House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

White Heat Of Technology Versus Keeping The Chavs In Plasma Tvs

Just watching the programme about the development of Concorde on Channel 4 -"The Last Flight of Concorde"

Whilst it is somewhat nostalgic and perhaps Concordes economics may not have quite worked today, it does somewhat inspire me about the capabilities of British and French Engineering (in the past).

Tony Benn is quoted as saying the cost escalated massively, and overall the project which was initially costed at £150m ran to over £1bn.

However, I would argue this was a great investment when compared with benefit of 13 years of Gordon Brown which basically achieved nothing more than giving plasma TVs to Chavs.

<edited typo of economics>

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Just watching the programme about the development of Concorde on Channel 4 -"The Last Flight of Concorde"

Whilst it is somewhat nostalgic and perhaps concordes economonics may not have quite worked today, it does somewhat inspire me about the capabilities of British and French Engineering (in the past).

Tony Benn is quoted as saying the cost escalated massively, and overall the project which was initially costed at £150m ran to over £1bn.

However, I would argue this was a great investment when compared with benefit of 13 years of Gordon Brown which basically achieved nothing more than giving plasma TVs to Chavs.

People were probably watching the World cup yesterday but there was an amazing programme about QinetiQ on BBC2. Now the whole thing was a huge advert for them, but I was seriously impressed with their employee's and their technical skills from rebuilding helicopters to preparing robots for use in Afghanistan. I was actually amazed at the technical complexity of a modern military helicopter. And a few weeks ago the BBC went into detail about the building and testing of jet engines at Rolls Royce. I'm amazed we still do this in Britain. Something to be proud of methinks. If you get the chance grab these programmes on iPlayer. Fantastic!

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

Yes we can still design and develop some high tech stuff in this country (mechanical as well as electronic)A walk around Duxford or Yeovilton is enough to make my blood boil as look at what we have achieved in the past and I consider the flight of engineering and manufacturing from these shores. Blue Streak, TSR2, APT chunter chunter...

Guest sillybear2

The UK is good at engineering when we need (or want) to be, the Germans think we're daft to willfully abandon this for an economy "based around cutting each others' hair". The City hates industry, to them a truckload of imported plasma screens is no different from a jet engine, it's all just paper to them, in Germany they have industrial banks and state governments that have stakes in industry, they're interested in longterm strategic planning, not slicing and dicing up some CDO's by the next quarter or betting on the price of Mars Bars.

I've flown on Concorde. Fantastic in flight experience, although quite bumpy on the ground. The trolley dollies were never lookers though. Always sturdy types. That's probably the only drawback, that and all the yanks.

I've flown on Concorde. Fantastic in flight experience, although quite bumpy on the ground. The trolley dollies were never lookers though. Always sturdy types. That's probably the only drawback, that and all the yanks.

OMG - I'd always thought you were about 20! How old were you?

Awesome plane

Awesome times

Will never happen again until ater the war.

Guest Noodle

Business and 1st you never get the lookers, it's like Grandma serving tea. Dollies are mass produced for cattle class, keeps the chavs distracted from their 38,000 ft predicament.

OMG - I'd always thought you were about 20! How old were you?

Awesome plane

Awesome times

Will never happen again until ater the war.

I'm young at heart, but thanks for the compliment.

Last time was in 2000 when I was 31.

Business and 1st you never get the lookers, it's like Grandma serving tea. Dollies are mass produced for cattle class, keeps the chavs distracted from their 38,000 ft predicament.

I'd never considered that. They don't know how lucky they are. I think Caribbean Beauty summed them up best - Witches of Windsor.

Guest Noodle

I'd never considered that. They don't know how lucky they are. I think Caribbean Beauty summed them up best - Witches of Windsor.

I flew BA once . . .

This is because BASSA make sure all the plum jobs go to the union activists.

Once during a period of industrial dispute I was flying First overnight and the bitch in First was banging pots in the galley all night long until I gave her a mouthful. Typical Union activity that they do not understand people will not book again if they do that shit.

Edited by ralphmalph

Guest Noodle

This is because BASSA make sure all the plum jobs go to the union activists.

Once during a period of industrial dispute I was flying First overnight and the bitch in First was banging pots in the galley all night long until I gave her a mouthful. Typical Union activity that they do not understand people will not book again if they do that shit.

Well if it had been me, she'd be out the door!

