House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Withnail

Breaking - New Orleans Completely Destroyed

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- As the death toll from Hurricane Katrina reaches at least 56, a levee holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain has reportedly sustained a breach two blocks long in the Lakefront area of New Orleans.

The breach has triggered rapidly rising floodwaters in the city's downtown and prompted at least one hospital to evacuate patients by air.

A second hospital is contemplating a similar plan.

The death toll from Katrina is expected to climb, following one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit the U.S. Gulf Coast in a half century. Fifty of the deaths occurred in one county in Mississippi, CNN has confirmed.

Karen Troyer Caraway, vice president of Tulane University Hospital, told CNN that Louisiana State Police had confirmed the New Orleans breach to her.

Water at the hospital, located in New Orleans' central business district, was rising at the rate of a foot an hour, she told CNN, and had already reached the top of the first floor.

"It's dumping all the lake water in Orleans Parish," she said. "It's essentially running down Canal Street. We have whitecaps on Canal Street."

"We now are completely surrounded by 6 feet of water, and are about to get on the phone with Federal Emergency Management Agency to start talking about evacuation plans," Caraway said. "The water is rising so fast, I can't even begin to describe how fast it is rising."

She did not know whether any pumps had been turned on to pump the water, but said, "they're not going to be able to compete with Lake Pontchartrain."

A Louisiana State Police spokesman said he was not immediately able to confirm Caraway's report of a levee breach, but said there had been extensive flooding in that area.

Tulane hospital already has moved its emergency room to the second floor, she said. It has been on emergency generator power for the last 24 hours, but if water continues rising at the current rate, that power will be lost, swamping the power source.

"We have patients on respirators," she said. There are more than 1,000 people in the hospital, and most of the patients are critically ill, meaning they will have to be evacuated by air, she said.

A hospital across from Tulane, Charity Hospital, was already evacuating its 90 patients by air, she said.

In the city's eastern portion, emergency workers were using boats to rescue people from the 9th Ward neighborhood, which was largely submerged after water topped a levee.

Guest rigsby II
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- As the death toll from Hurricane Katrina reaches at least 56, a levee holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain has reportedly sustained a breach two blocks long in the Lakefront area of New Orleans

Or as George Formby would have said, Turned Out Shite Again

gf2.jpg

:)

There are reports of bodies floating down the streets.

These bodies are already embalmed! They're from the mausoleums(sp?) in the local cemetery. Bleurgh!

There may be worse to come - I believe the storm was headed North & due to drop an awful lot of water in the Mississippi basin, so when that lot finds its way down to NO, it could be like '27 'high-water' again..

Any Led Zeppelin fans out there? "When the Levee breaks" 1971

If it keeps on rainin’, levee’s goin’ to break,

When the levee breaks I’ll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,

Lord, mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,

Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,

Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don’t it make you feel bad

When you’re tryin’ to find your way home,

You don’t know which way to go?

If you’re goin’ down south

They go no work to do,

If you don’t know about chicago.

Cryin’ won’t help you, prayin’ won’t do you no good,

Now, cryin’ won’t help you, prayin’ won’t do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned,

Thinkin’ ’bout me baby and my happy home.

Going, go’n’ to chicago,

Go’n’ to chicago,

Sorry but I can’t take you.

Going down, going down now, going down.

:o

Edited by Smell the Fear

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- As the death toll from Hurricane Katrina reaches at least 56, a levee holding back the waters of Lake Pontchartrain has reportedly sustained a breach two blocks long in the Lakefront area of New Orleans.

been looking for more info on this, but the WDSU feed isn't covering it. Any links to live coverage?

Well, if it means the US takes global warming more seriously then some good may come out of it.

Given that the flooding is nothing to do with 'global warming', that would be pretty bizarre... but I'm sure the 'global warming' industry will be trying to make some money out of it.

If anything, they should be promoting 'global warming' as it would reduce the temperature differential between the poles and equator, which would make hurricanes less powerful.

Edited by MarkG

Given that the flooding is nothing to do with 'global warming', that would be pretty bizarre... but I'm sure the 'global warming' industry will be trying to make some money out of it.

