House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Foreign Holidays Collapse To Lowest Rate Since 1970's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10614196.stm

Visits abroad by UK residents fell by 15% in 2009, the fastest rate since the 1970s, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
A total of 58.6 million trips were made last year, 10.4 million fewer than in 2008.
The number of visitors coming to the UK also fell, but at a slower rate of 6.3%, with 29.9 million overseas residents entering the UK.

More evidence of a slowdown and now that house prices have officially joined the deflating bubble there should be plenty of gloom ahead. :D *

* :(

Guest eight

Volcano. Strikes. Value (What's it like going to euroland with the £?)

I was in the Algarve last week and it was dead beyond words. Oddly though, it didn't seem to have occured to the owners of the many empty restaurants to tempt in the few remaining punters by, say, lowering prices. So perhaps they can't afford to.

eight

I work for several providers of UK holiday accommodation, some restaurants too.

This year is a complete diaster, especially for holiday cottages, hotels and restaurants. DISASTER.

Massive peak season Voids. Can't even friggin discount usually because owners have borrowed up to the limit and can't afford to discount.

People are going on fewer holidays and shorter holidays. When they eat out, they are going for cheap meals and the cheapest wine (if they drink anything atall).

And with the UK weather forecasts suggesting a cold WASHOUT for the next 2 months (already had flooding here in Wales, and gales), according to most of the long range forecasts I've seen, things can only get WORSE.

Edited by gruffydd

We went to Tenerife earlier this year (got stranded by the volcano to!). The local bar, business, and restaurant owners that we spoke to told us that they were hurting. Many businesses have closed or are struggling LINK. I think the tourist numbers were down circa 15%.

And stuff was more expensive with the poor £/euro rate. We don't really want to go to places like Egypt though, where armed guards are at the entrance of hotels.

The stats are for 2009 so the volcano wouldn't have caused it. Might be worse this year though!

Hopefully it will be cheaper for me to hide in Lanzarote this winter.

Package holidays this year seem to be extraordinarily expensive based on what I have seen. Not sure if it was down to the high euro when they priced them.

And stuff was more expensive with the poor £/euro rate. We don't really want to go to places like Egypt though, where armed guards are at the entrance of hotels.

Quite. My MIL is a keen sun worshipper and won't go to Egypt or anywhere with loads of bugs (Is it Majorca full of cockroaches?). She's started going all inclusive as it's a better deal.

Quite. My MIL is a keen sun worshipper and won't go to Egypt or anywhere with loads of bugs (Is it Majorca full of cockroaches?). She's started going all inclusive as it's a better deal.

All inclusive deals are one of the things that the canarian bar and restaurant owners moan about on the Tenerife Forum I linked to = too many of the reduced numbers of tourists staying in the hotel complex for their meals.

This year is a complete diaster, especially for holiday cottages, hotels and restaurants. DISASTER.

Massive peak season Voids. Can't even friggin discount usually because owners have borrowed up to the limit and can't afford to discount.

People are going on fewer holidays and shorter holidays. When they eat out, they are going for cheap meals and the cheapest wine (if they drink anything atall).

And with the UK weather forecasts suggesting a cold WASHOUT for the next 2 months (already had flooding here in Wales, and gales), according to most of the long range forecasts I've seen, things can only get WORSE.

I'm not surprised. I looked into prices for a long weekend on a self hire boat on the Norfolk Broads. The smallest one - that looked like a 70s floating caravan - was about £800. Absurd. Prices of b&bs, small hotels etc equally ludicrous.

Staycationing is dead.

I think it was a bit of a media myth anyway. People who are used to going abroad for a holiday aren't suddenly going to holiday in the U.K. instead. I know people who have always taken a break in the UK but aren't this year. £600 for 2 weeks in a 'mobile home' in early July (i.e. before schools finish) in Clarach Bay, Wales.

They're having a giraffe.

We've looked at booking direct next year and going to a hotel we've been to before in Zante.

€30 per night B&B for 2 rooms for 5 of us. I thought £350 wasn't bad for 2 weeks accomodation until I tried to get flights and the cost ranged from £1500 - £2000. I think we'll leave it for the moment.

I think it was a bit of a media myth anyway. People who are used to going abroad for a holiday aren't suddenly going to holiday in the U.K. instead. I know people who have always taken a break in the UK but aren't this year. £600 for 2 weeks in a 'mobile home' in early July (i.e. before schools finish) in Clarach Bay, Wales.

They're having a giraffe.

