House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
justanewbie

Debt Awareness

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13424780,00.html

"This is a real achievement," said Mr Gordon Brown when interviewed

by John Humphreys regarding the Prudential's report on Debt Awareness.

Out of 1,000 surveyed, only 2% were able to add 2 and 2; only 3%

knew what the word "debt" meant and over 99% thought that "borrowing"

meant that the money belonged to them and did not need to be paid back.

"It has taken over seven years of New Labour administration to get here,"

enthused Mr Brown, "requiring the combined skills of Education, The Benefits

System, the dept of Work and Pensions and the entire 5,000 strong team

at 10 Downing Street."

"Now we can really get to grips with the economy," he added.

Almost one-in-six people aged between 18 and 24 thought an Isa was an iPod accessory.

Others believed it was an energy drink.

Hilarious, you'd have thought the iPod generation would know about what was and what wasn't and iPod accessory.

As for energy drink - wait till the new pension arrangements - one Sipp and its gone. :lol:

Almost one-in-six people aged between 18 and 24 thought an Isa was an iPod accessory.

Hilarious, you'd have thought the iPod generation would know about what was and what wasn't and iPod accessory.

As for energy drink - wait till the new pension arrangements - one Sipp and its gone. :lol:

When you hear this sort of rubbish you really do wonder how the question was phrased.

I would hazard a guess that it was not an open question, like:

"What is an ISA? _________________"

It was probably more like:

"What is an ISA?

1 A magnifying glass accessory for the iPod, allowing your grandmother to see the text better.

2 An energy drink.

3 A tax-efficient investment product.

4 An old name for women that nobody uses anymore."

They are almost certainly going to give you multiple choice as these allow easier processing of the answers and also allow answers to be 'suggested' so as to get the result you want. They also make good headlines when the people, who think it's a great laugh, choose stupid answers "cos it sounds pure funny, by the way".

If they took the first approach then the headline of "Q: What is an ISA? A: Dunno." would not have been quite as entertaining.

It's all complete rubbish.

I hate surveys. When given multiple choice I ALWAYS choose "other" so as to give them the least value possible from their data. That's if I even answer their survey at all.

Hilarious, you'd have thought the iPod generation

I thought it meant an entire generation under 30 will live in 'accommodation' (we don't have 'housing' anymore) that resembles the size and longevity of an iPod.

Guest pioneer31

I went to the bank today and asked if I could open an Isotonic Savings Account and the woman just laughed at me

:P

Pioneer31,

Should have asked for a 7UP - you'd have been taken seriously then. You want a mortgage for £140k and earn £20K and the sales staff ask whehter you can't add on your investment income and weekend earnings and your next three pay rises and next year's promotion nudge nudge, wink wink and viola a a 5X mortgage.

I think this is quite valid in this thread:

Too many of us wander the modern world in a daze of vague incomprehension. It makes us vacuously accepting of lies and half-truths, and parlously slow to demand explanations when we find we have swallowed a fib.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1056-1755842,00.html

This could easily be a description of the way the vast bulk of the populus view anything financial don't you think? Maybe this lack of a general understanding is what has got us to the point where people think it's ok to borrow vast sums to buy crappy, poorly built sh1tholes.

I think this is quite valid in this thread:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1056-1755842,00.html

This could easily be a description of the way the vast bulk of the populus view anything financial don't you think? Maybe this lack of a general understanding is what has got us to the point where people think it's ok to borrow vast sums to buy crappy, poorly built sh1tholes.

Ha and at the same time i produced this on a differnt thread.

It's what makes people the pathetic beings that they are, they really can't handle the truth when its put to them.

It will always be this way, people think they read between the lines, which to an extent some do, they just seem to overlook that the lines are misguided in the first place.

People en-mass are stupid. They can carry on their pathetic little lives oblivious to their surroundings, have kids, then die.

Each to their own but i flatly refuse to be one of them.

Edited by theChuz