House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

£7M House Did Not Come With A Garden Afterall

Money can't buy you happiness or a garden.

So when an American couple paid more than £7 million for one of Chelsea’s plushest addresses they were understandably looking forward relaxing in the communal area alongside some of their well heeled neighbours.

Now however, after a lengthy court battle, they have been told they are not allowed access to the garden and instead have been landed with a £130,000 legal bill.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7881665/Court-denies-couple-use-of-garden-square.html

Mr Herrmann, and his wife Mina, 58, a leading hedge fund manager who pocketed millions last year by successfully betting on the near collapse of the UK banking sector, are thought to have spent in excess of £130,000 on legal bills attempting to win access to the garden.

It's called karma

There's nothing better than moving into your dream home and then immediately firing off a few lawsuits against your new neighbours.

Edited by Scunnered

I presume their next target will be the correct one (the EA) and that they'd have to follow trying to get a key through the whole way before going after them, or else the EAs lawyers would just say "you are entitled to one, you should have tried harder".

why would you end up with a 130k legal bill for this case. surely 5 to 10 k seems excessive for such a simple case. how many hours can their lawyers put into this case for research etc

Money can't buy you happiness or a garden.

So when an American couple paid more than £7 million for one of Chelsea’s plushest addresses they were understandably looking forward relaxing in the communal area alongside some of their well heeled neighbours.

Now however, after a lengthy court battle, they have been told they are not allowed access to the garden and instead have been landed with a £130,000 legal bill.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7881665/Court-denies-couple-use-of-garden-square.html

We have these types of communal gardens around where we live. Having a key to the garden usually costs a token amount, say, £100 per year. Lots of people have keys who don't necessarily have a right to.

They obviously got someone's back up.

Politeness costs nothing, y'all!

how many hours can their lawyers put into this case for research etc

You'll have had a chance to think about this by now, and I'm sure you realise that was a silly question to which the answer is:

the amount of money the lawyer thinks they have / the laywer's charge out rate

why would you end up with a 130k legal bill for this case. surely 5 to 10 k seems excessive for such a simple case. how many hours can their lawyers put into this case for research etc

probably employed Cherie Blair @ £4000 per day.

They're 'Hedgies' - prob tacked a few extra zeros on the end - thinking they would win!

Find it amusing that they are blocked out of their desirable garden by railings/a hedge!

So it looks like it is this house

goggle mapps

not even on the square, 35 is the last one on the square round the corner?

edit link

They were being cheeky beggars. I can see the square through my front window. As can dozens of others who also don't live on the square.

The judge set them straight! High Court though. Morons taking it that far.

You'd think he would have offered to pay for a couple of years upkeep of the garden or endowed some benches/statuary for about a tenth of the cost of the lawsuit in exchange for the key.

I had a look on the map and the garden doesn't seem worth fighting( and losing) over. :blink:

His house is to the side of the garden. If he's allowed, then the rest of the street will want entry.

I can appreciate that. I am just surprised he didn't try a less confrontational and costly way of gaining entry to the small patch of turf with a few trees.

He has spent more on legal fees to gain the right to sit on a bench than I am looking to pay for a house :D

I can appreciate that. I am just surprised he didn't try a less confrontational and costly way of gaining entry to the small patch of turf with a few trees.

He has spent more on legal fees to gain the right to sit on a bench than I am looking to pay for a house :D

One word clue. American.

Take em to court culture works well in the USA.

I was an expert witness for the defence a few years ago; the case lasted 2 days and the plaintiffs' QC was doing it pro bono

Combined legal costs for both sides still exceeded 300k...

Presumably they had a solicitor to act for them in the sale, as is usual.

I propose that they sue the solicitor for not telling them the house didn't come with a key to the garden.

And waste yet more money. Tee. Hee.

Interview with clients.

Reading background

Site visits

Transport costs. Parking costs

Thinking time.

Reading case law time.

Arsing about getting coffee time.

300 an hour is 12 weeks work.