House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DrGUID

Unsolicited Credit Card Sent To Me

Hi all,

This might be a bit off topic but I can't find anything else on the web about it.

Last night I found I'd been sent an Amex Gold Card and pin number to my home. I never applied for this! Is it a marketing gimmick or do you think somebody is in the process of stealing my identity?

If it's a marketing gimmick then I will be furious as I live in rented accommodation so it would have been very easy for someone to spend on the card.

If it's identity theft then it's very scary!

Do I need to worry about this, or find something else to worry about?

Err... I don't think it's a marketing gimmick, as it would be one that's strictly not allowed and that I'm certain Amex wouldn't dare to try on!

I'd worry, I'm afraid :(

Edited by mikeymadman

Hi all,

This might be a bit off topic but I can't find anything else on the web about it.

Last night I found I'd been sent an Amex Gold Card and pin number to my home. I never applied for this! Is it a marketing gimmick or do you think somebody is in the process of stealing my identity?

If it's a marketing gimmick then I will be furious as I live in rented accommodation so it would have been very easy for someone to spend on the card.

If it's identity theft then it's very scary!

Do I need to worry about this, or find something else to worry about?

Be afraid....very very afraid...

What, you mean you got an Amex envelope, and didn't bin it unopened? Shame on you!

Do they appear to have correct details for you? If so, who that's untrustworthy did you give them to? Electoral register maybe?

Just a heads up on this.

I cancelled "my" Amex card. The Lloyds one was declined so that's not so bad. Experian have sent me something so I can tell them what happened and repair my credit rating.

The police weren't interested as nobody lost any money. A fair cop I suppose as they're snowed under with more important things, although this is obviously a money by deception crime. Amex never phoned me back.

I suspect I have uncovered CPA fraud. What I think happens is this:

Person steals personal details from electoral roll or companies house list of company directors (good source of wealthier than average victims).

Person signs up to credit cards at a cashback or CPA marketing site.

Person gets £25 or so from every successful (or maybe even unsuccessful) application.

Person makes £5000 a week from filling out a few forms (or outsources it to India or China).

One other possibility is that someone is playing a joke on me, although I don't suspect this is the case.

I guess the banks are too stupid to figure this one out, so I've done it for them.

Anyway, if anyone else sees something similar then let us know! It's a nuisance as it's taken time to sort out and this is not the kind of economic environment in which you want a damaged credit rating.