Given that the main reason for the storm appearing so fast and hard was that the sea temperatures were 2 degrees above the norm, and that it is accepted science, and that sea temperatures are indeed rising faster than could be explained by natural variation, it isn't too far fetched to say that at the least, this is a clear example of the type of weather than global warming will bring, even if we can't catagorically blame the flooding on global warming.

btw... is the 'global warming industry' a euphamism for the oil industry? ;)

but seriously. can you give some good scientific evidence that global warming is nothing more than a mass delusion in the scientific community who are only in it for the money? Oh... and I suppose the oil magnates are here to charitably give us oil for the common good? .. try telling that to the victims of the exxon valdese disaster who are still denied compensation for the damage to their environment, and the illegal aquisition of their land.

Any Led Zeppelin fans out there? "When the Levee breaks" 1971

When the levee breaks I’ll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,

Lord, mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,

Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,

Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don’t it make you feel bad

When you’re tryin’ to find your way home,

You don’t know which way to go?

If you’re goin’ down south

They go no work to do,

If you don’t know about chicago.

Cryin’ won’t help you, prayin’ won’t do you no good,

Now, cryin’ won’t help you, prayin’ won’t do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

Thinkin’ ’bout me baby and my happy home.

Going, go’n’ to chicago,

Go’n’ to chicago,

Sorry but I can’t take you.

Going down, going down now, going down.

:o

A fine song, Fear, but credit where it's due; written & first recorded by Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie, 1929 ( just a coupla years after Charlie Patton's 'High Water Everywhere' & Barbecue Bob's 'Mississippi Heavy Water Blues', both of which seem oddly pertinent today)..

If anything, they should be promoting 'global warming' as it would reduce the temperature differential between the poles and equator, which would make hurricanes less powerful.

Nope, you should know better than this. Warming sea temperatures will inevitably increase the energy and therefore destructiveness of tropical storms.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...00.html?cnn=yes

Unfortunately my jaundiced experience of the news agenda in the US is that this will no longer be headline news in a few days but nevertheless in time the US will be forced to face up to profligate fossil fuel consumption.

Given that the flooding is nothing to do with 'global warming', that would be pretty bizarre...

Where do you think hurricanes get their energy?

Oh dear oh dear. This is more way off the mark than the average VI house price prediction. Unfortunately this is the sort of science that Bush might rely on.

Edited by Matt

A fine song, Fear, but credit where it's due; written & first recorded by Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie, 1929 ( just a coupla years after Charlie Patton's 'High Water Everywhere' & Barbecue Bob's 'Mississippi Heavy Water Blues', both of which seem oddly pertinent today)..

Sorry, you're rigt it's an old blues number inspired by previous floods in the deep south.

What exactly is the "global warming" industry...? Do you work for Shell or something?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...00.html?cnn=yes

One especially sobering study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that hurricane wind speeds have increased about 50% in the past 50 years. And since warm oceans are such a critical ingredient in hurricane formation, anything that gets the water warming more could get the storms growing worse. Global warming, in theory at least, would be more than sufficient to do that. While the people of New Orleans may not see another hurricane for years, the next one they do see could make even Katrina look mild.

Warming sea temperatures will inevitably increase the energy and therefore destructiveness of tropical storms.

Of course anthropogenic 'greenhouse gas' warming would primarily occur in the _COLDEST_ parts of the planet. But since you're such an expert on 'global warming' I'm sure you're aware of that.

The reason we're seeing lots of hurricanes is because we're at a peak of the hurricane cycle: it has nothing to do with 'global warming' due to 'greenhouse gases' (though it may well have something to do with global warming due to increased solar heating).

What exactly is the "global warming" industry...?

The people who make billions of dollars a year from 'global warming' research, the people who expect to make billions and billions and billions of dollars a year from 'carbon trading', and the European politicians who expect to devastate the US economy by CO2 restrictions.

