House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dexterfletcher

Life Buildings, Hulme

Does anyone know the Life Buildings in Hulme? They're the flats with the nice view over asda car park.

I've been looking at buying a flat in Chorlton, but can't get anything for my budget, even Whalley Range isn't much cheaper. I went for a viewing of a duplex in the Life Building and it was quite impressive, the public areas were well kept and the flat was massive compared to everything else I've seen, plus the transport links are good.

My requirements are two bedrooms (second as a study) and I'd rather have a flat than a house, budget about 110k max.

I'm quite tempted by it but my heads telling me it's a bad idea, it's the kind of place I'd think was terrible until I actually started thinking about buying.

Any thoughts?

They're the flats with the nice view over asda car park.

That says it all, I hope you were being ironic.

One hundred and ten thousand english pounds for a view of the car park of a supermarket only 2nd in scuzziness to Longsight Asda. No, no and thrice no. No personal experience of that development but there are 2 historical tenets with Hulme new-builds. In the early years, the building snagging takes a while and the locals like to test the security arrangement. I honestly can't remember how old Life is now so you might escape that. Some will say there's always rental potential if you want to move out, all those DSS getting £548pcm to rent a 2 bedder and all those local students and eastern europeans economic migrants etc. I hope you really like students as last I heard there's going to be a large new MMU campus on the wasteland remaining on Birley Fields.

I've been there, done that and thank the ****** got out of it, not that I'm biased or anything. I was desperate to get out, the potential downside when the city centre flat situation implodes and the knock-on effect of that doesn't bear thinking about. Rent in the area by all means but buy? No thanks.

I think daiking summed it all up pretty well! :lol:

I've always looked at those flats and wondered who the f*ck would live there!

... and agreed about the longsight asda v hulme one. jesus.

Where would you recommend? I don't fancy a terrace in a endless row (Fallowfield etc.) or a shoe box in south manchester.

To rent? Anywhere, take your pick.

To buy? I wouldn't touch anywhere and I sold a flat on Stretford Road in March. Lived around there for 6 years, didn't have any trouble so its not that I have an issue with, its the relative price of property.

There is a huge unknown with the amount of new build properties in the city centre and any number of redeveloped areas nearby, Hulme, Ancoats, Salford etc. in the risk of everything unwinding, although it seems to have been avoided for so long. But if city centre flats crash to Hulme prices (and there don't seem to be many people who can afford to buy them and want to live in them), where does that leave Hulme prices? What's the leasehold set-up at Life? Is it Riverside? (formerly Harbour Housing) or someone else? What are fees like? Who was the builder? Bellway have done a lot round there and I'm not overly impressed with their build quality nor attention to snagging. Someone else did the big dev by the 3 legs of man pub on Stretford Rd and there's horror stories about them - lots of shared ownership there too, stay well away. At least you've got all the amenities by Life. Asda, Poundstretcher, Argos, the market, the leisure centre, noisy kids at the FE college round the corner, all the best places. IMHO its past walking distance to town too.

Why Hulme? Do you need the parking? (The main reason we moved there). Ally Park and Whalley Range, I'm not that familiar with and Chorlton which I know only a little better has always seemed ludicrously priced to me. I know Hulme almost makes sense when you compare rents to mortgages but don't forget leasehold mgt fees they add up (and up and up every year). Would you be happy still owning that flat in 5-10 years time?

hulme ain't that bad, stop being a bunch of pussies :) - it's not Moss Side. It's close to town, walking distance in, cheap taxi's back, it has shops and bars and a community, has a mix of natives and students and is the best of a bad bunch just outside the ring road. Ffs don't buy in this market, rent maybe - perhaps compare prices with castlefield - but if the proximity of the city is not the point of the interest, there is no point living in hulme, as other have said, that money will get you plenty more as you head out in EVERY direction.

. Would you be happy still owning that flat in 5-10 years time?

That's the bottom line for me - can you cope with waking up to a view of a supermarket carpark for 10 years? And imagine trying to sell the thing at any stage in teh meantime, with the glut of similar flats that'll be on the market.

I was using the Asda bottle bank there recently and shuddered at teh thought of sitting with the window open while some ***** clangs bottles below my window. Buck that!

Lots of people got stuck with unsuitable and unsellable flats when the music stopped - I wouldn't be in an enormous rush to join them.