House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTBagain

Wikipedia - Just How Do They Make Their Money?

There are obvious ways to make money on the Internet, advertising, sponsered links or even sell things!!! Wikipedia as far as I can see have none of these. So how do they make enough money to pay for their 47 staff (according to some reporter I overheard talking about the Internet award thingy that was on last week)? They are not the only website that seems to exist by will power alone...

Any insights to this, one of modern life's great mysteries, gratefully received :)

They ask for donations. I've never given them anything though, and I've never heard anyone else say they have either. Could it be a money laundering front?

There are obvious ways to make money on the Internet, advertising, sponsered links or even sell things!!! Wikipedia as far as I can see have none of these. So how do they make enough money to pay for their 47 staff (according to some reporter I overheard talking about the Internet award thingy that was on last week)? They are not the only website that seems to exist by will power alone...

Any insights to this, one of modern life's great mysteries, gratefully received :)

Wikipedia is run by The Wikimedia Foundation, a not for profit. It doesn't make or is designed to make a profit, but it needs to raise money,

Primarily to buy new servers and keep the site running. Wikimedia relies mostly on public donations, made at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fund…

Guest sillybear2

Via donations, they did a big $6m fund raising drive recently, I think there's also a foundation. Google also give them money and server space.

Ah, I have seen their appeals but didn't read them properly DOH! So how about sites like Martin Lewis' Money Experts? Do they also run on charitable status or are they funded out of the 'owners' pocket?

Via donations, they did a big $6m fund raising drive recently, I think there's also a foundation. Google also give them money and server space.

Hmm! Nice gig if you can get it. Now I wonder...

Ah, I have seen their appeals but didn't read them properly DOH! So how about sites like Martin Lewis' Money Experts? Do they also run on charitable status or are they funded out of the 'owners' pocket?

MSE used to be funded by Martin Lewis as a way to advance his brand awareness for the media and his book , although recently I've noticed that they have mentioned sites that support them - so I suspect they are now a reasonably large affiliate site.

They ask for donations. I've never given them anything though, and I've never heard anyone else say they have either. Could it be a money laundering front?

Erm, all charities rely on donantions, and they aren't money laundering fronts!!

Guest sillybear2

Erm, all charities rely on donantions, and they aren't money laundering fronts!!

I dunno, NuLabour had a few like that, bull$hit charitable think tanks feeding off the teet of government.

Edited by sillybear2