House Price Crash Forum
Timm

Live Housing Market Debate

I see no live debate?

I did see a comment saying that we are planning to hijack the debate! I wasn't aware of this? Are our questions as potential buyers not important?

anyone tried asking a question?

It's mostly people asking whether they should buy now or not - hardly testing for the 'experts' who are coming out with the usual guff.

The sort of replies for the 'experts', presumably up to their nuts in properties:

I have already commented about London being a different market. It is very much a global city rather than just the capital of the UK as far as property prices are concerned. In my view London will continue to buck the national trend. It did take a hit in 2007/2008 but very quickly recovered and should continue to do so.
In many areas, prices are continuing to defy general economic and market conditions, primarily due to a lack of stock.

If there is an extreme lack of stock in a desirable area, which Islington is, then the sheer strength of demand for a limited number of properties will drive prices up, or at the very least prevent them from falling.

Price rises are also being driven by the the low cost of money at present: mortgage finance for people with good credit histories and sizeable deposits is extremely competitive and this is drawing more and more people to the market, which naturally drives prices higher.

Overall, we do not expect prices to rise much further over the course of the next year, although there will naturally be exceptions to the rule — we are more likely to see a hardening of prices at or around their current level.

The problem with city centre flats was over supply of a certain type of property (usually 2 bed flats). The turnabout in market conditions has hit these properties hard but again it’s more crystal ball gazing to know whether the price will lift eventually or not.

However as a property investment and coming from the mortgage point of view, the question will also be about whether it is producing a steady rental income and whether that income is enough to cover the running costs. If so then there is no need to try and make a snap judgment and it highlights how Buy to Let should always be regarded as a long term investment.

The sort of replies for the 'experts', presumably up to their nuts in properties:

Thanks.

Where did you find these? All I could find was a bunch of comments at the foot of the page, but no actual "live" "debate"?

Best.

B

Thanks.

Where did you find these? All I could find was a bunch of comments at the foot of the page, but no actual "live" "debate"?

Best.

B

Check comments with blue "C" next to them - they're the 'experts' replies. No idea what the 'C' stands for... <_<

Comments now closed.

What a farce that was.

A succession of questions basically asking whether now was a good time to buy or sell, refusing to answer other more testing questions.

All 'experts' bullish on prices going forward - shame on the Guardian for hosting such a biased 'surgery'.

Edited by red