I recently spent a 5 days self catering in Brixham, 2 people - £80.

If you can't stretch to that, borrow a tent, cost of holiday = food & travel expenses.

IT IS ALL LINKED TO THE ABSURD RISE OF PROPERTY PRICES SINCE 1995. Homes in the west country bought as second homes in former fishing villages have enjoyed outrageous house price inflation. EG A Cottage ( 2 up 2 down fishermans home) in Rock or Padstow was about £65k in 1995. Today it may be as much as £300k for some. They are tiny and then rented out as holiday cottages - if bought in recent times, it just does not add up! Lots of remortgaging later, it does not add up for some less recent purchasers. Just wait for rates to start rising!

Package holidays this year seem to be extraordinarily expensive based on what I have seen. Not sure if it was down to the high euro when they priced them.

I've just been on a work trip to the US. The flight cost me £1,050 for an economy class return from MME-FAI. That is £400 more than the same trip has ever cost me in the previous six Julys I've made it, and over double the average. OK, I expected it to be a little more because the outward journey was at the start of the July 4 weekend, but that much more?! Furthermore all the flights were full or close to full, with a queue of standbys trying to get on to the Minneapolis to Amsterdam leg coming home. I can't work out why the airlines have whacked up the price of tickets this much without, it appears, destroying demand. I presume that there must be enough rich leisure travellers and business travellers who are willing to pay a lot more than they previously have been to enable the airlines to increase their fares drastically, and that the airlines did their research carefully before doing so. But these prices surely must be deterring a significant number of leisure travellers. Maybe the airlines have reduced the number of flights they're operating in order to boost demand on the remaining ones.

IT IS ALL LINKED TO THE ABSURD RISE OF PROPERTY PRICES SINCE 1995. Homes in the west country bought as second homes in former fishing villages have enjoyed outrageous house price inflation. EG A Cottage ( 2 up 2 down fishermans home) in Rock or Padstow was about £65k in 1995. Today it may be as much as £300k for some. They are tiny and then rented out as holiday cottages - if bought in recent times, it just does not add up! Lots of remortgaging later, it does not add up for some less recent purchasers. Just wait for rates to start rising!

Nail on head...

A lot of the stupid prices being asked for UK holidays is tied up with the huge debts that the owners of hotels, holiday lets, and B&Bs racked up during the crazy years. I remember staying in a 8 bed B&B in Whitby at xmas 2008. It's website advertised that it was up for sale at £600k. How much cash would such a business have to expend servicing a debt of that size? And how much of a 'debt premium' is priced into the average holiday let's room rate in the UK?

There were lots of overpriced flats bought off plan in places like Whitby by BTLers who effectively expect tourists to service their debts. Be interesting to see how such businesses fare when IRs go up.

Nail on head...

A lot of the stupid prices being asked for UK holidays is tied up with the huge debts that the owners of hotels, holiday lets, and B&Bs racked up during the crazy years. I remember staying in a 8 bed B&B in Whitby at xmas 2008. It's website advertised that it was up for sale at £600k. How much cash would such a business have to expend servicing a debt of that size? And how much of a 'debt premium' is priced into the average holiday let's room rate in the UK?

There were lots of overpriced flats bought off plan in places like Whitby by BTLers who effectively expect tourists to service their debts. Be interesting to see how such businesses fare when IRs go up.

This sums up why HPI is a toxic disease that needs to be eradicated through punitive taxation in the case of multiple homes and BTL.

HPI kills economies, wrecks villages and tears apart the fabric of every aspect of life. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

No problem , i'm sure we can find some way of not tying this into the economic troubles.

1)It's the world cup , people are sitting home watching it instead of going overseas

2)It must be the weather

3)People have spent all their savings on tins of baked beans and black market rifles

4)Everyone in the UK just discovered HPC and is now reluctant to go outside

No problem , i'm sure we can find some way of not tying this into the economic troubles.

1)It's the world cup , people are sitting home watching it instead of going overseas

2)It must be the weather

3)People have spent all their savings on tins of baked beans and black market rifles

4)Everyone in the UK just discovered HPC and is now reluctant to go outside

Just wait until the Raoul Moat factor takes effect.

Just wait until the Raoul Moat factor takes effect.

You could market 'catch the gunman' adventure holidays: a Derrick Bird trail in Cumbria, the Rothbury Raoul Moat shootout experience, a Dunblane kiddie shoot spectacular, the Michael Ryan re-enactment experience in Hungerford, etc. etc...

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri