House Price Crash Forum

Gazza Brings Moat Chicken

HOLA441

Genius

THE swoop on Raoul Moat followed a crazy Friday in the usually quiet village of Rothbury - with even GAZZA getting involved.

The former England football hero turned up at the police cordon claiming to be a pal of fugitive "Moaty" and bringing him lager and chicken.

Earlier there had been a bizarre mood as news spread that cops had the killer cornered near the tennis courts - with locals thronging the streets to see what was going on.

Some were even getting set to "celebrate" the end of the manhunt and the tense stand-off with armed cops.

The air of unreality was capped when Paul Gascoigne suddenly turned up claiming to be "good friends" with the gunman.

Ex-Newcastle United hero Gazza, 43, arrived at the police cordon asking to be let through to speak to "Moaty" and clutching a dressing gown and a fishing rod.

Gascoigne - who had apparently come by taxi from Newcastle - said he had brought the wanted man a "can of lager, some chicken, a mobile phone and something to keep warm".

He told Tyneside's Metro Radio: "He is willing to give in now. I just want to give him some therapy and say. 'Come on Moaty, it's Gazza'."

Gascoigne, who appeared to be drunk, claimed to know Moat from his days as a nightclub bouncer.

He added: "He is all right - simple as that and I am willing to help him. I have come all the way from Newcastle to Rothbury to find him.

"I'm risking my own life to make sure he is all right."

But Gazza's agent Kenny Shepherd reacted with disbelief on being told the troubled star had turned up in Rothbury, saying: "He's doing what? I am sitting having an evening meal in Majorca. I'm speechless."

Gascoigne also told Real Radio North East: "I heard he was by the river, and I brought my fishing rod too so we can fish together and have a chat. I want to talk to him because I think I'm the only man to help him.

"All he wants to do is surrender. I knew he's a good lad.

"The police wouldn't let me through because they were frightened he might shoot me, but I know he won't.

"I have just been in a car crash, hit a wall at 90mph. I survived that, so I can survive a bullet - knowing my luck he will probably miss.

"All I want to shout is 'Moaty, it's Gazza' and I guarantee me and him could sit and chat. I would say, 'Why don't you just put the gun away, throw it in the river? The police are not going to kill you'."

He added: "He was like a gentleman - someone must have wound him up. Obviously he's killed someone and shot two, which is not nice really.

"He's a lovely bloke, I think he is frightened. All he wants to do is surrender. I know he's a good lad."

Radio reporter Katie Halliwell said: "Gazza said he desperately wanted to help his friend out. He said when he heard what was going on he jumped straight in a taxi to help."

Gascoigne, who has had well documented battles with drink for years, is also a keen angler and a frequent visitor to Rothbury where the fishing is good locally.

He famously fell off the wagon in the village in 1999, when locals reported seeing him drunk in a pub.

As darkness fell last night Rothbury breathed a huge sigh of relief as the six-hour siege finally ended.

Earlier, hundreds of locals mingled in the street, many clutching drinks in their hands, as they waited for the outcome of the riverside stand-off.

Friday night in Rothbury - which was established more than 800 years ago - normally sees just a handful of locals in each of the five pubs.

But the community had been gripped by fear for the past four days since a black Lexus used by Moat was found there.

The 1,470 residents had been warned at times to "stay off the streets" as it was locked down. Schools even had armed police placed on guard duty outside.

Last night, while some locals "celebrated" others were tearful with fear and anxiety. Many had been desperate to check on family who were caught behind a police ring of steel placed at one end of the village.

The stand-off started around 7pm when Moat was seen near allotments a few hundred yards from the centre.

Two cop cars even smashed into each other as they raced to the scene. And as the high street was shut down armed officers told villagers to "get inside and stay inside". Northumbria police put out an emergency bulletin to warn of a "confrontational situation".

One senior police officer who dashed to a road junction to seal it off shouted to villagers: "Stay where you are. If you go down there your life is at risk. You could end up dead."

The picturesque village's most famous resident was actor Robson Green. Gazza is said to make six trips a year to go fishing.

As darkness fell on the Northumbrian sandstone houses many residents were still waiting at the police cordon. Others were gathered in the nearby Queen's Head because they couldn't reach home. Local Sam Daly, 27, a trainee accountant, was standing outside the pub with pals with a drink in his hand waiting for news.

He said: "On a Friday night there are about ten people in every pub. At closing time they just toddle off home.

"Everyone lives in walking distance. The situation has been unbelievable this week. There have been armed police all over the place and police cars hurtling around."

Musician Adam Bell, 26, said: "You can't imagine a killer being hunted by police could end up in a place like this." Builder Philip Storey, 22, added: "We just want it all to end and to get back to our lives. Rothbury has a number of shops, a library, three churches and a school.

Last night the main street was packed with cars from waiting journalists and from people trapped by the police cordon.

At one stage a group of ten officers were strung across the road walking forward and telling people: "You've got to move back for your own safety."

