House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evictee

Cabin Bags

What's the story with every airline having thier own rules for carry on luggage sizes? They're all over the place. And is anyone with experience flying with FlyBe able to recommend any bags which meet thier unusually small maximum dimensions of 50x35x23cm? Ideally it would actually be 50x35x20cm so that it could also be used with the other budget airlines which specify 55x40x20cm.

Flybe fly much smaller planes than the other locos - Embraer 190, de Havilland Dash 8, even the ancient Saab 340 - so cabin space is much more limited than on an A319 or B737.

Flybe fly much smaller planes than the other locos - Embraer 190, de Havilland Dash 8, even the ancient Saab 340 - so cabin space is much more limited than on an A319 or B737.

I suppose I'll forgive them that then, although there's still a remarkable degree of variation amongst the rest of the major UK carriers.

FlyBe must have a decent share of the market now though so what I don't understand is why after hours online I can't find a bag which approaches (from below) the maximum dimensions that'll get you onto most airlines, i.e. 50cm x 35cm x 20cm?

P.S. Although this surely amounts to a market failure I didn't actually mean to post this on the main forum... Could someone move it off topic please?

Absolute chaos coming back with British Airways from South Africa... People were allowed to carry on cases that were bigger than mine which I checked into the hold. Some people had 3 cases and were struggling up the aisle of the jumbo.

Some punters were shouting at the stewards/stewardesses about no room in the overhead lockers. They argued that you have to work it out yourselves and that they are not allowed to help for health and safety/insurance reasons.

On the plus side, I believe quite a few Vuvuzelas were crushed in the process. :D

Must also point out that the cabin crew were very rude and half the seats had no power.. So not tv, radio, lights and not even the ability to summon a miserable member of the cabin crew for the entire 11 hour flight.

Made me proud to fly BA...

Cabin baggage is a disgrace. When I see someone put one of those massive hard cases above me in a locker. Lockers can burst open if there is a lot of turbulence, and the bags could fall out.

Airlines need to get the whole cabin baggage thing back under some sort of sensible control.

Absolute chaos coming back with British Airways from South Africa... People were allowed to carry on cases that were bigger than mine which I checked into the hold. Some people had 3 cases and were struggling up the aisle of the jumbo.

Some punters were shouting at the stewards/stewardesses about no room in the overhead lockers. They argued that you have to work it out yourselves and that they are not allowed to help for health and safety/insurance reasons.

On the plus side, I believe quite a few Vuvuzelas were crushed in the process. :D

Must also point out that the cabin crew were very rude and half the seats had no power.. So not tv, radio, lights and not even the ability to summon a miserable member of the cabin crew for the entire 11 hour flight.

Made me proud to fly BA...

Half the seats had no power? Not sure I'd even board that plane.....glad you made it back in one piece.

Some of those carry on cases with wheels and pull out handle (specifically designed for overhead storage lockers) are 90% of the weight allowance on the budget airlines as it is.

I always travel with a well made cloth/non-ridged rucksack, so you can "make it fit" into the size guage thing they have at the gate!

Half the seats had no power? Not sure I'd even board that plane.....glad you made it back in one piece.

This was a point that was raised on numerous occasions on the way home. They kept saying that all they needed to do was re-boot the entertainment system and all would be well. Each re-boot took 15 minutes and by the time they declared it a non starter we were half way home. The fact that the reading lights and cabin assistant light did not work caused those that were affected to question the pre-flight checks with the ground crew in SA...

Everyone was handed a complaint form and I filled mine in and await a response.

Miserable flight.

Some of those carry on cases with wheels and pull out handle (specifically designed for overhead storage lockers) are 90% of the weight allowance on the budget airlines as it is.

I always travel with a well made cloth/non-ridged rucksack, so you can "make it fit" into the size guage thing they have at the gate!

Flew back from Stettin yesterday. Ryan Air were rigidly enforcing the bag size rule.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Evictee. You really should have posted on here first up. We love this sort of thread over here.

Now, imagine I'm the customs person. I'm going to ask you to unpack your bag and explain, for each item,

a) why you needed it on the flight? You didnt need it on the flight? Well why didnt you check it in?*

B) what exactly is this? And what is it used for?^

*Except mine. Because I'm a hypocrite.

^Rolf, Quorky,Anorthosite and all the regulars - please post photos of what might have come out of the bag....

I'll start:

noisy1.jpg

post-11428-12790370341689_thumb.jpg

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. They don't seem to come in 50x35x20cm though...

Guest happy?

Welcome to the Dark Side, Evictee. You really should have posted on here first up. We love this sort of thread over here.

Now, imagine I'm the customs person. I'm going to ask you to unpack your bag and explain, for each item,

a) why you needed it on the flight? You didnt need it on the flight? Well why didnt you check it in?*

B) what exactly is this? And what is it used for?^

*Except mine. Because I'm a hypocrite.

