House Price Crash Forum
Mrs Bear

Remember 'the Old Bakehouse' In Devon?

I'm sure there was a thread about this - old Devon bakehouse in Tuckenhay, done up to the nines with top spec bells and whistles.

It was featured on TV a couple of years ago.

According to today's Times prop. section, the AP was cut from £3M to £2.4, then £1.3, and now as a repo, to £975K.

"Its owner, Jonathan Blain, who describes himself as an 'entrepreneur, explorer, adventurer and innovator', says that three of his biggest lifetime achievements have been to sail through a hurricane, survive a shipwreck and walk barefoot on red-hot coals.

He has yet to make it through this financial storm."

http://www.primelocation.com/featured-property/id/6279/

I'm sure there was a thread about this - old Devon bakehouse in Tuckenhay, done up to the nines with top spec bells and whistles.

According to today's Times prop. section, the AP was cut from £3M to £2.4, then £1.3, and now as a repo, to £975K.

"Its owner, Jonathan Blain, who describes himself as an 'entrepreneur, explorer, adventurer and innovator', says that three of his biggest lifetime achievements have been to sail through a hurricane, survive a shipwreck and walk barefoot on red-hot coals.

http://www.primeloca...operty/id/6279/

I am seeing similar madness round my way, what is it with people who buy houses for renovation?

One case about 10 miles from me, was on at £1.9m (now reduced to £1.7m), when I you can easily see the house was sold for £700k just a few years ago. Ok they have doubled the size, but frankly it was a small detached house to start with and is on a main road.

Utter madness. I think the cause is that people throw standard business practice out of the window - if you want to spend £100k putting a state of the art kitchen into a 3 bed semi, people will only be too happy to take your money, the trouble comes when you try to sell and the prospective buyers don't agree with you that a £100k kitchen adds £200k to the house.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

those 3 achievements are crap tho arent they?

The work of a single afternoon; I thought the red hot coals one was a standard corporate day out thing. He has clearly transferred his general uselessness to propety development.

There should be a degree of legal protection over the use of the word "entrepeneur"; buying a run down house and hiring some builders does not an entrepeneur make.

:lol:

(Sorry can't stop laughing)

Is he related to David Blain and if so perhaps David could magic up some idiot to buy it at that price :lol:

Oh how this has made my Sunday morning :lol:

Any have a link to the Times story I can't stop laughing long enough to look it up :lol:

I am seeing similar madness round my way, what is it with people who buy houses for renovation? 

One case about 10 miles from me, was on at £1.9m (now reduced to £1.7m), when I you can easily see the house was sold for £700k just a few years ago. Ok they have doubled the size, but frankly it was a small detached house to start with and is on a main road. 

Utter madness. I think the cause is that people throw standard business  practice out of the window - if you want to spend £100k putting a state of the art kitchen into a 3 bed semi, people will only be too happy to take your money, the trouble comes when you try to sell and the prospective buyers don't agree with you that a £100k kitchen adds £200k to the house.

Although I like Sarah Beeny, and I don't blame her, I do blame Property Ladder and similar programmes for this unfortunate mentality.

The work of a single afternoon; I thought the red hot coals one was a standard corporate day out thing. He has clearly transferred his general uselessness to propety development.

There should be a degree of legal protection over the use of the word "entrepeneur"; buying a run down house and hiring some builders does not an entrepeneur make.

Hmm perhaps a similar action could be taken to the EU as in the case of Champagne.. although didn't they lose. Meaning any old tosser can call themselves whatever they want.

It has it's own Web Site.

"Until recently the Old Bakehouse, his five-bedroom waterside home at Tuckenhay in south Devon, would have sold quickly and probably for a lot more than its guide price. After all it has a private landing stage, a balcony with views over the River Dart and plenty of high-technology toys!" Sunday Telegraph

"We say: This one's got it all and the price reflects that. But Devon prices aren't falling as rapidly as elsewhere in the country, which might put the kybosh on someone wanting to move from a more depressed area. But on the upside, it'll be cheaper to run as it's fully insulated, has solar panels and log burner stoves." The Independent

Shirley Tull from Harold Michelmore Solicitors said:

"I have always found The Old Bakehouse enchanting beyond any fixed price"

That is it really, It is a dream home that supports an extraordinary quality of life.

It is a dream home that supports an extraordinary quality of life? Not if you need to eat it isn't.

All the villagers were agog when they saw the tarpaulin go up - they/we know it floods.

This is 100 yds from where Floyd met his nemesis.

(Don't live there anymore).

Utter madness. I think the cause is that people throw standard business  practice out of the window - if you want to spend £100k putting a state of the art kitchen into a 3 bed semi, people will only be too happy to take your money, the trouble comes when you try to sell and the prospective buyers don't agree with you that a £100k kitchen adds £200k to the house.

Madness, how true. When I first saw it on TV I thought he was over-speccing to a ridiculous degree for that type of property - people buying a waterside home in Devon, more than likely as a 2nd home, surely wouldn't want (or want to pay through the nose for) all that high-tech stuff.

