House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Folding Bikes

To digress from the usual London bashing thread - don't like it personally but do have to spend a lot of time there.

Thinking of getting a folding bike for short distances in London. To keep in boot of car take on bus, tube etc. sometimes.

Don't want anything heavy, bulky or complicated to fold.

The lightest one seems to be this from the father of practicality and persistent purveyor, to the purely early adopter demographic, Clive 'C5' Sinclair.

http://www.abikecentral.com/

Any thoughts/experience/will I look like a t1t trapped in my own personal cartoon world on it and be instantly crushed by an HGV?

Bromptons apparently hold their value well in the second hand market. Isnt boris practically giving them away on some scheme? - cheap rental for a few years or something?

I've always fancied one of them electric skateboard mysef (obviously having basic skateboard skills is an advantage)

Edit: ohmygod - just looked at your link.. FFS NO NO NO NO NO NO

2 words

First word... Pothole

Second word... Tit

Edit:edit: obiously the same 2 words would apply to my electric skateboard - but I would still feel less of a tit than riding that other thing!

To digress from the usual London bashing thread - don't like it personally but do have to spend a lot of time there.

Thinking of getting a folding bike for short distances in London. To keep in boot of car take on bus, tube etc. sometimes.

The lightest one seems to be this from the father of practicality and persistent purveyor, to purely the early adopter demographic, Clive 'C5' Sinclair.

Any thoughts/experience/will I look like a t1t trapped in my own personal cartoon world on it and be instantly crushed by an HGV?

DON'T DO IT!! With wheels that small, you'll soon be lying in the road, with a bus running over your head, having been ditched by the bike at the first pothole.:huh:

Bromptons apparently hold their value well in the second hand market. Isnt boris practically giving them away on some scheme? - cheap rental for a few years or something?

I've always fancied one of them electric skateboard mysef (obviously having basic skateboard skills is an advantage)

2 words

First word... Pothole

Second word... Tit

Great minds think alike.....

Would not be happy on a bike with wheels that small. The busier the place you the more you have to keep your eyes off the road and on other roadusers / people and the more likely you are to find a pot hole / recessed drain.

Don't remember many bad comments about the brompton, lots of chinese copies, not sure how good those are though.

2 words

First word... Pothole

Second word... Tit

I fear credibility issues rocking up to meetings with solicitors etc. by skateboard - not that the Sinclair offering doesn't tend that way.

Have looked at Bromptons thought they were OK for say station to the office in the morning and back again at night. I'm thinking more sporadic use throughout the day between appts.

Segways aren't legal but consider those to the pinnacle of looking a t1t.

The lightest one seems to be this from the father of practicality and persistent purveyor, to purely the early adopter demographic, Clive 'C5' Sinclair.

Gentlemen ride Bickertons.

p-o-p

Have looked at Bromptons thought they were OK for say station to the office in the morning and back again at night. I'm thinking more sporadic use throughout the day between appts.

Lost me there, if you are going to ride a bike at all why would you compromise and aim not to ride on probably the best size/weight/convenience format out there? There's a reason why that bike (and all the copies) are as popular as they are. Would a decent bag to carry it in make the difference?

The electric skateboard appeals to me because......

All TPTB hate anything motorised, but with one of these, you could just manually push it along like an ordinary sketboard for a couple of strokes and I bet you average copper would be none the wiser - the throttle is radio controlled so you could operate that in your pocket - just beware when skating past a phone mast!!

Obviously your journey dictates the most suitable method... for me it is all flat and wide open spaces with not too may pedestrians - an electric board would be useless on the road or more crowded areas

I use a folding mountain bike. I could have opted for the smaller wheeled variety but didn't see the point really. Don't smaller wheels make it harder to pedal? Great if you're a masochist.

My mountain bike has been fantastic for years. The only fault being it's weight. Now if I could find a carbon fibre folding mountain bike....

Lost me there, if you are going to ride a bike at all why would you compromise and aim not to ride on probably the best size/weight/convenience format out there? There's a reason why that bike (and all the copies) are as popular as they are. Would a decent bag to carry it in make the difference?

I want to be able to quickly jump off an on it as and when.

The other one I was looking at is this:

http://www.strida.co.uk/english/technology.php?subpage=features

Viscount Linley has one I believe.

The electric skateboard appeals to me because......

All TPTB hate anything motorised, but with one of these, you could just manually push it along like an ordinary sketboard for a couple of strokes and I bet you average copper would be none the wiser - the throttle is radio controlled so you could operate that in your pocket - just beware when skating past a phone mast!!

Obviously your journey dictates the most suitable method... for me it is all flat and wide open spaces with not too may pedestrians - an electric board would be useless on the road or more crowded areas

You are weirder than your avatar.

p-o-p

The Sinclair goes off-road (I assume deliberately). Apparently, as part of a 30km jaunt - I can't see me going much more than 5km.

abike%20off-road%20john.jpg

http://vispelar.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/sybian.jpg

Joanna Lumley has one I believe.

You could always try a Stridahttp://www.strida.com/en/products/A bit wobbly at first but you get used to them quite quickly.Designed in Britain (if you care about such things) by Mark Sanders, also responsible for the folding chopping boards available in lurid colours from Josef Josef.

You could always try a Stridahttp://www.strida.com/en/products/A bit wobbly at first but you get used to them quite quickly.Designed in Britain (if you care about such things) by Mark Sanders, also responsible for the folding chopping boards available in lurid colours from Josef Josef.

Yep, I'm pretty keen on one of those. I quite like the whole stroller thing when it's folded. Is the pannier useable?

Zero(ish) setup time during the day, but able to fold down and then transport easily then?

Love the design of these, not quite what you are looking for though, and not available yet.

I use a folding mountain bike. I could have opted for the smaller wheeled variety but didn't see the point really. Don't smaller wheels make it harder to pedal? Great if you're a masochist.

My mountain bike has been fantastic for years. The only fault being it's weight. Now if I could find a carbon fibre folding mountain bike....

No, smaller wheels don't make it harder to pedal - the gears adjust for this. The wear and tear is greater on a smaller wheel (though they are cheaper to replace) and the ride can be a bit bumpier than normal (not generally a problem unless there are huge potholes).

Bromptons are considered the best, but there are plenty cheaper brands which are perfectly sufficent for most needs. If you're going to need to carry it a lot, then go for the Sinclair C5 version you mentioned or the Brompton can go in a suitcase I believe. Otherwise there are plenty others out there.

Yep, I'm pretty keen on one of those. I quite like the whole stroller thing when it's folded. Is the pannier useable?

Oops, Soon Not A... beat me to it.

I tend to ride with a rucksack on but have seen small briefcases strapped to the pannier frame. Other than that, not sure.

Probably won't wait til xmas. What I fritter on gadgets, tools and gizmos that are used once, never to see the light of day again, would give the more frugal HPCers an attack of the vapours.

That review has answered the pannier rack practicality question, a measly 5kg!