In a chilling forecast, one villager added: "There's a strange atmosphere. People are just waiting to hear a single shot - and that will be the end of it."

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think the whole situation is tragic and I hope the investigation sheds some light on exactly what went wrong in this case. They should start with asking why Moat was released early from prison when the authorities knew he'd made threats against his ex-girlfriend.

My personal impression from the coverage is that if policemen want to go running around with machine guns and sniper rifles dressed up like the media image of the SAS they should grow some real balls and join the military.

HOLA444

They should start with asking why Moat was released early from prison when the authorities knew he'd made threats against his ex-girlfriend.

I think I can clear this up for you.

When a violent criminal makes threats against a member of the public, the police view it as relatively unimportant. However, if Moat had made threats against the police, he would still be languishing in Durham prison...

HOLA445
Guest theboltonfury

Best thread ever. I still am not sure if the Gazza thing is a wind up or not. It's beyond sitcom.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Best thread ever. I still am not sure if the Gazza thing is a wind up or not. It's beyond sitcom.

:lol: Definitely no wind up. I was watching the news when he turned up and the presenter said Paul Gacoigne has arrived and is demanding to be let through to meet his old firend who he refered to as Moaty.. At that point the wife got up and said "That`s it I am off to bed" "This has now gone beyond madness"

Sad really !!! and now I want to eat KFC chicken.

HOLA448

The radio interview

Host: Hello Paul!

Paul Gascoigne: Hello!

Host: Good evening you are live on Real Radio. I just wonder… Tell us about Raoul Moat. The Raoul Moat that you know.

PG: Raoul Moat, er Raoul, I knew him years ago. He used to be a bouncer in Newcastle. I knew him a lot of years since I was a young kid, when I played for Newcastle [united]. He was like a gentleman someone must have wound him up or done summat, right. And all of a sudden I just listened to the radio right, I mean on TV news. Obviously hes killed someone and hes shot two. Right?

Host: Well…

PG: …Doesnt matter. Hes killed someone. Which is not nice, really. Obviously he must have been on drugs, um, and hes shot two people, right. Now Ive heard on the news that obviously the drugs must have worn off. Now hes willing to give in. Right?

Host: I think we have to point out that…

PG: …No, please, get a hold of me, no, hear me out… Hes a lovely bloke I know that so at the end of the day I think hes frightened in case, um, hes put his gun down, I know for a fact he will… He put his gun down but I think hes scared in case the police shoot him and kill him. The drugs have worn off. All he wants to do is surrender. And at the end of the day when you shoot someone, I think, and er, shoot, kill someone and shoot two others… You may get, what? Twelve days, twelve years, twelve…

Host: Paul, Paul, Paul… Well we dont know about that exactly. But just tell us, what would you say…

PG: Twelve years, could be about six years and hes out. Hes a good lad.

Host: If he could hear a message from you, Gazza, what would you say to him tonight?

PG: Well I think the police get hold… Listen, I drove from Newcastle in a taxi to Rothbury. Cost a lot of money. I brought a dressing gown for him, um, a big jacket, I brought some chicken, some bread… I know youre going to love this one: I brought him a can of lager, I brought him a fishing rod cause I heard hes by the river. And I brought a fishing rod too well fish together, Ill have a chat with him, just talk and… cause I think Im the only man… I think I can help him through this cause Ive…

Host: So Gazza, are you going to go to the police and say, please, let me, let me, let me help you here? I know Raoul Moat. I can help you negotiate. I can help you sort the situation out.

PG: Ive just spoke to the police.

Host 2: What did they say Gazza?

PG: That he, well er, er, well… Terry was next to us taking photos and the copper went, police, and I said Listen, I know the guy, hes a nice guy, I said er… I want to go through, where you have everything all cordoned off, I want to get through there, but the police wouldnt let us so that was a waste of time saying, Oh, I knew him because they were being frightened he might shoot me, you know? But I told them, He will not shoot me.

Host: Well, its a dangerous situation though, Gazza, isnt it?

PG: Hey Im not scared Ive just been in a car crash, Ive just hit the wall at 90 miles per hour. I survived that, Im sure I can survive a bullet. Knowing my luck hed probably miss.

Host: So what youre saying is that you want to go in there, you want to help negotiate?

PG: … The police know I want to go in there. Ive got a jacket, Ive got a dressing gown, Ive got some chicken, Ive got some bread, Ive got a can of lager, Ive got a fishing rod, um, Ive got my fishing rod, Im willing to sit down, to shout, Moaty, its Gazza! All I want to shout is Moaty, its Gazza, where are you? and I guarantee he will shout his name out, Im here! and me and him could sit and chat, have a little bit of fishing and all Ill tell him, Moaty, listen…

Host: And you think you could sort it out?

Host 2: So if you like a man-to-man chat, with him, two pals on a riverbank?