Odd, isn't it, that people who complain about vested interests in the housing market can't see the massive vested interests operating in the 'global warming' market?

but seriously. can you give some good scientific evidence that global warming is nothing more than a mass delusion in the scientific community who are only in it for the money?  Oh... and I suppose the oil magnates are here to charitably give us oil for the common good? .. try telling that to the victims of the exxon valdese disaster who are still denied compensation for the damage to their environment, and the illegal aquisition of their land.

Do a search on Scalar Technology, weather and it's military uses. Then sit back and wait for the knock at the door. :)

"Others are engaging even in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves. So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations.It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important."

[uS Secretary of Defense William Cohen at an April 1997 counterterrorism conference sponsored by former Senator Sam Nunn. Quoted from DoD News Briefing, Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, Q&A at the Conference on Terrorism, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and U.S. Strategy, University of Georgia , Athens , Apr. 28, 1997].

Of course anthropogenic 'greenhouse gas' warming would primarily occur in the _COLDEST_ parts of the planet. But since you're such an expert on 'global warming' I'm sure you're aware of that.

Your sarcasm undermines your arguments. Read my post again, carefully. Perhaps you will agree that you have not addressed the simple point in it.

Do you now accept that warmer sea temperatures will increase the destructiveness of tropical storms, or not?

The reason we're seeing lots of hurricanes is because we're at a peak of the hurricane cycle: it has nothing to do with 'global warming' due to 'greenhouse gases' (though it may well have something to do with global warming due to increased solar heating).

The people who make billions of dollars a year from 'global warming' research, the people who expect to make billions and billions and billions of dollars a year from 'carbon trading', and the European politicians who expect to devastate the US economy by CO2 restrictions.

Odd, isn't it, that people who complain about vested interests in the housing market can't see the massive vested interests operating in the 'global warming' market?

Not only that - these huge hurricanes have also coincided with the longest/strongest double peak of SOLAR ACTIVITY for a century!

The Magentic Radiation tears into the Earths atmosphere and is a direct cause of . . .

Warming temperatures

Holes in the Atmosphere (cfc's - I don't think so - vested Freezer manufacturers!)

Erratic weather - upsetting our seasons, droughts here, floods there. Ahhhh, so that's it!

Skin cancers due to more radiation coming through Earths protective layers.

And loads more I cant be bothered to mention coz I hope you get the picture!

And loads more

Oh come on.

Ofcourse there are vested interests in the environmental business. But like here in this forum, where we are vested interests in the housing market (but with somewhat altruistic notions), the environmental lobby is mostly made of people who actually place value in the environment we live in. Its not about money... its about life.

Again I ask, give me scientific evidence that an increase in carbon dioxide has no effect on global temperatures... go on then! ... there are simple laws of physics at play here.

Just like I want to hear all sides of the story in regards to economic and housing issues, I want to hear all sides to the story on environmental change. So please do point us to the science behind the sceptic...

Ok, I did say that this particular event may not be attributal to global warming, but I did say that it demonstrates the effect of increased sea temperatures, which would be the result of global warming.

On the issue of solar heating, this is truly a valid point, and is worth researching... but you are yet to refute the physics that dictate that global temperatures WILL rise as more carbon dioxide IS released...

and before you drop this one in the mix... there are theories going around that the soot particulates of burning fossil fuels has shielded the earth from most of the effects of the greenhouse effect (effectively puting a sunblock in the air) ... and that irony of ironies, cleaning up our exhausts and power stations will accellerate global warming as the amount of particulates reduces following the peak of the industrial revolution.

I'm all ears... I give all these ideas an equal platform... but I want to see the evidence.

Do you agree with David Bellamy's recent chat about glaciers btw?

I'm more worried about the headline of this story:

"New Orleans completely destroyed."

I think "Hiroshima completely destroyed" might be a correct statement, but let's wait and see what happens after they've plugged the levees and dropped in some polder pumps.

Remember, this is New Orleans, NOT Banda Ache. The US still has a good credit rating (why?) and even Forest Gump would lend them the money to bring NO's oil industry / US's 5th largest port (by tonnage, 2002 , see http://www.iwr.usace.army.mil/ndc/wcsc/portname02.htm ) back on stream.

Edited by Sledgehead