People were probably watching the World cup yesterday but there was an amazing programme about QinetiQ on BBC2. Now the whole thing was a huge advert for them, but I was seriously impressed with their employee's and their technical skills from rebuilding helicopters to preparing robots for use in Afghanistan. I was actually amazed at the technical complexity of a modern military helicopter. And a few weeks ago the BBC went into detail about the building and testing of jet engines at Rolls Royce. I'm amazed we still do this in Britain. Something to be proud of methinks. If you get the chance grab these programmes on iPlayer. Fantastic!

Being able to design bombs which explode efficiently into the upper two steradians only to maximise casualties whilst minimising death is surely something of which to be proud.

The UK is good at engineering when we need (or want) to be, the Germans think we're daft to willfully abandon this for an economy "based around cutting each others' hair". The City hates industry, to them a truckload of imported plasma screens is no different from a jet engine, it's all just paper to them, in Germany they have industrial banks and state governments that have stakes in industry, they're interested in longterm strategic planning, not slicing and dicing up some CDO's by the next quarter or betting on the price of Mars Bars.

You know its not just Germany, everywhere I have travelled I always see banks, they are not banks as we know of in the UK but they are called development banks and they have a big charter that they are loaning money to industry not ponzi schemes. I saw them in every country outside Europe including China,Korea and Japan.

I'm young at heart, but thanks for the compliment.

Last time was in 2000 when I was 31.

I'm envious.

I wasn't sufficiently rich enough in 2000 to afford that,having only been out of university 3 years (perhaps I should have taken out a liar loan).

If they brought Concorde back today I'd sign up immediately.

My in-laws have been on it - lucky sods.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Guest sillybear2

Being able to design bombs which explode efficiently into the upper two steradians only to maximise casualties whilst minimising death is surely something of which to be proud.

Well, being able to efficiently destroy things is second only to making things in the first place.

All this means nothing though, as all of the engineers are gone or outsourced and there is nobody to replace them.

I know of three engineers,

One works in nuclear power, had to go to France to get an internship and seeks to move to work for the foreign arm of French nuclear power that looks after Asian reactors.

One is an electric engineer, he says he is doing MEng as the standard Engineering degree from UK Leeds university or was it sheffield, is not respected around the world ANYWHERE bar 3rd world countries.

Also know of a civil engineer who just got made redundant...

Well, being able to efficiently destroy things is second only to making things in the first place.

Explain the Mongols then? They just raped and pillaged raped and pillaged exceptionally effectively and destroyed the Chinese empire which were at the time the biggest and best nation on earth with huge capital ships and pinnacle ship masonry and explosive technology.

Er - isn't that good?

Most people who are any good do 4-year MEng courses these days

I have a PhD in physics, but it was closer to RF engineering in practice - and that's what i do mostly for work. I've never felt much in demand :)

That was a good documentary by C4 and surprisingly emotional with Terence Conran bursting into tears. I think he's right. 1960's optimism died. When I was a kid in the 1960's I'd thought by 2010 we would whizzing around in flying saucers by now, and have holidays in the moon. With man spaced flight and voyagers to Mars under threat, the future either isn't going to happen, or postponed indefinitely, or isn't going to work out the way we dreamed. It was interesting to note that Concorde was a "spring chicken" in airframe terms compared with a 747, but proved a commercial dead end with little demand for supersonic transportation.

Guest sillybear2

Explain the Mongols then? They just raped and pillaged raped and pillaged exceptionally effectively and destroyed the Chinese empire which were at the time the biggest and best nation on earth with huge capital ships and pinnacle ship masonry and explosive technology.

The Chinese should have built themselves some of these.

I'm envious.

I wasn't sufficiently rich enough in 2000 to afford that,having only been out of university 3 years (perhaps I should have taken out a liar loan).

If they brought Concorde back today I'd sign up immediately.

My in-laws have been on it - lucky sods.

Isn't Branson working on a craft that almost goes into orbit? Far more exciting things coming our way.

The Chinese should have built themselves some of these.

Nah that's what surface to air missiles are for again it is playing asymetric warfare, if the enemy has nicer planes you spoil the fun by building advanced SAM systems, like the Russians have with the S-300 systems which they exported to China, Iran and Turkey. The F22 claims to be capable of defeating such a system, but the S300 is $91 for a battery an F22 is $150m + 65bn development costs.