Talking of uber-spec, the Times article mentions another 'high-end repo' - get this:

"Take The Old Vicarage, a 6 bedroom home in Bishops Cannings, on the edge of the Vale of Pewsey, in Wiltshire. the brochure states that the current owners have added (among other things) remote-filling bath and body dryer..." :P:P:P

That one was orig. up for £2.95M (inc. a cottage)

Now up for £1.95 (I think minus the cottage)

Guest sillybear2

Speaking of magicians, I have a bad feeling this may involve a state owned bank.

"Try Fraction Before You Buy: Just £6K in Return For 4 Weeks Use"

Ahh, the business model of a coke dealer. That sounds like a very expensive hotel.

Edited by sillybear2

Although I like Sarah Beeny, and I don't blame her, I do blame Property Ladder and similar programmes for this unfortunate mentality.

Was the Old Bakehouse on on Property Ladder?

I'd have thought SB would have told him he was bonkers to uber-spec the place like that.

Whatever anyone may think of SB, one thing she's certainly not short of where property is concerned is common sense.

Guest sillybear2

Was the Old Bakehouse on on Property Ladder?

I'd have thought SB would have told him he was bonkers to uber-spec the place like that.

Whatever anyone may think of SB, one thing she's certainly not short of where property is concerned is common sense.

There was an old bakery, but not by the water IIRC.

SB isn't short in other areas either.

Edited by sillybear2

There's an old church at the end of a small lane at the top of a hill outside Ross (near here) that's been `converted' by a developer. It was on for about £500k a couple of years ago, then up for rent, then on for £456,789 (yes, really) - now with a new agent for £440k.

We had a look when it was for rent. You'd feel like you were cooking on the altar, not sure how you'd use a pulpit in a family home (I'm sure some of you could make suggestions) and most of the windows are high up and stained glass. It really still has the feel of a church and you'd be frightened to swear or talk loudly.

As well as all that, its a lovely spot on a sunny weekend in Summer, not so good if it snows, rains, gets windy or is dark.

Church for sale

Y

Guest sillybear2

The work of a single afternoon; I thought the red hot coals one was a standard corporate day out thing.

It probably was a single afternoon, sounds like he was shipwrecked in Iceland or something.

From the spec:

The ground floor of the property has been built up with comprehensive specification of tanking and pumped overflow/sump arrangements in the sub floor structure to restrict any flood potential.

In other words, its uninsurable against flood :D

Here's another uber-spec that failed to sell for anything like the AP (not a repo, though)

It's not a million miles from me, right next to a pedestrian gate to Richmond Park (with its own entrance to the park).

Original AP was £5M - I saw the other day on GodBlessNetHousePrices that it finally went for about £2.833M.

I think they bought the plot for just under £1M.

Rosie Millard did a piece on it last year:

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/new_homes/article5948668.ece

Its owner, Jonathan Blain, [ has experienced]............... a hurricane,........... a shipwreck and .............barefoot on red-hot coals.

Spectacularly unlucky isn't he? All that bad stuff happening to one person -I'm surprised anyone lent him a penny.

"Let me introduce you to David and Anjana Devoy. Both barristers, both 44, both from comfortable middle-class homes, but with a yearning to be different. How do we know this? Their children are called Orlando, Inigo and Avalon. "

LMFAO

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/new_homes/article5948668.ece

Jesus, what a waste of human potential ...

"Let me introduce you to David and Anjana Devoy. Both barristers, both 44, both from comfortable middle-class homes, but with a yearning to be different. How do we know this? Their children are called Orlando, Inigo and Avalon. "

LMFAO

Hello my name is inigo devoy you killed my future,prepare to die!

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

There's an old church at the end of a small lane at the top of a hill outside Ross (near here) that's been `converted' by a developer. It was on for about £500k a couple of years ago, then up for rent, then on for £456,789 (yes, really) - now with a new agent for £440k.

We had a look when it was for rent. You'd feel like you were cooking on the altar, not sure how you'd use a pulpit in a family home (I'm sure some of you could make suggestions) and most of the windows are high up and stained glass. It really still has the feel of a church and you'd be frightened to swear or talk loudly.

As well as all that, its a lovely spot on a sunny weekend in Summer, not so good if it snows, rains, gets windy or is dark.

Church for sale

Y

Chancery laws anyone ?

Sneaky Church

Couple Must Pay £250,000 For Church Repairs

And to quote from this piece:

The church then appealed to the House of Lords who decided that a PCC (Parochial Church Council) is exempt from human rights laws,

This disgusting organisation is exempt from human rights! You've got no defence then in this case. You're not even human when it comes to 'the Church' !

Moral of the story is: don't trust 'the Church'. They're just as bad as these 'property developers' when it comes to trying grab money.

Don't care what anyone is asking for these properties they are worth next to nothing when you have 'the Church' casting its shadow over you like a spectre of doom.

Chancery laws anyone ?

Sneaky Church

Couple Must Pay £250,000 For Church Repairs

And to quote from this piece:

This disgusting organisation is exempt from human rights! You've got no defence then in this case. You're not even human when it comes to 'the Church' !

Moral of the story is: don't trust 'the Church'. They're just as bad as these 'property developers' when it comes to trying grab money.

Don't care what anyone is asking for these properties they are worth next to nothing when you have 'the Church' casting its shadow over you like a spectre of doom.

But they were able to spend £200,000 on legal fee's. Strange.

Is it definitely a repo now? Have you a link by any chance?