House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brave New World

Aerial Advice!

Our aerial is poor and will not get freeview and we get mocked by friends for the general picure quality :unsure: , a situation that we have lived with for a couple of years - we are techno phobes!

We have just purchsed a new tv (flatscreen, how MEW!) and we now want to sort the aerial. Landlady (typical landlord by circumstance) and she is quibbling over it sso i just wanted to see if there were anny learn'ed HPC'ers who would know if it should be her expense or ours?

Any advice would be great.

Our aerial is poor and will not get freeview and we get mocked by friends for the general picure quality :unsure: , a situation that we have lived with for a couple of years - we are techno phobes!

We have just purchsed a new tv (flatscreen, how MEW!) and we now want to sort the aerial. Landlady (typical landlord by circumstance) and she is quibbling over it sso i just wanted to see if there were anny learn'ed HPC'ers who would know if it should be her expense or ours?

Any advice would be great.

I don't suppose the AST agreement refers to providingan aerial (which works saisfactorily). If not, then it is up to you. The fact that one ios there which is no good is not the LL's problem.

Freeview works very well with a dish ( like a sky one - but need not be from them). Suggest you find a good TV aerial man to fix either working aerial, or if no good because of terain/signal, then you will need a dish. I have got one and it works perfectly where no aerial does.

I don't suppose the AST agreement refers to providingan aerial (which works saisfactorily). If not, then it is up to you. The fact that one ios there which is no good is not the LL's problem.

Freeview works very well with a dish ( like a sky one - but need not be from them). Suggest you find a good TV aerial man to fix either working aerial, or if no good because of terain/signal, then you will need a dish. I have got one and it works perfectly where no aerial does.

I am sure there was a thread on this recently where it was decided it was the LL's responsibility. I guess it depends on the LL as to whether or not to do anything or not.

My suggestion at the time was to get a indoor aerial with a booster. That is what I use and to be honest it is pretty good and for minimal cost £25 from Argos.

I would have thunk that the LL should make provision for decent TV viewing, be it by an aerial, or a Freesat dish.

Legally, it might be the tenant`s resposibility, but if I were a landlord, I`d want to employ my own aerial installer to carry out the work. If a tenant pays to have an aerial installed, then he/she would be well within their rights to take it with them if they move out. In my mind, an aerial is "part of the property", just like the central heating boiler or the mains sockets. It might also put off a prospective tenant if they know they can`t watch telly without shelling out for an aerial.

BTW. Indoor aerials are often not suitable for reliable Freeview reception, boosted or not. They can work, but ultimately an outside aerial is the safest bet.