House Price Crash Forum

Has The Great Bbc Oil Tanker Started To Turn Away From Labour?

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
Guest KingCharles1st

Are we at last starting to see realistic reporting coming through, after years of Labour's fantasy land mouthpiece showcase?

Let's look at today's news-

Story on immigration and how many non nationals are seeking a home in the UK

OUTRAGE at a waaay overpaid schoolteacher- many overpaid BBC loveys must have shuddered at the ramifications of this one.

LIAR LOANS

But all presented with a different impetus- like some of this stuff is actually BAD!

HOLA442
Guest sillybear2

It won't last, that's just a random cluster of stories overlooked by the editors, the Beeb is a creature of lefty statism, as such that's its default view on any issue. Nearly everyone is aware of this, even the rabid "BBC good, SkyNews bad" gang, those who are too dim to pick up on this are instead indoctrinated by EastEnders.

Also, everything is relative and that can be used to justify any dodgy goings on, e.g. "£200k is an outrageous salary, BUT those a$$hole bankers at Bankrupt & Bailout Banking Group are paid more for nothing of any social utility". Hence blowing the school budget on a single salary and pension becomes totally justified.

HOLA443

John Humphreys gave Ed Balls a bit of a thrashing on R4 this morning over the country's debt under Labour. Didn't hear all of it but at the end, rumour has it Ed Balls muttered "that was a waste of time" and it was picked up by the mics. I do hope so. :D

HOLA444

John Humphreys gave Ed Balls a bit of a thrashing on R4 this morning over the country's debt under Labour. Didn't hear all of it but at the end, rumour has it Ed Balls muttered "that was a waste of time" and it was picked up by the mics. I do hope so. :D

Bet these former Labour ministers wish they could go into hiding like Brown. Sadly the memoirs market is a little overcrowded with Mandelson pipping Blair to market. All Milliband/Balls will be doing for the next 10 years is defending their dreadful escalation of public (and private) debt and Balls isn't even a good public speaker so no big fee's for him, on the conference/after dinner circuit!

HOLA445

It won't last, that's just a random cluster of stories overlooked by the editors, the Beeb is a creature of lefty statism, as such that's its default view on any issue. Nearly everyone is aware of this, even the rabid "BBC good, SkyNews bad" gang, those who are too dim to pick up on this are instead indoctrinated by EastEnders.

Also, everything is relative and that can be used to justify any dodgy goings on, e.g. "£200k is an outrageous salary, BUT those a$hole bankers at Bankrupt & Bailout Banking Group are paid more for nothing of any social utility". Hence blowing the school budget on a single salary and pension becomes totally justified.

Everything you say is correct, except the lefty bit. It's just the government of the day's creature. Nothing else.

HOLA446

Everything you say is correct, except the lefty bit. It's just the government of the day's creature. Nothing else.

Horseshit. The BBC is full of people with connections to the Labour party. They were relentless in their opposition to everything the Tories did from 79-97 and gave Labour the easiest ride imagainable despite them almost destoying the country.

HOLA447

Horseshit. The BBC is full of people with connections to the Labour party. They were relentless in their opposition to everything the Tories did from 79-97 and gave Labour the easiest ride imagainable despite them almost destoying the country.

Hear hear. I've never seen any proper criticism from the BBC of the Labour government. And even when the horrendous corruption stories break out, the hard questions are not asked and only 'the right people' are interviewed.

HOLA448

Horseshit. The BBC is full of people with connections to the Labour party.

Correct. I thought everyone knew that.

Examples

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411846/We-biased-admit-stars-BBC-News.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23400983-bbc-accused-of-institutional-trendy-left-wing-bias.do

"Two years ago, a report found that it was out of touch with large swathes of the public, and that subjects such as Euroscepticism and immigration were 'off limits in terms of a liberal-minded comfort zone'."

HOLA449

Although the BBC might have had its own style of political correctness and an inbuilt leftist tendency, I haven't detected any general bias of the BBC towards Labour for a long time - not since the days of Tony Blair's honeymoon period, with Cool Britannia and all that. I don't think new Labour had been left-wing for a long time, just incompetent. I'd describe the the Brown era as right-wing but slap-dash with public money.

