House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Courgettes

Follwoing on from our theme of vegatable threads earlier in the year, I am having some success growing my courgettes. So far so good.

Now I recall earlier in the year watching the hippy ginger piece with the veg garden on Beeb 2 saying what to do to encourage your courgettes to grow more "fruit". No idea what this tip was now. Anyone able to help?

Also what's the point of the long stems with only flowers? Some sort of birds and the bees effort (those sick ******s) or just a waste of growth?

Follwoing on from our theme of vegatable threads earlier in the year, I am having some success growing my courgettes. So far so good.

Now I recall earlier in the year watching the hippy ginger piece with the veg garden on Beeb 2 saying what to do to encourage your courgettes to grow more "fruit". No idea what this tip was now. Anyone able to help?

Also what's the point of the long stems with only flowers? Some sort of birds and the bees effort (those sick ******s) or just a waste of growth?

What is the point of courgettes. Grow something tasty.

What is the point of courgettes. Grow something tasty.

Slice courgettes; dip in milk flavoured with curry powder; dip in flour.

Fry until golden.

Eat. Eat more of 'em.

You'll think you've died and gone to gastro heaven....

I am rather concerned about my courgette plants. All the flowers seem to be male at the moment. Is this usual or should this be a pm to the openly gay posters?

p-o-p

I take it these are the ones on the long stems that don't turn into courgettes? I was never very good at science...

Slice courgettes; dip in milk flavoured with curry powder; dip in flour.

Fry until golden.

Eat. Eat more of 'em.

You'll think you've died and gone to gastro heaven....

.... that's a keeper, if we get any this year* I'll be right on that.

Also knock up a pakora/gram flour batter and deepfry sort of cigarette-card-sized chunks of the *******. Serve with yogurty cucumber shit or tomato salsa, mojo verde ...

Or burn black stripes across 1/4" thick longways slices of them with one of those castiron grill pans, oily dressing of your choice, aioli, olive & balsamic ...

Why people moan about courgettes I have not a scooby. Just about all I (well .. Peach) can grow successfully up here, guaranteed success, along with sprouting broc and feckin strawberries (may have to investigate ways of turning them into passable alcoholic bevvy, you can only eat so many ..).

First came across them during the Drought of '76, in Dorset. They were bringing them in from Brittany because all the proper english food, like peas or something, had died. Crushed by dying elm trees no doubt. Dee-licious, could not get enough, never got over their exotic gallic appeal it seems.

(When I were a lad there were six count 'em six vegetables, of which only tatties, kale and neeps were available outside of a tin, although connoisseurs preferred tinned taters, to go with their A&B Roll and Goblin Meatballs. Mind you the fruit, seasonal-only tomatoes, was grown under glass by our nearest neighbour, ******ing marvellous, used to work summers picking and so on for them).

*thrashed to nigh unto death the night after planting them out, by The Hell-Storm of the Apocalypse. Which has returned the night to rip the roses from around our cottage door. The whole inch-thick, ten-foot tall climber. ******.

Feed the plants more with seaweed/blood/rotted nettle-juice type liquid feed? Anyway the flowers, if you can keep the slugs away, are yummy done in a light, as-crisp-as-get-out tempura style batter. Tomato-base sauce, light, maybe?

I take it these are the ones on the long stems that don't turn into courgettes? I was never very good at science...

It's certainly true that some plants, like holly have seperate male and female plants!

Most veg is more "equal opportunity"! :blink:

You should eat the flowers! See for example this recipe, which looks very familiar to me (from my years in Italy).

Here's a clear, no-nonsense lady with another delicious recipe:

Yes they are.

When you get the glut that is almost inevitable, courgette soup is a great way to use them up and is ok to freeze.

edit

"them" in the last sentence refers to courgettes, not the male stems.

When the seeds (and the bit around them) reach the point where you want to take them out?

...so when you remove the seeds you then can stuff the marrow....any suggestions what you can stuff it with. ;)

It's certainly true that some plants, like holly have seperate male and female plants!

Most veg is more "equal opportunity"! :blink:

Kiwi fruit as well.

...so when you remove the seeds you then can stuff the marrow....any suggestions what you can stuff it with. ;)

I've done nicely with a spiced up lentil/onion/mushroom mix. Add rice, and a sauce (or just grated cheese).

I've done nicely with a spiced up lentil/onion/mushroom mix. Add rice, and a sauce (or just grated cheese).

Sounds very tasty....will give it a go. ;)

My dad always did a minced beef and gravy stuffing, my wide does them in more of a Greek style, similar to dolmades stuffing. Sometimes inc. Mince

Slice into rings about 5mm thick.Melt butter in a pan,add a bit of extra virgin to prevent burning.Fry until brown.

Excellent......a touch of garlic would not go amiss. ;)

I've had great success with courgettes this year.

Sprayed the f***ing things with weedkiller now the vile things won't grow.

Result!

On the packet of seeds I planted this year it said to harvest them while still quite small, to encourage more fruit. Seems to be working so far.

According to this, the flowers need to be pollinated otherwise there's no courgette. Makes sense to me as the fleshy part is ultimately the container for the seeds.