^Rolf, Quorky,Anorthosite and all the regulars - please post photos of what might have come out of the bag....

I'll start:

noisy1.jpg

brussels-sprouts.jpeg

Guest happy?

I'll start:

noisy1.jpg

honey_badger_02.jpg

Some of the surf/snowboard brands make really well thought out overhead bags. I have used a Burton (snowboard company, not UK high street) "flight deck" bag for arou nd 10 years and it still serves me really well. I fly 30-40 times a year. They squash to fit everything including flybe, and have stowable rucksack straps to help carry to/from the airport. Just checked this years version and it seems it comes with wheels too. Probably handy but adds to the weight and makes stowing harder. If you can find something similar it will serve you really well...

Link to see this years version:

Don't get me started on this. I've just had a particularly annoying experience with Delta on that score. Even though the rule (for economy class passengers) states explicitly that you're allowed 'one item of hand baggage and one personal item', e.g. a laptop or small handbag) the actual rule in practice seems to be one of survival of the fittest. If you're able to be at the gate in good time, no problem - you just get there early enough to be near the front of the queue and thus to get your carry-on into an overhead bin. On a trip I just came back from, I only had 35 minutes for a connection at Minneapolis. So by the time I got to the Amsterdam plane, it had already boarded and I was one of the stragglers at the end. Needless to say, the overhead bins were all completely full, many containing two large wheelie suitcases side by side, with labels attached indicating that they both belonged to the same passenger. When I pointed out to the flight attendant that I only had one carry-on as per the rules, that it contained my laptop (and thus I didn't want to risk the damage that could result from it going in the hold) and pointed out that many other passengers had put more than one item in the overhead bins, which their announcements specifically ask you not to do, she refused to ask any other passengers to check one of their two carry-ons and required me to check my only one. Thankfully the laptop survived, but I made a point of noting her name and taking a couple of mobile phone pics of the multiple cases belonging to single owners in the bins in order to make an insurance claim and/or complaint to Delta in the event that my laptop didn't survive the flight in the hold.

This seems to have got a lot worse since Delta took over Northwest, which leads me to suspect that the 'survival of the fittest' policy is deliberate. Many's the time I'd see NW boarding agents stopping people from walking down the jetway with more than one carry-on.

Some of the surf/snowboard brands make really well thought out overhead bags. I have used a Burton (snowboard company, not UK high street) "flight deck" bag for arou nd 10 years and it still serves me really well. I fly 30-40 times a year. They squash to fit everything including flybe, and have stowable rucksack straps to help carry to/from the airport. Just checked this years version and it seems it comes with wheels too. Probably handy but adds to the weight and makes stowing harder. If you can find something similar it will serve you really well...

Great advice, thanks. I'll check out some extreme sports haunts. Looks like that wheeled Burton is too big for FlyBe, but hopefully the earlier models can be picked up somewhere. Cheers.

Great advice, thanks. I'll check out some extreme sports haunts. Looks like that wheeled Burton is too big for FlyBe, but hopefully the earlier models can be picked up somewhere. Cheers.

As a regular traveller with a now tatty 5 year old bag I've been trawling t'web since seeing this. You're right, apparently they are officially too big for Sleazy and for Bloody Awful (and I presume a lot of other euro carriers too). Seems they are made for the US market, where the allowances are bigger. You might get away with it, you might not sometimes. Also, the only cheap ones I could find were in shocking colours, plus one or two unhappy reviewers complaining of them falling apart really quickly, so I may keep looking

Cabin baggage is a disgrace. When I see someone put one of those massive hard cases above me in a locker. Lockers can burst open if there is a lot of turbulence, and the bags could fall out.

Airlines need to get the whole cabin baggage thing back under some sort of sensible control.

Agreed, they must be flying with half empty holds....I find that so many are now bringing on hand luggage, duty free bags, coats and whatnots the lockers are full to bursting point. Also the late arrivers are finding there is insufficient room in the lockers near their seat to put their own cases in, so there is a mad late minute rush to find spare room somewhere else on the plane nowhere near where they are sitting....I dread the lockers bursting open also and think it is quite dangerous....also find same airline, different airports, different rules about size of hand luggage, much of the luggage is far bigger than the bag size checker at the airports nobody seems to use. ;)

Guest happy?

Some of the surf/snowboard brands make really well thought out overhead bags. I have used a Burton (snowboard company, not UK high street) "flight deck" bag for around 10 years and it still serves me really well. I fly 30-40 times a year. They squash to fit everything including flybe, and have stowable rucksack straps to help carry to/from the airport. Just checked this years version and it seems it comes with wheels too. Probably handy but adds to the weight and makes stowing harder. If you can find something similar it will serve you really well...

You are one sick fu ck

Conn20Double20Bell201.jpg

Don't get me started about musical instruments! That film "Desperado" has a lot to answer for! :huh: