House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

Union 'outraged' At Head Teacher £200,000 Pay Package

80k basic

but teachers can routinely earn up to 50-60k for the "extra responsibilities" they invent.

Do a special needs training course (5 hours course including lunch, 6 chocolate hobnobs and a free folder) and you get an extra 5k a year

Be "head of year for dealing with children who can't tie their laces aged 12=" and you get an extra 15k

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10609273.stm

The GMB union has expressed outrage after it emerged the head teacher of a primary school in south London was paid more than the prime minister last year.

Yes, I saw this covered on the BBC breakfast show.

They interviewed an ex-primary school headmistress, she was more jealous then angry because when she retired she was only

earing £90k !!!!!

I was sat watching open mouthed - cornflakes and milk dribbling down my chin. Like this :o

Get set for a private v public showdown in the next few years.

Edited by Fishman

Ah, but these people deserve it. They are Professionals. They wear proper suits from Marks's, not old tweed jackets with elbow patches, and have slimline briefcases instead of shabby bulging leather ones with NUT stickers, and they have proper cars, not rusty bicycles or Citroen 2CVs. It all costs money you know! Do you want to go back to the bad old days of teachers in gowns who didn't tell the children anything about Rosa Parks or Mary Seacole, and who mentally abused them by making them do things like 'mental arithmetic'? Do you???? -

Is this the same school headmaster who a few years ago, turned his school into a business, by developing it into a gym, health club and apartments (..err with some schooling attached) ? :lol:

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

I must admit I'm going back a few years (bloody hell, time flies, it was when my eldest was at primary school, so about 12 years ago) - my wife did a stint as secretary to the governors.

A small primary school - only about 120 pupils - the head was paid 32k at the time.

Ah, but these people deserve it. They are Professionals. They wear proper suits from Marks's, not old tweed jackets with elbow patches, and have slimline briefcases instead of shabby bulging leather ones with NUT stickers, and they have proper cars, not rusty bicycles or Citroen 2CVs. It all costs money you know!

Clearly he's riding a bicycle.

No teacher is worth that amount of my hard earned tax.

I wouldn't want to be a teacher, let alone a head teacher - but £200,000 is way over the top for any teacher or indeed any public sector employee. Indeed it's too high for anyone in the service sector, whether public or private - including banks.

Edited by blankster

No, no - read the article properly. He got an £83k basic, and the other money was some for other work for disadvantaged kids - some of which was owed from the previous year.

I wouldn't want his job.

Yet more Daily Mail ranting and forcing people how to think. It's not called the Daily Nazi for no reason. I personally hold *that* newspaper responsible for getting us into a lot of this mess: so much negativity, NIMBYism, forcing people to think of their home as an asset... the list goes on.

Don't believe what you read in the Mail. It'll probably not be true.

blink.gifohmy.gifsad.gif

Even the teacher on 90K mentioned above.... this is like some sort of parallel universe..... Bankers and similar parallel universes apart, you have to practically sell your soul and firstborn (not that you'd have time for them anyhow) to your employer to earn that sort of sum in the private sector. And be at the absolute peak of the pile of dead bodies you'd made below you.

This has to end.

blink.gifohmy.gifsad.gif

Even the teacher on 90K mentioned above.... this is like some sort of parallel universe..... Bankers and similar parallel universes apart, you have to practically sell your soul and firstborn (not that you'd have time for them anyhow) to your employer to earn that sort of sum in the private sector. And be at the absolute peak of the pile of dead bodies you'd made below you.

This has to end.

We've all the pension liabilities as well in coming years.

Retiring between 55-60 and living until 90 !!

http://news.bbc.co.u...uk/10609273.stm

The GMB union has expressed outrage after it emerged the head teacher of a primary school in south London was paid more than the prime minister last year.

Perhaps they should be outraged at some union bosses earning more than the pm?

http://www.taxpayers...ionRichList.pdf

Union of Democratic Mineworkers - Mick Stevens - £173,820

Edited by AteMoose

Sorry but money is tight now. I honestly can only afford to pay the head of a primary school a maximum of £35k . If parents and govenors want to pay more than this for someone above average then they will have to pay it out of their own pockets.

The Tory slogan in 1997 was correct...

"New Labour, New Danger".

Yes, and Labour's 1997 campaign song should have read

"Things can only get bitter"

:rolleyes:

No, no - read the article properly. He got an £83k basic, and the other money was some for other work for disadvantaged kids - some of which was owed from the previous year.

I wouldn't want his job.

Yet more Daily Mail ranting and forcing people how to think. It's not called the Daily Nazi for no reason. I personally hold *that* newspaper responsible for getting us into a lot of this mess: so much negativity, NIMBYism, forcing people to think of their home as an asset... the list goes on.

Don't believe what you read in the Mail. It'll probably not be true.

+1

This has to end.

But if the Tories try and rebalance the public finances to prevent lunacies like this, then the Libs will throw their toys out of the pram and potentially bring down the govt. This sort of thing will be a real test of whether Cameron and co are really up to the job.

Sorry but money is tight now. I honestly can only afford to pay the head of a primary school a maximum of £35k . If parents and govenors want to pay more than this for someone above average then they will have to pay it out of their own pockets.

I detect a riot!

blink.gifohmy.gifsad.gif

This has to end.

nicely put