HOLA4410

I can remember back in the 80s when I was at uni, many of my left wing friends and acquaintances (support the miners and all unions, hate 'Thatch', etc.) that were doing (frankly quite easy) arts and humanities degrees used to scour the Guardian media section for beeb jobs. Getting a job there would be on the top 3 list of most of them. Many of the ones that made it would be middle management by now.

Wasn't there a stat trotted out a few years back that 60-70% of the BBCs job ads were placed in the Guardian media section; the implication being that Guardianistas formed a disproportionate proportion of their staff, and set the corporate culture.

HOLA4411

Although the BBC might have had its own style of political correctness and an inbuilt leftist tendency, I haven't detected any general bias of the BBC towards Labour for a long time - not since the days of Tony Blair's honeymoon period, with Cool Britannia and all that. I don't think new Labour had been left-wing for a long time, just incompetent.

You must have been watching ITV. New Labour and BBC "values" are the same.

HOLA4412

I can remember back in the 80s when I was at uni, many of my left wing friends and acquaintances (support the miners and all unions, hate 'Thatch', etc.) that were doing (frankly quite easy) arts and humanities degrees used to scour the Guardian media section for beeb jobs. Getting a job there would be on the top 3 list of most of them. Many of the ones that made it would be middle management by now.

Wasn't there a stat trotted out a few years back that 60-70% of the BBCs job ads were placed in the Guardian media section; the implication being that Guardianistas formed a disproportionate proportion of their staff, and set the corporate culture.

Probably because creative and interesting people tend to be left wing.

Penny pinching accountants, bankers and angry, lonely IT professionals tend not to make good TV ;)

HOLA4413

Penny pinching accountants, bankers and angry, lonely IT professionals tend not to make good TV ;)

Really? Creatives are the type of tw*ts that queue up to buy iPhones.

HOLA4414

genuinely creative and interesting people consider the people you are referring to to be self-promoting loudmouthed tw*ts with little grasp on reality and even less grasp on what constitutes creativity, and they duly avoid them.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The BBC's general editorial outlook is leftie by default, but occasionally backs off criticising the right if it fears that a right-of-centre government is showing any signs of actually doing something about the BBC. As the now defunct Thames TV discovered with Death on the Rock, every now and again a regulated broadcaster can go too far, resulting in the government exacting revenge. Cameron has probably told the BBC in no uncertain terms that if, for example, he was to announce a five-year freeze in the licence fee, it would be a very popular move politically and would mean that senior BBC luvvies would have to take a significant haircut on their salaries. Therefore, he might have continued, if you've got any sense, tone down the leftie propaganda or else.

HOLA4421

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the output of the 'creatives' at the BBC - it's very mediocre considering it has the biggest budget of any world broadcaster.

I've looked at our DVD collection, and tried to recall which TV shows we watch to unwind, and it owes a lot more to HBO and C4 than the BBC. For example: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Simpsons, Family Guy, House, Dexter, Band of Brothers, Peep Show, IT Crowd, Discovery Channel docs, etc.

Poor value for the £3.5 billion in compulsory taxes that the Beeb extort from the UK's population. I reckon I'd miss Dr Who, Mitchell and Webb, a handful of documentaries, and not much else.

HOLA4422

Poor value for the £3.5 billion in compulsory taxes that the Beeb extort from the UK's population. I reckon I'd miss Dr Who, Mitchell and Webb, a handful of documentaries, and not much else.

All of those shows are commercially viable in their own right. They make back their production costs and more through overseas broadcast licensing, home video and footage licensing deals. If the BBC were privatised tomorrow, these programmes would continue to be made.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I'd like to be the first to formally welcome this thread to Off Topic. Please feel free to add any fatist remarks and slag off any fat BBC presenters. Declan Murray springs to mind!

I hate that fat humpty dumpty. I'm sure he's into BTL as he grins ear to ear whenever he announces house price rises. Such a crap dumbed down programme. Both of them are economically illiterate and she's ugly too with jug ears (and fat!).

Archived