House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Velgud

Person/room Tax

One of the biggest problems in housing is that there simply aren't enough medium sized (3/4 bedroom) houses available. I have no idea on the numbers, but I suspect there is a very high percentage of elderly couples who've children have moved out living in houses much larger than they actually require. Obviously they have worked hard all their lives and deserve to have a happy home but perhaps more could be done to encourage them to downsize. Perhaps a council tax cut for people who have a high occupants/bedrooms ratio thus encouraging lodgers to subsequently relieve the one bedroom flat rental market. Or vice versa, an increase in tax on homes with empty bedrooms. Sounds a bit drastic, but perhaps it would help.

Thoughts?

One of the biggest problems in housing is that there simply aren't enough medium sized (3/4 bedroom) houses available. I have no idea on the numbers, but I suspect there is a very high percentage of elderly couples who've children have moved out living in houses much larger than they actually require. Obviously they have worked hard all their lives and deserve to have a happy home but perhaps more could be done to encourage them to downsize. Perhaps a council tax cut for people who have a high occupants/bedrooms ratio thus encouraging lodgers to subsequently relieve the one bedroom flat rental market. Or vice versa, an increase in tax on homes with empty bedrooms. Sounds a bit drastic, but perhaps it would help.

Thoughts?

Why don't we tax 'organised' religion - they have had far more than their allotted 10th tithes!

They own millions of acres in the UK and even prophet from vile shopping Malls which they part own/own the land!

Their sheep are needy - so it's payback for centuries of accumulation!

Thoughts?

Why not just build more 3/4 bedroom homes so no one has to downsize?

Why should we drive people out of their homes and communities filled with memories just because developers love throwing up 2up 2down slave boxes? i think you've got it all back to front.

It would be faily easy to get around this tax, just turn the bedroom into a study or a bathroom. Or you could knock through and create 1 larger room instead of 2 small ones to reduce your liability.

You're on the right lines though imo, we do need to use the finite space that we have as efficiently as possible. It's ridiculous that pensioners are living in homes that are way to big for them whilst young families put up with living in squalor becasue of HPI.

Edited by Chef

One of the biggest problems in housing is that there simply aren't enough medium sized (3/4 bedroom) houses available.

Thoughts?

What's happened to room share rules?

When I was growing up I shared a room with my younger sister (and hated it but it's character forming)

3 kids in a 3 bedroom house.

Neighbours had 6 in the same size house.

Nowadays councils are somehow obliged to give the unemployed bigger houses than they could ever afford if they worked.

3 bed houses should be the max.

If you want bigger than that you buy your own. If you can't buy your own it's because you're either too poor or house prices are too high.

I always thought increased energy bills would be incentive enough for people to downsize.

but seeing the price of petrol and the enormous number of cars on the road during a recession I'm not so sure.

Edited by SarahBell

Im a single person and intend to stay so, and aim to buy a 3-4 bedroom house.

I dont want to live somewhere small so some breeder can have somewhere bigger for their spawn? lol You guys crack me up.

It would be faily easy to get around this tax, just turn the bedroom into a study or a bathroom. Or you could knock through and create 1 larger room instead of 2 small ones to reduce your liability.

You're on the right lines though imo, we do need to use the finite space that we have as efficiently as possible. It's ridiculous that pensioners are living in homes that are way to big for them whilst young families put up with living in squalor becasue of HPI.

It seems the real problem is there is too much demand and not enough supply. I think we should eradicate the demand that can't be satisfied. A nice little war should do it.

Supply and demand are indeed the problem.

A person tax is likely to be political suicide (poll tax anyone?) and would mean that living as a single person in a big house would be more economical than it is now.

We need more houses in the right places - incentives to renovate current stock in cities and planning laws that allow local people to build small numbers of houses in many places would help. Rather than the large developments that tend to get most people so pissed off.

as for housing benefit I laughed when they said there would be a £400 per week maximum. I earn more than average and can't afford £1700pcm in rent! The idea that you can't have more than a 3 bed at other people's expense would be a good thing I think.