House Price Crash Forum

Off Topic But Owen Going To Newcastle

HOLA441

Off topic I know - but BOY WONDER going to Newcastle before coming home to the reds has taught me that there is no justice in the world.

Not being able to buy a house is insignificant to this terrible, terrible news.

Lets hope he does a Stevie G and change his mind last minute..... If not Im gonna break his legs.

This is a SAD SAD DAY.

:unsure: /me cries buckets

HOLA442
HOLA443
Off topic I know - but BOY WONDER going to Newcastle before coming home to the reds has taught me that there is no justice in the world.

Not being able to buy a house is insignificant to this terrible, terrible news.

Lets hope he does a Stevie G and change his mind last minute..... If not Im gonna break his legs.

This is a SAD SAD DAY.

:unsure: /me cries buckets

Remember Owen chose to leave us in the first place. Although I do like Owen, he is a great player and a good example to kids, I didn't want Cisse to have to be sold, he has been honourable to the club and we should look after players like that.

Besides Owen only came back because he was worried about his World Cup place, I don't think he really cared about Liverpool that much - just that his £1m+ mansion is a 30min drive away from "work" and close to his family etc.

At least we will get to watch him play in the premiership now and those geordies needed something to make them believe again! ;-)

D

HOLA444
Guest The dude
Not THAT off-topic.

Another example of the farcical debt-culture we live in with Newcastle shelling out £16M for Owen.

What a waste of money. There was talk that Owen might come to Man U. I'd rather have Andy...sorry Andrew Cole back at Old Trafford. Why does Michael Owen look so miserable and serious all the time? Cheer up Michael...you are a millionaire aren't you?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
The bottom line is:

who scores more goals, Cisse or Owen. Time will tell.

Yeh i think Cisse is the way to go, he looks sharper and seems to suit our play more. I think Cisse will come good!

I also think Liverpool far to often rely on one man efforts. We need a midfield that can make and score goals, something all the top teams have. £8m can be better spent.

HOLA448

Exactly basically the little twit in delaying and delaying resigning a new contract cost Liverpool 10M+. Also he does get goals but the whole team have to change around him - Money better spent elsewhere. Quite please that his little spanish jaunt failed.

Anybody that goes to Newcastle is clearly finished - especially with Graeme Souness (Liverpool Legend) but shit manager.

Edited by since the beginning

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

He should not have left us, missed out on the Euro cup win, will never win it with Newcastle, probably will win nothing now, tough shit, little judas.

Cost us a lot of money demanding a move, i hope it teaches the rest of the english based players a lesson, your career is short, you should stay loyal to the guys who pay your wages, the fans. Rushy came back with his tail between his legs.

He (owen) showed no loyalty. could be playing in the old first division very soon under souness, what a terrible manager, probably our (liverpool) worst in the last 30 years. :lol::lol:

Cheer up michael, next you will be out the england squad playing up there in newcastle. :lol::lol:

He will be playing in a poor side when shearer retires, bet he has a clause in his contract, if he dont play every game, hes off back to madrid :lol::lol:

I am not bitter in any way B)

HOLA4412

Using the word "loyalty" in relation to what is probably a billion-pound industry is a bit funny when you think about it!

Never got behind a football team so the premiership dramas tend to bore me. The amounts of money now involved hack me off a lot, so I'll settle for playing with mates, jumpers for goalposts etc.

A lovely set of posts on here recently were arguing that the premiership is overvalued and due a fall? Would be good for the real afficionados, who IMO get ripped off left, right and centre back.

HOLA4413

In buying Owen, Newcastle have made a clauclated risk.

They have bought to equivalent of BTL in an inflated market and paid over the odds for him. Howvever, if Owen were a flat he would be a well-located flat in Kensington and therefore his value is well insulated.

They'll flip him in a year, after the world cup.

They'll get most of their money back and in the meantime have passified the fans.

HOLA4414

I think the whole episode is very embarassing for Owen and his value is ironically lower because of it. No one wanted him apart from the desparate Toon. Quite how he can turn out for them after he said he would only go on loan is astonishing.

Not sure what I would have done if I was Owen, because he was a decent player, wanted to play in Spain, was never really given a chance, and then was sort of forgotten.

Remember he was number 1 striker for a long time, now he can't get into a top 5 team? Football is as fickle as the housing market for 2 bed flats :unsure:

I agree that this shows that football is in for some torrid times.

p.s. Owen said the reason he moved was because next year is a World Cup year and he needs to be playing weekly. Strange then that he signed a 4 year contract. I guess he doesn't see a contract as permanent. :blink:

HOLA4415

Big mistake - Owen is past his sell-by date and he's only young. A one trick player - he's fast - but not as fast as he used to be and now a bit more injury prone. As he gets older he'll get slower and get more injuries - he already looks ordinary and quite easy to play out of a game.

Newcastle are nuts. They are wasting a lot of money on him. He'll never score more than a dozen goals in a season.

If Newcastle are paying £16m for him - Rooney was a bargain!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Newcastle are the equivalent of an emotionally invested couple who having hit hard times are desperetaely trying to keep up with the Jones' and impress their familes (fans) by splashing money they dont have.

They are gambling millions on the basis of HPI (european qualification) and we all know that is pretty doomed.

HOLA4418

I think the fact the Real Wanted £12 million and Liverpool made is quite clear that they WOULD NOT pay more than the £8million they sold him for shows that Newcastle has just overvalued a player. There is no doubt in my mind that that Owen is a great player.

Hand on heart as a true red - I think rooney is a more complete player. (god that hurt)!

Transfers (chelsea aside) have dwindled because they were overpricing players. A player of Owens quality would have got us £20-25 million two years ago, but today at HALF that price no one - except Liverpool (who actually had the clause in the contract that they got first refusal) wanted him.

Then Newcastle pay £4million MORE than the asking price when there was NO COMPETITION.

If the general public are Freddie Sheppards, and want to pay more than its worth for houses, then were all phucked!!!

It goes to show - theres always 1 arsehole that will pay over the odds. Luckily, they are getting few and far between

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Hand on heart as a true red - I think rooney is a more complete player. (god that hurt)!

I think there is no comparison. Owen used to be a good poacher. Rooney is the real deal. He is a player that must be surrounded by the best because his vision is usually 20 seconds ahead of his team-mates. Strong, hard, will-to-win, going forwards, back to goal, little passes dinked over people, amazing volleys - he really needs to be at Real Madrid - United are too pedestrian for him.

Plus, something you don't see too often, he scares defenders. When he gets the ball their heads start swivelling in all directions trying to work out what he might do with it.

He is the best player this country has seen since George Best - hope he doesn't go the same way.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
As sad as it is to hear this news, this topic should be in the OFF-TOPIC area.  Webmaster please move this thread.

Thanks

what a spoil sport got to be either a manc or a blues fan mister boom and bust :angry:

would never have got the attention in the off topic area

come on leave it be, it will gently drift into yesterdays news :D

HOLA4425
I think there is no comparison. Owen used to be a good poacher. Rooney is the real deal. He is a player that must be surrounded by the best because his vision is usually 20 seconds ahead of his team-mates. Strong, hard, will-to-win, going forwards, back to goal, little passes dinked over people, amazing volleys - he really needs to be at Real Madrid - United are too pedestrian for him.

Plus, something you don't see too often, he scares defenders. When he gets the ball their heads start swivelling in all directions trying to work out what he might do with it.

He is the best player this country has seen since George Best - hope he doesn't go the same way.

since George Best

What about

Cantonna

Dalglish

Barnes

Rosenthal

Edited by lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)