House Price Crash Forum
Mega

Front Page Of The Indy (Real Level Of Uk Debt!)

We've only been banging on about PFI, pensions & demographics, personal debt and of course government debt, since, well, about 2005. I can see why there's a big surprise. :angry:

We've only been banging on about PFI, pensions & demographics, personal debt and of course government debt, since, well, about 2005. I can see why there's a big surprise. :angry:

It is totally un******ingbuggeringlyspected!

Tit.

p-o-p

Jeeeezusssssssss H Chriiiiiiiist............. :angry:

When I think of Gordon and Tony, I imagine the scene at the beginning of "Pirates of the Caribbean" where Jack steps off the sinking ship and onto the pontoon just as the mast disappears from view.

Their timing couldn't have been better.

Edited by libspero

it is handlable on 2 lines:

(1) cuts, now, aggressive, supported by this very document

(2) future financial growth will reduce the debt burden as a proportion

I still want to see no more lucky boomers swanning around happily oblivious to the harm caused

And to think that all I read on the local rag's comment section is idiots banging on about how unfair it was to stop BSF. After I pointed the negatives of BSF and PFI all of the goons commenting were like "well PFI is the only game in town" and then I follow with "how and who pays for these new buildings" and to my amusement I'm told that "it was all signed off by the Treasury, the money is there".

Most of the general public seem oblivious to how this was all unsustainable! I'm glad the Indy came out with articel as the nulabourites will find it hard to dismiss such an article from a non tory paper!

I wont say I told you so.

OK yes I will.

I told you so.

I've been telling you all this for 3+ years, and you've all been telling me I'm nuts.

I should add now that they haven't including liabilities for the pensions protection fund which "the government" (A) will end up underwriting. They'll have no choice as the boomers will blame "the government" (B ) for not regulating pensions properly and force "the government" ( C) to compensate all the old people for thier losses as "it's the governments fault" (D).

Of course, we all know "the governemnt " is actually "the taxpayer", though as per the letters above, governments B and D (those at fault) were the boomers and A and C are their children.

It'll probably require another £4trn.

Edited by TaxAbuserOfTheWeek

I wont say I told you so.

OK yes I will.

I told you so.

I've been telling you all this for 3+ years, and you've all been telling me I'm nuts....

Uuummmmm, TaxAbuser I think you will find that most on here were fully in agreement with you over the last few years, and I doubt very much that very many people if any were calling you nuts. Are you trying to impress upon everyone else how especially clever and prophetic you are on this subject, a voice in the wilderness? Can I remind you which website you are posting on?

Tit.

In defence of RichM I'm sure his comment was made with a sense of irony.

BTW: What's a thousand trillions? Is that a marillion?

The UK is bankrupt.

There isn't much interest here in the Spending Challenge website. I am actually a bit surprised by that.

The lack of honesty in government accounts and unfunded pensions has been something that has bothered me for a long time.

For what it's worth, here are two ideas that I have put up on the site :

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/government-financial-reporting-act

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/a-proposal-to-restructure-unfunded-public-pensions

The realist in me understands that the whole process is likely to be more about PR than listening to voters but I feel better having put in my tuppence worth.

In the public accounts proposal, I have included the idea of SOX like legislation for the PM & the Chancellor to hold them personally liable for any material misrepresentations.

There isn't much interest here in the Spending Challenge website. I am actually a bit surprised by that.

The lack of honesty in government accounts and unfunded pensions has been something that has bothered me for a long time.

For what it's worth, here are two ideas that I have put up on the site :

http://spendingchall...l-reporting-act

http://spendingchall...public-pensions

The realist in me understands that the whole process is likely to be more about PR than listening to voters but I feel better having put in my tuppence worth.

In the public accounts proposal, I have included the idea of SOX like legislation for the PM & the Chancellor to hold them personally liable for any material misrepresentations.

There is no interest in the 'Spending Challenge' website as the people have realised that the government ultimately does what it wants at the end of the day. It will not listen to the people as it has its own agenda and the 'Spending Challenge' site is just a way of giving the illusion of choice to the people.

There is no interest in the 'Spending Challenge' website as the people have realised that the government ultimately does what it wants at the end of the day. It will not listen to the people as it has its own agenda and the 'Spending Challenge' site is just a way of giving the illusion of choice to the people.

I am naive and idealistic. Perhaps 1 in 100 surprises are actually nice ones.

Lets not forget where we came from - back in 2007, a million was a big number.

Then came along Northern Rock, with its £20 billion bailout

Then the QE came to around £200 billion.

Then the public found out that the public debt was 800 billion

Today, that number is £4 trillion.

Can anybody dare mention deflation????

edited for numbers!

Edited by Lepista

It is totally un******ingbuggeringlyspected!

Tit.

p-o-p

You calling RichM a tit? Seems a bit harsh. I like RichM.

Anyways, I'm sure someone in the fast receding history of 2005 or thereabouts compared UK plc to Enron. The off-balance sheet liabilities are the room in which the elephant resides.

Guest Steve Cook

I still want to see no more lucky boomers swanning around happily oblivious to the harm caused

There wont be any future growth. That's the problem. All of the monetary and debt measures taken by our governments have been based on an expectation of growth that is not going to happen.

Insanity.

Edited by Steve Cook

The two statements are not neccessarily compatable.

You should be ok there. Most boomers swanning around with their consumer cr@p are the ones who bought into the Thatcher 'you can have it all' mentality.. In other words stupid and proud of it. Those of us who knew that what started in the UK 30 years ago was doomed to end as it has have long since taken the profit from an environment we despised and put it to work in an environment we don't.

There wont be any future growth. That's the problem. All of the monetary and debt measures taken by our governments have been based on an expectation of growth that is not going to happen.

Insanity.

Sure we can get growth in the future. We just have to shrink a bit first.

Sure we can get growth in the future. We just have to shrink a bit first.

Just think of the UK as one of those lizards who when one of it's legs are removed it just grows a new one.

Insanity.

Isn't it wonderful.

If only there was some short term politically expedient thing we could do to temporarily reduce the onerous burden.

For me the article was worth it becuase it says:

[

The baby boomers and their parents have also benefited from phenomena that are unlikely to be enjoyed by future generations, including: free university education, including maintenance grants; mortgage interest relief at the highest marginal rate of income tax; property booms

For me the article was worth it becuase it says:

[

Baby boomers AND their parents. Wot you mean it's not only us lot who spent our lives plotting against generation lemming, our parents were doing it too. Evil bstrds.