House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blankster

Should Britain Leave The Uk?

After all, Russia left the Soviet Union. Perhaps Great Britain (i.e. the island comprising England, Scotland and Wales) should leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We could become a republic and Northern Ireland could have the monarchy. :D

SOLVED! Next problem, please.

Guest Skinty

After all, Russia left the Soviet Union. Perhaps Great Britain (i.e. the island comprising England, Scotland and Wales) should leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We could become a republic and Northern Ireland could have the monarchy. :D

SOLVED! Next problem, please.

Great thing about it is that it sets a precedence and hastens Scottish independence.

A great chance to be pedantic here. :)

Do you mean Britain, that is England and Wales; or do you mean England. If England ceded from the United Kingdom would we want to be paired with Wales? I mean its the country where they let you in for free but charge you to get out. (Certainly as far as the Severn Bridge is concerned the last time I went.)

this primary school site explains

Is Great Britain the same as Britain?

Sometimes people use the shorten name Britain instead of Great Britain, to mean the same thing, but really Britain only refers to England and Wales.

The name Britain goes back to Roman times when they called England and Wales "Britannia" (or "Britannia Major", to distinguished from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany in France). The Roman province of Britannia only covered the areas of modern England and Wales. The area of modern Scotland was never finally conquered.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Great thing about it is that it sets a precedence and hastens Scottish independence.

I am all for English independence. Not quite sure how Britain can leave the UK. They are the same, aren't they?blink.gif

PS the Irish have always been independent. It is part of their charm.wink.gif

Guest Skinty

I am all for English independence. Not quite sure how Britain can leave the UK. They are the same, aren't they?blink.gif

Dunno, but whenever the topic of Scottish independence comes up Blankster always goes on about how the United Kingdom shouldn't be broken up.

As the OP pointed out, 'UK' is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland. In which case, 'the UK' would then be... Northern Ireland I suppose.

I wonder if, say, the Falklands 'belongs' (leaving Argentina's claim aside) to GB or UK?

Dunno, but whenever the topic of Scottish independence comes up Blankster always goes on about how the United Kingdom shouldn't be broken up.

Maybe he likes the Scots but he doesn't like the Irish?

As the formal successor state, they ought to get the debt, too :)

But also the assets (incl military assets - nuclear-armed Northern Ireland? :blink::ph34r:) the permanent UN seat, EU membership and voting rights...

In the meantime, the fledgeling state of Britain would emerge, free of such assets/burdens ... It would be quite amusing to see how things would unfold.

Is Great Britain the same as Britain?

Great Britain is the name of the island (i.e. the largest one in that group just off the coast of Europe). It's a geographical, not a political, name, and therefore doesn't include some places that are even unambigously part of England, such as the Isle of Wight.

Great Britain is the name of the island (i.e. the largest one in that group just off the coast of Europe). It's a geographical, not a political, name, and therefore doesn't include some places that are even unambigously part of England, such as the Isle of Wight.

Well done, you followed the link and all became clear.