "substantally better offer" he just wasted my evening. Having worked late and not eaten until they left I couldn't believe they had just wasted my time.

Wed 14 Jul 3pm - Estate Agent and vendor whom I had kept informed of developments tell me they have had another offer on the property. I tell them that I haven't got a buyer and no real prospect of getting one, so I tell them to accept the other offer and I withdraw my offer. Call wife with bad news, but we decide we will book holiday at end of month and book the loft extension that we had planned if we couldn't move.

Wed 14 Jul 9pm - Buyer one informs me wife's pregnant (the bad personal news is they thought she wasn't!) so they want to proceed again.....

Suddenly my life seems dull and simple (in comparison). :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Would be nice if every house sale went smoothly but I think you're best just to anticipate having to give up some time to sell your house. It's all part of doing business even if it's an irritant at the time.

Would have been nice if buyer hadn't been Vicky Pollard "Yeah but no but yeah but no but...",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_Pollard

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

arrgee1991, what a complete ball ache. I know when selling you have to show prospective buyers what they're getting but I'd hate people coming around poking their noses about, turning their noses up at this and that.. particularly unannounced.. which is why I'd always go through an EA and make then earn their wage.

We had one viewing, the agreed to buy, didn't want a survey or a second look, cash-only and wanted to move in sharp. Looking at your story I feel very very lucky.

Edited by exiges

HOLA448

So basically, in typical HPC style you put in a lower offer which was accepted w00t.

Then a "sheeple" gave you a low offer which has offended you and there's no way you'd accept. :blink:

Wasn't offended, just he said he was going to make a "substantially" better offer. I told him I could only move if I got £40K more as I couldn't afford to move otherwise.