House Price Crash Forum

Tools

Guest Noodle

HOLA441
Guest Noodle

Okay, putting together a new tool kit.

Already got that screwdriver kit and socket set recommended by OnlyMe, thank you for that. Also a 12 pce spanner set and 30 pce AF/Metric allen key set.

But what else?

List so far:

Plumb bob

Chalk line

Staple gun

Pliers

Claw hammer

Pipe wrench

Hack saw

Pipe cutters

Water pump pliers

Cable strippers

50m tape

8m tape

Stanley knife

Cordless drill

Long nose pliers

Spirit level

Mastic gun

Wire cutters

. . . what else is useful?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Saws - Irwin Jack/Bahco toolbox saw small and handy, + larger one.

Flat Wood drills (set) - Some of those large sets with mix of drills/bits/depth stops etc are quite good value.

Holesaws - depending on what your are doing. Just cheap set if nothing specific

Small LED torch.

Old Chisels - Make great persuaders/levers/Masonry chippers/board lifters in addition to wreking bar.

Gloves (assembly gloves are good). Ear plugs. Safety glasses. Knee pads.

Bosch SDS plus with hammer only mode.

Jigsaw.

Circular Saw.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

what work are you doing

Don't know yet. I like handy stuff to maintain stuff. Don't know what stuff yet, but stuff. Got a good kit here but I have (had) a house to maintain.

Usually it's just setting up site compounds, lot of water pipe, waste pipe. Occasional plant maintenance. But at some point I'll end up fixing up an old caravan, was looking a Airstreams . . . very cheap in the US, like $2500 cheap for a 31ft 1970's. Polish up nice.

HOLA446
Guest Noodle

Saws - Irwin Jack/Bahco toolbox saw small and handy, + larger one.

Flat Wood drills (set) - Some of those large sets with mix of drills/bits/depth stops etc are quite good value.

Holesaws - depending on what your are doing. Just cheap set if nothing specific

Small LED torch.

Old Chisels - Make great persuaders/levers/Masonry chippers/board lifters in addition to wreking bar.

Gloves (assembly gloves are good). Ear plugs. Safety glasses. Knee pads.

Bosch SDS plus with hammer only mode.

Jigsaw.

Circular Saw.

Jigsaw, good idea.

You know automatic levels (dumpy) with tripod and staff now only run at £140?

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Noodle

Toilet roll, wet wipes, carrier bags and elastic bands.

Sounds odd but they come in handy fixing things.

True.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Jigsaw, good idea.

You know automatic levels (dumpy) with tripod and staff now only run at £140?

Seen a lot on the auction lists, never used one though. Jigsaw deffo top of the list of powered tools after a decent drill - prefer cordless drill myself.

Would be dead jealous if you got an airstream, they're ace, seen some fantastic ones used by market vendors.

Where are you at the moment Thailand/UK?

HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

Seen a lot on the auction lists, never used one though. Jigsaw deffo top of the list of powered tools after a decent drill - prefer cordless drill myself.

Would be dead jealous if you got an airstream, they're ace, seen some fantastic ones used by market vendors.

Where are you at the moment Thailand/UK?

Still in the jungle.

Airstreams. Go look on US ebay. ;)

HOLA4412

Small angle grinder and a selection of cutting/grinding discs. Saves a lot of work with a hacksaw, excellent for rough shaping of wood with a 24 grit disc, chew through stone/concrete when you need to. Gets the rust off old steelwork.

HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

Small angle grinder and a selection of cutting/grinding discs. Saves a lot of work with a hacksaw, excellent for rough shaping of wood with a 24 grit disc, chew through stone/concrete when you need to. Gets the rust off old steelwork.

Keep blowing the damn things up.

Cheap doesn't mean value.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

pipe bender, if you'll be doing a lot of copper plumbing, it will save time and money on dealing with bends/joints over the long run. Plus a gas torch for soldering, and maybe some heat-resistant plumber's mat.

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

pipe bender, if you'll be doing a lot of copper plumbing, it will save time and money on dealing with bends/joints over the long run. Plus a gas torch for soldering, and maybe some heat-resistant plumber's mat.

Don't do a lot of work in copper, but may as well have it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Noodle

Keyring penknife?

Never go anywhere without it.

Never actually used it.

But know I will one day............. possibly

Perhaps the right philosophy.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Still in the jungle.

Airstreams. Go look on US ebay. ;)

Shame, let me know if you want anything - could parcel up some stuff and send over.

Already had a look at Ebay, anything from sheel to original, mind you there's the £2k (ish)? transportation on top + customs duty.

HOLA4423

Okay, putting together a new tool kit.

Already got that screwdriver kit and socket set recommended by OnlyMe, thank you for that. Also a 12 pce spanner set and 30 pce AF/Metric allen key set.

But what else?

List so far:

Plumb bob

Chalk line

Staple gun

Pliers

Claw hammer

Pipe wrench

Hack saw

Pipe cutters

Water pump pliers

Cable strippers

50m tape

8m tape

Stanley knife

Cordless drill

Long nose pliers

Spirit level

Mastic gun

Wire cutters

. . . what else is useful?

you only need 2 tools: wd-40 and duct tape.

if it should move and doesn't, use the wd-40,

otherwise use the tape.

HOLA4424

Don't know yet. I like handy stuff to maintain stuff. Don't know what stuff yet, but stuff. Got a good kit here but I have (had) a house to maintain.

Usually it's just setting up site compounds, lot of water pipe, waste pipe. Occasional plant maintenance. But at some point I'll end up fixing up an old caravan, was looking a Airstreams . . . very cheap in the US, like $2500 cheap for a 31ft 1970's. Polish up nice.

Noodle you can never have too many tools....I love them, never throw away a good piece of wood or screw.......I know someone that loves their tools, has all those you have mentioned and even more, such as chain saw , soldering kit, battery charger, circular saw, lawnmower, hedge clipper, mitre, electric plane, wood turning lathe, tile cutter number of chisels saws and screw drivers.......trouble is everyone gets to know about the collection and pops around to ask to borrow them.

You always need the right tools to do the job quickly easily and correctly....saves both time and money. ;)

HOLA4425

Archived