House Price Crash Forum
Charlie The Tramp Returns

Would You Pay £2 Million For This House

Clicky

The family's new home is believed to be one of the most expensive houses ever paid for by housing benefit, which is administered by local councils but funded by the Department for Work and Pensions.
an unemployed bus conductor

Not many of those jobs around. :rolleyes:

article-1293730-0A61B224000005DC-596_468x546.jpg

post-21139-12788751305159_thumb.jpg

Clicky

Not many of those jobs around. :rolleyes:

article-1293730-0A61B224000005DC-596_468x546.jpg

A keyworker..or not...an unemployed keyworker....sounds fair to me. Im more surprised he hasnt qualified for a homebuy.

I hate agreeing with a DM rant, but in this case I have to! THey arrived with several kids in 1999, and then proceeded to have 3 m0ore, knowing that we idiots would pay for thei larger house. Compare this with a UK taxpayer in London, deciding that they cant afford to have any / more than 1 / more than 2 kids because they can't afford it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THese lazy scrounging waankkers should be stuck in a 3 bed in the arrse end of the easst end, and be grateful for that much assistance. Otherwise they should fuuck off back to Africa!

It makes me sick. :angry:

I hate agreeing with a DM rant, but in this case I have to! THey arrived with several kids in 1999, and then proceeded to have 3 m0ore, knowing that we idiots would pay for thei larger house. Compare this with a UK taxpayer in London, deciding that they cant afford to have any / more than 1 / more than 2 kids because they can't afford it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THese lazy scrounging waankkers should be stuck in a 3 bed in the arrse end of the easst end, and be grateful for that much assistance. Otherwise they should fuuck off back to Africa!

good old daily mail.

i can't see the harm in moving people around to the cheapest area if they are not working. and i mean everyone not just 'former asylum seekers'.

eg there's that block of flats in Glasgow where folk keep jumping out the windows, there must be vacancies there.

Property sources say the house was being advertised locally at a cost of £1,050 per week.

Note this part - let's please get angry with the private company registered in Lichtenstein happily taking twice the market rent as well.

As reported in another thread. Woman from Westminster council saying their hands are tied with this, the "rent service" or whatever it is called has set the rates and they are obliged to pay the demanded rentals. She said the government changes couldn't come soon enough for them.

Note this part - let's please get angry with the private company registered in Lichtenstein happily taking twice the market rent as well.

He said he found the new house through a friend who knew the landlord, arranged to rent it through an estate agent, then approached officials at Kensington and Chelsea council who said 'it would be no problem' to move.

Something really stinks here. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a DM rant, but everything tells me that this is just plain wrong.

We are total and utter mugs in this country.

It does seem that way. Is there anywhere else in the world where this could happen I wonder?

Edited by tbatst2000

Even on the TV this morning, old Red Ken Livingstone said they should be targetting the LLs who charge such high rents and get away with it. Cap the rents and you wouldn't need to cap the benefits. (?)

Even on the TV this morning, old Red Ken Livingstone said they should be targetting the LLs who charge such high rents and get away with it. Cap the rents and you wouldn't need to cap the benefits. (?)

Surely this is what Red Ken has always wanted? From each according to his ability, to each according to his need after all. It hardly matters whether you do it by capping rents or by paying the rents on people's behalves, the result is pretty much the same.

We are total and utter mugs in this country.

What I find more wrong was the review of the Frontpages on the BBC news last night where they seemed to suggest the only problem here was the DM reporting the story 'its not the fault of the asylum seekers' etc. etc.

There is something fundamentally wrong when we are in a situation were familes with jobs are marginalised and forced to pay for those without to live in standards those with jobs can only aspire to. The Guardian readers in this country really need to open their eyes (or have them opened for them) to see what is going on in the UK.

The DM is reactionary garbage but until those in power start to listen then they are at risk of driving people to extremist parties.

'its not the fault of the asylum seekers' etc. etc.

There's two parts to the fault bit I think. It isn't the fault of the asylum seeker for needing to find asylum that's for sure but I've got to think there's some fault with someone who games the system in this way. Just as people object to, for example, non-doms avoiding UK taxes on moral rather than legal grounds, I think it's entirely reasonable to expect that people do their best to minimise the burden they place on the state regardless of whether they're breaking the law or not.

Edited by tbatst2000

The DM gets some stick on this Forum but as Mrs CCT says at least they report all this abuse which is going on and occasionally we see similar stories in The Sun and Telegraph.

Two newspapers are bought in our house The Mail and Telegraph and to think 30 years ago I was right of centre of the old Labour Party calling myself a Social Democrat and reading the Daily Mirror, but the gang of four hijacked my political wing and I then became neutral although I had already said goodbye when Michael foot became Labour Leader.

In these PT times it might be best to study and especially take observations of the following London Boroughs, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Barking & Dagenham.

With the new Coalition Government the whistle blowing will be deafening. ;)

Of course it makes you sick, you're clearly racist. You go hang out in a civil war in Somalia and then come back and tell us how lovely it is.

The family hasn't done anything wrong. The article is the usual daily mail appeal to the racist, england flag in the car window chav types.

That aside, the problem here comes back to high house prices and high rents.

