House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonkers

Becoming Freelance And Self Employed

Well, I signed on this morning and let them know I would soon be freelance and self employed, got blank stares and no information at all, they were more interested in pursuing me to go to the back to work interview which I have refused to do, I am too busy getting work to attend a small class in writing a CV.

Anyone done this straight off JSA? I have only claimed for 3 months and should be signing off in two weeks (thankfully).

Do I get any support while I get started and learn the ropes to earn my commission?

Can I get round paying class 2 NI contributions while self employed and pay class 1 as class 2 seems to leave you in a bit of a jam eventually. So I set up a company and employ myself?

I have googled but the information is all at odds it seems.

Guest X-QUORK

The moment you start working you'll have your JSA stopped I think. Part of your start-up costs must include any income you need to survive until your first payday.

Well, I signed on this morning and let them know I would soon be freelance and self employed, got blank stares and no information at all, they were more interested in pursuing me to go to the back to work interview which I have refused to do, I am too busy getting work to attend a small class in writing a CV.

Anyone done this straight off JSA? I have only claimed for 3 months and should be signing off in two weeks (thankfully).

Do I get any support while I get started and learn the ropes to earn my commission?

Can I get round paying class 2 NI contributions while self employed and pay class 1 as class 2 seems to leave you in a bit of a jam eventually. So I set up a company and employ myself?

I have googled but the information is all at odds it seems.

What's your new line of business? How confident are you in making it pay as much as you're losing in benefits (or at least, not so far short of it you go seriously hungry)?

As soon as you stop claiming, they have no more interest in your time (like, for instance, sending you to "back to work" interviews). But if your business fails to pay, signing on again might not be possible (as happened to me in 2002/3, when I hit real poverty).

Governments do not care about bridging the gap between being on benefits and going self-employed. Same from a tax perspective although there are some breaks.

How is this money coming in? I would only tell them shortly before you get your first payment.

You can get a small earning exemption for class 2 NIC, very straightforward:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073790854&type=RESOURCES

Class 1 you don't pay if you're not employed.

I think there are class 4 too but you won't be paying them, need to be earning much more.

What's your new line of business? How confident are you in making it pay as much as you're losing in benefits (or at least, not so far short of it you go seriously hungry)?

As soon as you stop claiming, they have no more interest in your time (like, for instance, sending you to "back to work" interviews). But if your business fails to pay, signing on again might not be possible (as happened to me in 2002/3, when I hit real poverty).

Booking out technicians for a single client for which I get a percentage, I expect to cover what I get in benefits from the off (head just above water). There is a bonus in that my expenses will now be a cost of the business. I am worried about the treatment of the self employed once they can't make it pay anymore and need assistance, they seem to get shafted.

Booking out technicians for a single client for which I get a percentage, I expect to cover what I get in benefits from the off (head just above water). There is a bonus in that my expenses will now be a cost of the business. I am worried about the treatment of the self employed once they can't make it pay anymore and need assistance, they seem to get shafted.

They do, keep shtum about anything unless asked a direct question you can't answer without lying is the usual MO.

Booking out technicians for a single client for which I get a percentage,

I hope that's not how it's officially defined, or you're going to hit IR35 and the client will be expected to pay employer's NI etc.

there is definitely some way of getting some sort of benefit while setting up thats based on NI paid last year. Look into it. Cant remember name at the minute. Something to do with working 30 hrs per week and earning less than ?

there is definitely some way of getting some sort of benefit while setting up thats based on NI paid last year. Look into it. Cant remember name at the minute. Something to do with working 30 hrs per week and earning less than ?

Maybe you are thinking of the Enterprise Allowance Scheme.I think they paid you benefit level money for 26 weeks.I went self employed in April 1977.Best day's work I ever did.

I hope that's not how it's officially defined, or you're going to hit IR35 and the client will be expected to pay employer's NI etc.

FFS IR35 has been around for a decade and people STILL can't get the basics right.

Under IR35 YOU pay the Employers' NI, not your 'deemed employer'. That's part of the reason why it's an utter crock.