House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pauly_Boy

Suit Recommendations

Evening all

Unfortunately I ripped my one and only suit whilst at royal ascot, I'm unsure how as my brother fed me far too much drink. Anyway, I was a bit gutted as it was a YSL one that fitted perfectly (as everyone told me!)

So, I'm now looking for a new suit as I can't find a replacement pair of trousers. Looking around the shops, I saw a suit by Lanificio Fili Cerruti dal 1881 and another by Green Racing that I liked the look of.

Has anyone had any experiance of these or can you recommend another brand?

Depends what you want to pay.

My suits tend to be from Gieves and Hawkes and I went to Brioni for my DJ, shoes from Churches.

Charity shops usually have a selection for around £10 each

:rolleyes::)

From the sublime.....

Guest anorthosite

Depends what you want to pay.

My suits tend to be from Gieves and Hawkes and I went to Brioni for my DJ, shoes from Churches.

I bet you wax your chest as well :P

You could try www.asuitthatfits.co.uk

They used to be good value, haven't tried them for several years.

I bet you wax your chest as well :P

:lol:

I used to wear black levis, doc martins and my tshirts were freebees from techie expos. Then I started my own business and realised that I had to play the game.

Gieves and Hawkes were the outfitters that I was using when the Navy decided I was more of a danger to them than I would ever be to the ruskies. Just stuck with them, plus they have a branch in Winchester about 8 miles away from the hovel.

a YSL one that fitted perfectly ... Lanificio Fili Cerruti dal 1881 and another by Green Racing ...

Are these shops you're looking in on Ebay? Only place I see that stuff.

I've had a few suitably eccentric but quality whistles offa Yankee Ebay (I designate my kid bro as delivery & he sends 'em)

As Tom Mahon points out, out of all the ready-to-wear and made-to-measure schmutter, Marks do as good a job as anyone could wish for, I'd always go there first.

Best suit buy recently was off the rack Steel & Jelly - seem to be based in Birmingham. This one is just for the summer, not work. Excellent style, fit and finish in 44R. Pleasure to wear.

Suits from Asia have the right inches on the label, but they skimp on shoulder room/leg length. (Someone will now inform me the one I bought was made ... in Asia.)

The suit makes far less difference than the person wearing it...

633970911024183325-dictatorchic.jpg

However, if you really must look super trendy-dude cool.. how about this:

pimp_jr.jpg

Odd, the mention of "suit" brings up the vision of that pimp outfit!! :blink:

The more expensive ones from major retailers are excellent suits in my experience.

If you pay £300+ at somewhere like M&S you get a superb, albeit off-the-peg, suit.

On a more serious note, Slaters (if they are still around?!) used to tailor a suit for the same price as an off the peg one. Prices from £80 to £300 odd from memory.. with the added benefit, obviously, of a perfect fit.

lol, to be honest I thought more people on here would wear suits?

I'll check that site out imp, thanks.

This is the internet, most people are posting naked with a half finished bottle of White Lightning! :huh:

Guest Noodle

Suits are a nuisance. Forget suits.

Jackets and trousers. Versatile and far more sophisticated. Jackets last forever if you go for the right material like Harris Tweed. This saves a lot of money over time and you won't look like a 1980's throw back. Suits are nasty, nasty things.

Have a browse through this:

Jackets

Now you're looking for Brooks Taverner and Austin Reed.

Brooks Taverner

Austin Reed

Suits are a nuisance. Forget suits.

Jackets and trousers. Versatile and far more sophisticated. Jackets last forever if you go for the right material like Harris Tweed. This saves a lot of money over time and you won't look like a 1980's throw back. Suits are nasty, nasty things.

Just grabbed myself a "vintage" Harris Tweed jacket off ebay, £42 inc and it looks unworn; lining, label, everything is pristine. I guess they're not that popular any more -- which must be why the Harris weavers are declining in numbers.

I didn't realise but most of ebay the sellers post full tailoring measurements, which you can check by measuring an existing well-fitting jacket. At least I hope the numbers translate okay :) though it's only for "country" use.

Guest Noodle

Just grabbed myself a "vintage" Harris Tweed jacket off ebay, £42 inc and it looks unworn; lining, label, everything is pristine. I guess they're not that popular any more -- which must be why the Harris weavers are declining in numbers.

I didn't realise but most of ebay the sellers post full tailoring measurements, which you can check by measuring an existing well-fitting jacket. At least I hope the numbers translate okay :) though it's only for "country" use.

It's simply golden isn't it.

Real clothes, not fashion, last a lifetime.

Also recommend reefer jackets (pea coats). Probably the best buy for reefer coats

Mix it up with cheapo Asda George polo piques, white/navy blue/light blue (£4), shirts and trousers (avoid the polyester/nylon things, look for cotton and wool mix but machine washable). Chinos are acceptable, £8.

Now you can wear brown tan shoes instead of black (unnecessary evil) and have a nice goats skin leather vintage messenger bag (around £50).

£42, you were ripped off, £10 is my limit for vintage Harris tweed in the charity shops. They last for decades and look the bizz. But sometimes a vintage 3 piece suit is what you need, preferably accessorised with vintage cotton shirt and silk tie