House Price Crash Forum

House Price Predictions

HOLA441

I like to start threads about house prices as I thought this was the point of this forum....... B)

Where do people perceive house prices to be by the end of 2010. Lets use Halifax HPI as Nationwide uses such a small sample and the Land registry data is months behind.

I predict a conservative 5% fall from July-December as I can't see house prices dropping nationally by more than 1% a month.

What do others think??

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Noodle

I like to start threads about house prices as I thought this was the point of this forum....... B)

Where do people perceive house prices to be by the end of 2010. Lets use Halifax HPI as Nationwide uses such a small sample and the Land registry data is months behind.

I predict a conservative 5% fall from July-December as I can't see house prices dropping nationally by more than 1% a month.

What do others think??

How confident are you Quantitative Easing has ceased for ever more?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

How confident are you Quantitative Easing has ceased for ever more?

I don't think there is any doubt that there will be more QE.

But I don't  think it has time to prevent housing going YoY negative by end 2010.

After then, who knows?

HOLA448
Guest Noodle

I don't think there is any doubt that there will be more QE.

But I don't  think it has time to prevent housing going YoY negative by end 2010.

After then, who knows?

Continue printing, they'll definitely be negative year-on-year . . . measured against locust skins.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I wonder whether Realistbear will give us the wisdom of his experience on this thread.........In 30 days he has changed from -20% to -5%, mind you that was a few days ago. He has probably now put in an offer on a place over the weekend, changed his avatar and status and become "Realistbull"! ;)

He will be on here to tell you it will be up 20%

FWIW, IMO, it will be around -4% from here, with a couple of bullish flat or up months on the way!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think nominal house prices will be about flat by the end of this year, and down about 5-10% by the end of 2011. After that, who knows.

But the problem is that's an average. It includes crime ridden former local authority flats in unemployment blackspots, and it includes gorgeous family homes with easy access to central London. But whatever falls we see will be mainly driven by properties that none of us want to live in. In order to see our dream properties available at prices we regard as realistic, we'll have to see percentage falls way beyond what we think is necessary.

HOLA4413

I go with a modest fall from current prices - like about 5% lower.

We had green shoots, but they seem to be withering. We get gloomy economic news one day and then it's upbeat again the next day. If the consensus changes and gloom wins out, prices will start to fall more rapidly but that's probably months away, if it happens at all.

I'm seeing more and more reduced prices in property ads in the papers, when that happened before, it was the precursor of the house sales crash of '07-'08.

What I've seen locally is that while house prices have stayed flat in recent months, prices of top properties have still been booming, indicating a widening gap between the rich and the rest of us.

Edited by blankster

HOLA4414
Guest KingCharles1st

I think it goes like this- when home/home loan owners need to bail out of the shit owning becasue it's (ssshhh) cheaper to rent..

So what will make it cheaper to rent over the next twelve months?

Edited by KingCharles1st

HOLA4415

I think asking prices will be down a few % by the end of this year, but what I'm more interested in is sold prices.

By say November I would guess that a lot more vendors will be accepting far cheekier offers than they would ever have considered in spring/early summer.

At least I hope so, since that's when we're planning to put any offers in.

FWIW I'm not only seeing a lot more properties come on the market we're looking in (SW London), I'm seeing quite a few reductions. Inc. the odd substantial one.

TBH I wasn't expecting to see this until after the summer holidays.

HOLA4416

They're falling about 0.5% per month at the moment, so I guess that translates to around 3%-5% below today's levels by the end of the year. 2011 falls will be steeper, once the effects of the October spending review kick in. Could be a long wait though - these things take time.

HOLA4417

I think nominal house prices will be about flat by the end of this year, and down about 5-10% by the end of 2011. After that, who knows.

But the problem is that's an average. It includes crime ridden former local authority flats in unemployment blackspots, and it includes gorgeous family homes with easy access to central London. But whatever falls we see will be mainly driven by properties that none of us want to live in. In order to see our dream properties available at prices we regard as realistic, we'll have to see percentage falls way beyond what we think is necessary.

I think the most we'll see prices fall by years end is about 3%. They could easily remain flat. Whilst I'm a little more optimistic about 2011, because it has the possibility for falls of 15%+. I'd like to see the Haliwide average figures break below £150k during 2011. That would be significant. Sadly it is far from certain with our current politicians.

But I quoted your post because I very much agree with your point on what types of homes will fall in price. And it will take a few more big shocks to the system for those more desirable homes to return to sane price levels.

HOLA4418

It depends on several things IMO:

1. How much of the 25%-40% Public sector cuts happen, and when (and it's knock-on effects)

2. What effect the end of the Special Liquidity Scheme has on lending and rates

3. How strong the pound becomes (discouraging foreign investors, or encouraging them to cash in)

4. If inflation causes wage inflation then lower real drops

5. What effect the above has on market sentiment

I think we'll see about 3-4% drops, but would hope for 6-8%

Edited by exiges

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

2010 has seen an increase in HPI as the best quality houses have sold in an environment of very

few sales, gendering a falsely high value overall, coupled with London prices being (ludicrously)

included in National Averages.

Public Sector cutbacks and redundancies. NHS restructure (more redundancies).

Continued Private Sector slimming down. (Non employment Recovery).

Gradual tightening of household budgets.

Control of Housing Benefit and hence reduction of Buy to Let market.

All point to gradual attrition of HPI over the next three to five years.

20% fall over next 3 to 5 years.

HOLA4422

I do,

I reckon down by year end between -5% and -7%.

By year end 2011 down again between -10% and -15%

Spiney.

I like that. It does look sensible to me. A compromise between what I would like to happen (30% fall in 2 years), and what I fear could happen (prices falling by just a few percent per year for the next 10 years, Japan like).

HOLA4423

I think prices in cheaper areas have already fallen in the last years. Prices in better areas have resisted, but should fall next.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Up 6%.

Where's Sibley? He's easily got the best track record at this sort of thing.

Sibley lives in Maidstone, dosesn't he /she ? I bet prices will drop there, it's a bit of a s hithole! Elsewhere, here in the SE property seems to be 'flying off the shelf' most around the asking prices!