PG: Yeah, yeah, two friends on a riverbank from Newcastle and all those years well say is Why dont you just, you know, put the gun away, throw it in the river and say Look Moaty, the worst is… the worst you might get a 12-year stretch, the police are not going to kill you, because I know hes willing to give in now. Whatever he was on has worn off. I mean the police are not going to kill you, he might do a 12-year stretch, obviously for killing someone, which is not very nice, obviously. He did it cause he was high on drugs, probably, right?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest theboltonfury

The radio interview

Host: “Hello Paul!”

Paul Gascoigne: “Hello!”

Host: “Good evening – you are live on Real Radio. I just wonder… Tell us about Raoul Moat. The Raoul Moat that you know.”

PG: “Raoul Moat, er Raoul, I knew him years ago. He used to be a bouncer in Newcastle. I knew him a lot of years since I was a young kid, when I played for Newcastle [united]. He was like a gentleman – someone must have wound him up or done summat, right. And all of a sudden I just listened to the radio right, I mean on TV news. Obviously he’s killed someone and he’s shot two. Right?”

Host: “Well…”

PG: “…Doesn’t matter. He’s killed someone. Which is not nice, really. Obviously he must have been on drugs, um, and he’s shot two people, right. Now I’ve heard on the news that obviously the drugs must have worn off. Now he’s willing to give in. Right?”

Host: “I think we have to point out that…”

PG: “…No, please, get a hold of me, no, hear me out… He’s a lovely bloke – I know that – so at the end of the day I think he’s frightened in case, um, he’s put his gun down, I know for a fact he will… He put his gun down but I think he’s scared in case the police shoot him and kill him. The drugs have worn off. All he wants to do is surrender. And at the end of the day when you shoot someone, I think, and er, shoot, kill someone and shoot two others… You may get, what? Twelve days, twelve years, twelve…”

Host: “Paul, Paul, Paul… Well we don’t know about that exactly. But just tell us, what would you say…”

PG: “Twelve years, could be about six years and he’s out. He’s a good lad.”

Host: “If he could hear a message from you, Gazza, what would you say to him tonight?”

PG: “Well I think the police get hold… Listen, I drove from Newcastle in a taxi to Rothbury. Cost a lot of money. I brought a dressing gown for him, um, a big jacket, I brought some chicken, some bread… I know you’re going to love this one: I brought him a can of lager, I brought him a fishing rod cause I heard he’s by the river. And I brought a fishing rod too – we’ll fish together, I’ll have a chat with him, just talk and… ’cause I think I’m the only man… I think I can help him through this cause I’ve…”

Host: “So Gazza, are you going to go to the police and say, please, let me, let me, let me help you here? I know Raoul Moat. I can help you negotiate. I can help you sort the situation out.

PG: “I’ve just spoke to the police.”

Host 2: “What did they say Gazza?”

PG: “That he, well er, er, well… Terry was next to us taking photos and the copper went, police, and I said ‘Listen, I know the guy, he’s a nice guy,’ I said er… ‘I want to go through, where you have everything all cordoned off, I want to get through there,’ but the police wouldn’t let us so that was a waste of time saying, ‘Oh, I knew him’ because they were being frightened he might shoot me, you know? But I told them, ‘He will not shoot me.’”

Host: “Well, it’s a dangerous situation though, Gazza, isn’t it?”

PG: “Hey I’m not scared – I’ve just been in a car crash, I’ve just hit the wall at 90 miles per hour. I survived that, I’m sure I can survive a bullet. Knowing my luck he’d probably miss.”

Host: “So what you’re saying is that you want to go in there, you want to help negotiate?”

PG: “… The police know I want to go in there. I’ve got a jacket, I’ve got a dressing gown, I’ve got some chicken, I’ve got some bread, I’ve got a can of lager, I’ve got a fishing rod, um, I’ve got my fishing rod, I’m willing to sit down, to shout, ‘Moaty, it’s Gazza!’ All I want to shout is ‘Moaty, it’s Gazza, where are you?’ and I guarantee he will shout his name out, ‘I’m here!’ and me and him could sit and chat, have a little bit of fishing and all I’ll tell him, ‘Moaty, listen…’”

Host: “And you think you could sort it out?”

Host 2: “So if you like a man-to-man chat, with him, two pals on a riverbank?”

PG: “Yeah, yeah, two friends on a riverbank from Newcastle and all those years we’ll say is ‘Why don’t you just, you know, put the gun away, throw it in the river’ and say ‘Look Moaty, the worst is… the worst you might get a 12-year stretch, the police are not going to kill you,’ because I know he’s willing to give in now. Whatever he was on has worn off. I mean the police are not going to kill you, he might do a 12-year stretch, obviously for killing someone, which is not very nice, obviously. He did it cause he was high on drugs, probably, right?”

To be fair, Gazza is more coherent than some of those on here.

He had chicken and bread. Just 2 mates having a little fish with a can of lager. Thinking back, that was the right answer. Why didn't the police see it?!!

Archived