House Price Crash Forum
eurows

The Landlord Who Hired A Hitman

I actually have some sympathy for the landlady in this case, but really she should never of got involved with the whole thing. There are always gonna be awkward tenants around and I can understand why she turnt to bringing in the heavys (almost). Hopefully stories like this will put off all the mug BTLers.

Guest Bart of Darkness

The Landlord Who Hired A Hitman

Mental note: Must be nicer to TTRTR in future!

The bit I liked was

He didn't offer me my money back.

So you basically employ somebody to go and kick your tenant's head in and expect that person to be honorable and trust worthy when it comes to giving you your money back when you pull out.

I don't have any sympathy for her to be honest, because she did nothing to protect herself from it. She let him pay rent in cash and didn't seem to get references or a decent deposit.

Edited by gilf

Its not hard to figure out that its best to rent to someone of your own nationality,class, religion etc. This way you can weigh them up fairly accurately when you meet them. You can understand how they think and you know how to deal with them if something goes wrong.

Similar, but slightly off topic.

Reminds me of the story of Joe Meek, the record producer. He produced The Tornadoes (Telstar) Heinz (Just like Eddie) and the Honeycombs (Have I the Right) from his flat in the Holloway Road.

On 3rd February 1967, the eighth anniversary of Buddy Holly's death, he shot his landlady dead then killed himself.

Thought I would cheer you lot up stuck in hot stuffy offices this sunny afternoon!

By the way if you are driving down Holloway Road from the Archway you can see a plaque on the wall of his flat. It's on a building on the left just before the railway bridges.

what would happen if you killed this hitman defending your home? or you put up a fight and the thug kills the tenant?

wouldn't surprise me to see the landlord going down for accessory to murder.

Its not hard to figure out that its best to rent to someone of your own nationality,class, religion etc. This way you can weigh them up fairly accurately when you meet them. You can understand how they think and you know how to deal with them if something goes wrong.

Mind you I have met a lot of greedy bullying white people who were totally believing and charming when they were on the down side of the haggle, and since they are 'my own kind' I feel safe to pass comment... so she could have got just as lucky there too! I saw that article and I really do feel for her. She wasn't racist, sexist , homophobic or religiously bigoted in the way that she chose her tenant. Total respect, but she probably needs to learn how to find her instinct and trust it. Otherwise its such a disgustingly slippery slope.

In 1986 my local magistrates court fined me 400 Pounds for "Wrongful Eviction", and on my way into the courtroom my 'brief' cheerfully informed me......"you know you could get two years for this ? "

I wish to hell I had known "Big Kev" :)

Sorry to disagree mate.....

You cant spot a good tenant and you cant spot a bad one either. Only hindsight will let you know that.

If you are a landlord and you're stupid or getting desparate for a tenat then you're bound to start taking risks you shouldnt be taking - that then leads you into the arms of people like 'Big Kev'....but that should tell you, you bought in the wrong area or you're asking for too much rent.

I prefer to pay 2% of my rent in 'RPI' Rental Protection Insurance - and the insurance kicks in after 8 weeks, its backdated and pays me every penny of rent until the day they leave and pays all the eviction costs.

These buffoons see my job as an easy way to mi££ions!!! It's a business, just like owning a chippy or anything else and you need to treat it (and your customers)with some respect.

These people miss the point of being a landlord. This is my normal day -

Slater, the taps dripping, I've lost my front door key, the heating isnt working, theres a funny smell in the garden, the toilet is all blocked up (my personal favourite job...NOT!!), I've been burgled, etc. etc. etc..... and before anyone says it, thats not all in one house.