House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indebted

Advice On Info. Divulged By Tax Office

Good afternoon :)

Hoping that some folks on here can help me with a quick query please.

Had a friend on the phone this morning in a bit of a state! They have been on incapacity benefit for some time but feel that looking for a job might now be good for them (depression etc.).

They have a job interview next week. Firstly they intend to answer the question on the medical questionnaire about absence from work in the last year by simply stating "not employed during this time". I am concerned that this could be construed as lying by omission, but they do not want to declare that they have been on IB. Thoughts please???

Secondly, if they are the successful applicant and the new employer contacts the tax office for a tax code would the inland revenue disclose that the person had been on IB or would they just issue a tax code and no other info?

I don't know how to advise my friend about these issues as I've never been in this situation! Are prospective employers really so judgey about depression and IB?? Am I being naive in thinking that honesty is always the best policy? The job is only temporary and an office job at their local council.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers.

Guest happy?

Had a friend on the phone this morning in a bit of a state! They have been on incapacity benefit for some time but feel that looking for a job might now be good for them (depression etc.).

They have a job interview next week. Firstly they intend to answer the question on the medical questionnaire about absence from work in the last year by simply stating "not employed during this time". I am concerned that this could be construed as lying by omission, but they do not want to declare that they have been on IB. Thoughts please???

Secondly, if they are the successful applicant and the new employer contacts the tax office for a tax code would the inland revenue disclose that the person had been on IB or would they just issue a tax code and no other info?

I don't know how to advise my friend about these issues as I've never been in this situation! Are prospective employers really so judgey about depression and IB?? Am I being naive in thinking that honesty is always the best policy? The job is only temporary and an office job at their local council.

Cheers.

I think your friend will be fine. The tax code does nothing to disclose the person's previous position regarding their reason for not working. However, if your friend does not disclose to their new employer information material to their employment it is legally grounds for dismissal - even where it has no material effect on their performance.

As to working in local government even on a temporary basis your friend can expect heaps of abuse on this site from the self-righteous.

As to working in local government even on a temporary basis your friend can expect heaps of abuse on this site from the self-righteous.

Oooh, the self righteous. How awful.

Cheers.

The Tax Office just issues tax codes. There would be no reason to release any other info and the Tax Office may not even have the IB details at hand. The Tax Office would probably be breaking the Data Protection Act 1998 if it released other information unneccessarily.

As for the question, it depends how it is worded. You can only be absent from work if you have work to be absent from. "not employed during this time" covers it and is an accurate answer.

They may probe why he/she has been unemployed at an interview, and an honest answer should be given. A good employer would be sympathetic. Good luck to them.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate on the grounds of past health unless the job involves something which clashes with any health issue. Also a local council will be doubly aware of this. If it was private sector I would say lie, but as it's public sector, it might actually be an advantage.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

My friend has being doing some voluntary work and I've advised them to really focus on the postive aspect of this and not just on the whole IB/depression aspect.

I have looked into the DD Act but I have also heard some horror stories about being employers being really negative about mental health issues.

The irony is that my friend would be a great employee because they would really appreciate the opportunity to work again!

Guest happy?

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

My friend has being doing some voluntary work and I've advised them to really focus on the postive aspect of this and not just on the whole IB/depression aspect.

I have looked into the DD Act but I have also heard some horror stories about being employers being really negative about mental health issues.

The irony is that my friend would be a great employee because they would really appreciate the opportunity to work again!

If they have applied for a job with a local authority they will be asked to disclose details of any medical conditions (including depression) on that form. The form is seen only by the HR department who may then refer it to an occupational nurse / doctor who will independently decide whether it could materially affect the person's performance.

At no stage in this process is the employer/line manager informed (and it's a breach of confidentiality / dismissal offence) for any of those involved to disclose this information.

As I said earlier, failure to disclose relevant information can lead to dismissal. Your friend's best approach is to disclose the information on the medical form but not to the interviewer/line manager as they are not entitled to the information.

Just called my friend and apparently the wording on the medical form is;

"Please indicate the number of days and reasons for absence due to sickness in the last year"

"Please indicate the number of days and reasons for absence due to sickness in the last year"

If your friend didn't have a job they don't need to answer the question. Some places offer guaranteed interviews to disabled candidates who meet all the essetnial requirements of the job (essential requirements will be on the person spec). If your friend is still suffering they could describe themselves as disabled and thus try to wrangle a guaranteed interview if that place offers it (if they do it will be on the form)

They will not be discriminated against in the public sector. It will probably be a plus.

Best of luck

I would write "N/A"

If they ask directly I don't think your friend should lie.. as others have said it doesn't necessarily sound any worse that they have been ill than if they had just been bumming around for a year. Might even work in their favour.

Guest X-QUORK

If your friend thinks he can do the job properly and won't let his employer down then don't mention mental health issues, he won't get a job if he does - period.

I would also put n/a here and if asked, explain that was doing voluntary work. If he was still employed at some point during the year but signed off on sick pay, he should be open about that.

Your friend needs to be honest that they were not employed and doing voluntary work. Tax code will be from the benefits office but there's not a different tax code for IB and JSA. Any job is going to want references from a most recent employer so he has to have his dates right. Lots of places refuse full references now but still send out a letter confirming the dates of employment and that the person was not sacked.

As far as revealing the medical condition, it's not actually illegal not to disclose the mental health condition, howevever, the problem would be if he later took time off for the condition. The employer could then say that they were misinformed and might use it as a basis for refusing occupational sick pay or flexible working. Much better to reveal the condition as, yes, they cannot discriminate against mental health conditions. As it's a temporary job, they probably won't be worried anyway. Most important thing with these public sector jobs is to have an example ready for each comptency they ask for in the person specification as the panel will need to tick off the boxes.