My favourite bit in the article was the shocked comments from the next door neighbours about how much the family is receiving in benefits.

Nevermind that neighbours are probably people who were heavily bailed out last year, got their huge bonuses, and are probably paying chump change on their mortgages on their first, second, third and fourth homes courtesy of 0.5% base rates.

What is the solution to it all?

The family hasn't done anything wrong.

He said he found the new house through a friend who knew the landlord,

Nothing clicks here for you.

You`re joking aren`t you, read the whole thread and the article and stop reading your pinky newspaper The Guardian it is clouding your brain. :rolleyes:

The family hasn't done anything wrong.

Yes they have, they've shown a lack of any understanding that they are part of a society and have a moral, if not legal, obligation to take only what they actually need in benefits. That some of their neighbours may or may not also have been unfarily helped by the state is irrelevant.

I'm so pleased I pay taxes to help the less well off.

I take it they will be re-housed once the rate of housing benefit is reduced to the £400 PW ceiling?

Even at 400 nicker, it is more than I pay for my place. And 7 kids? I'll stop....

It's fairly obvious that the tenant and the LL are colluding to commit benefit fraud.

The property is worth about £1000pcm. The tenant and LL sign a contract saying the rent is £2000pcm, claim the full amount from the taxpayer and split the difference.

Edited by Timm

I watched this rubbish and couldnt understand why they wanted to cap rents - a private agreement. People can charge wtf they want.

Cap what we will pay instead. What am i missing?

Of course it makes you sick, you're clearly racist. You go hang out in a civil war in Somalia and then come back and tell us how lovely it is.

The family hasn't done anything wrong. The article is the usual daily mail appeal to the racist, england flag in the car window chav types.

That aside, the problem here comes back to high house prices and high rents.

My favourite bit in the article was the shocked comments from the next door neighbours about how much the family is receiving in benefits.

Nevermind that neighbours are probably people who were heavily bailed out last year, got their huge bonuses, and are probably paying chump change on their mortgages on their first, second, third and fourth homes courtesy of 0.5% base rates.

What is the solution to it all?

You need to have a more balanced view of things mate. Yes, we should be a compassionate nation willing to help those in genuine need, but we shouldn't be showering them in luxuries when the avarage taxpayer is all but broke.

This article so enraged me I had to write to my MP writetothem ...here is my letter, which becomes a wider rant at the arrsse raping of the UK taxpayer.

Dear...

I am writing about an article in this morning's Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1293730/Somali-asylum-seeker-family-given-2m-house--complaining-5-bed-London-home-poor-area.html). It is typical of the many that have been printed over recent years, highlighting our crazy benefits system, but this one beggars belief and demands a more determined response from a government that has pledged to change this system than is currently being proposed (£400 a week for housing benefits next April...why not £250 a week now, or are the Tories trying to protect their landlord friends?).

I donate a significant amount of money each month to charities that help the poor here and in the third world. I spend a couple of Saturday nights a month working on a project to give the homeless a decent meal where they are served at a table once a week. I am not some nasty right wing nutter who has as much compassion as a member of the SS. However, I am an honest taxpayer and consider myself relatively well paid (if I exclude bankers), I have a Ph.D. and turned down a highly lucrative job in investment banking to work in one the UK's most innovative and genuinely productive industries, pharmaceuticals, and yet my take-home pay comes to less than two weeks worth of the rent being paid for, out of my taxes, for this Somalian family who have contributed very little, if anything, to our country's finances.

Thankfully I have Canadian permanent residence, so if our new government doesn't sort this kind of abuse out very quickly, and at the same time ensure that the other biggest class of scroungers for handouts, bankers, don't get their wings severely clipped, I'm out of here. I'll leave this country to the unproductive cheats (buy-to-let landlords, benefit scroungers and bankers), and their ungrateful spawn, who milk the honest tax payer who can barely afford a grotty two bedroom flat in the overpriced, overcrowded, over-indebted multi-cultural 'paradise' that is modern Britain.

The question I ask you is this: can you afford to lose me? One person fine, but hundreds of thousands of intelligent, indigenous, well educated productive people? I am well paid, but I can't afford a decent home, half the time I try to catch a train it's delayed or cancelled, I walk along Hove's main street and English is only spoken by half the people around me. I don't really want to go, England is beautiful and culturally rich (and I mean our history and heritage, not the fact that we have 2.5 million Muslims). All my friends and family are here...I'd rather stay, but I have watched our nation being over-run by immigrants (I don't blame them by the way, I will soon be one!). I've watched a banking elite, in collusion with their political lapdogs, swindle the taxpayer out of hundreds of billions, when all we needed to do was guarantee savings deposits. I've also watched greedy landlords become millionaires off the back of priced-out first-time buyers who will never enjoy the standard of living their parents enjoyed. You need to prove yourself a government that is going to radically change the system to make life just that bit easier for the likes of me if I am going to stay, and you need to do it quickly.

Property sources say the house was being advertised locally at a cost of £1,050 per week.

There's the fraud right there which can easily be investigated. Why aren't the police involved? No doubt there's some backhanders happning here.

Whichever council official that sanctioned this LHA claim, they need sacking. End of.