House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

piece of paper

Bbc On The Button Again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10611398.stm

Hijab: Don't blame me if you're short of a few Mars bars at your next stocktake Mr Patel.

Niqab: Dress like a pillar box - I expect the letter to be delivered

Burka: Special delivery and no pissing about - I paid extra for this

Al-Amira: I've lost interest in the scarf - Those eyes tell me all I need to know about the risk of you being a suicide bomber - BYE!!

Shayla: Yes it was me! It tasted nice but I know that Vindaloo and me are a bad mix. You really are a weirdo, drawing attention like that

Khimar: AZ will be around soon. Quite surprised by the liberalism.

Chador: Yes. Of course it's cold - It's bloody England!!

p-o-p

EDIT: Missing D to avoid profanity filter

It's one of the things that makes me so proud to be British is that we've never passed a law restricting what people can wear.

If we ever did, it was during Cromwell's Commonwealth, when they also banned Christmas Carols.

Thank God we're not French, and we can all be grown up about these things.

It's one of the things that makes me so proud to be British is that we've never passed a law restricting what people can wear.

If we ever did, it was during Cromwell's Commonwealth, when they also banned Christmas Carols.

Don't want to be picky and it's not my long suite but I think there was something about Oswald's lot quite recently.

p-o-p

Try walking into a bank with your crash helmet on and see how far that gets you ;)

I'd do number 1 and number 5. Number 3 is obviously a paper bag job.

Be fair. Pre-packed. We all do it. Do you always pick the loose veggies in Somerfields? I don't. I usually grab the packed ones and work on the basis that the others will be needed before they go off. I think that you youngsters call this sloppy seconds.

p-o-p

Try walking into a bank with your crash helmet on and see how far that gets you ;)

Seems to work for "Group 4" and similar! ;)

Yeah, we're such a tolerant nation. We can pride ourselves on how we allow the men in one of our minority groups to force their women to cover themselves from head to foot. :ph34r:

Why can't we ban specific items because they are seen as a uniform of dissent?

Among these I would include the burkha and islamic veil, except for women visiting a mosque.

Also I'd ban wearing T-shirts with obscene slogans or images in public.

I would also abolish judges wearing those ridiculous wigs.

They did ban skinheads from wearing industrial hobnail boots with steel toecaps way back, which is when they switched to Doc Martens instead. So there is a precedent. I can wear steel toecapped boots, but if I shaved my head and put on jeans that are too short, held up by braces, then I'd probably get stopped from wearing them. And some shopping centres have banned hoodies.

Of course this question does raise issues. What about in winter when non-muslims are likely to be out and about on a cold, foggy morning, with a scarf over the lower half of their face?

Seems to work for "Group 4" and similar! ;)

I think you miss the point.

As much as there is nothing wrong with people wearing what they like in their own homes, there are times in everyday life when it is inappropriate to completely cover your face.

Such as the example I gave, or when working in a customer facing role, or driving a car. In these instances a head scarf should be fine. If a ban is too unpopular then the law should provide more protection to employers or service providers who refuse to allow full face covering on their premises.

Or filling up at a Sainsbury's petrol station. B1tch wouldn't turn on the pump until I'd removed the Shoei "for security reasons". I wonder how she'd get on with the local Imam's wife if she tried this?

(1) An ex British Royal Marine who wants to walk around his own country in the manner nature intended ? Continually arrested

(2) An immigrant who wants to walk around this country in a manner a never proven God told them to do from a 'heaven' based only on faith ? No problem. Freedom to do what you believe in granted. We wouldn't want to restrict your human rights.

Where are the blokes rights to walk around naked ? Because let us be honest, there is a lot more 'proof' that we are supposed to be naked, than any sort of God exists.

* Yes I am using immigrant for effect but it makes the point all the more pertinent.

I can wear steel toecapped boots, but if I shaved my head and put on jeans that are too short, held up by braces, then I'd probably get stopped from wearing them.

No you wouldn't. We'd just think you were gay! :lol:

Indeed.

I do wish we could also reinforce the distinction between religious practice and social custom - wearing veils is a social custom, not religious even though it is touted as a religious matter by some. There are plenty of Muslim clerics who deny veiling women is supportable by their religious doctrine. Rather, this is an archaic form of oppression of women and should not be condoned in any progressive society.

Quite apart from the security implications, there are other significant effects too on openness and relationships. For example, when children are learning speech, vocabulary, reading and social relationships, this is hugely hindered by being unable to see the facial expression or even, for pronunciation, the shape of the mouth of the person speaking with them.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Indeed.

I do wish we could also reinforce the distinction between religious practice and social custom - wearing veils is a social custom, not religious even though it is touted as a religious matter by some. There are plenty of Muslim clerics who deny veiling women is supportable by their religious doctrine. Rather, this is an archaic form of oppression of women and should not be condoned in any progressive society.

Quite apart from the security implications, there are other significant effects too on openness and relationships. For example, when children are learning speech, vocabulary, reading and social relationships, this is hugely hindered by being unable to see the facial expression or even, for pronunciation, the shape of the mouth of the person speaking with them.

What she ^ said ^.smile.gif