House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wuluf

More Bad News!

The Confederation of British Industry’s monthly Distributive Trades Survey saw sales volumes record their sharpest fall in its 22 year history with stores forecasting a similar trend for July.

The CBI added though that the results may be exaggerated by the fact that June 2004 was a particularly good month for retailers. “Sales for the time of year in this survey were considered poor by retailers but not as bad as they were in the spring,” said the CBI

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast...story_id=502261

The CBI added though that the results may be exaggerated by the fact that June 2004 was a particularly good month for retailers.

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast...story_id=502261

Whenever I go to the shops they are still packed like sardines, so all this doom coming from the retailers (intended to influence Interest Rate decisions) cuts no ice whatsoever with me.

Whenever I go to the shops they are still packed like sardines, so all this doom coming from the retailers (intended to influence Interest Rate decisions) cuts no ice whatsoever with me.

Is it not the case that these doom and gloom figures are infact growth figures and not what people are spending, so something like...

2 years ago they sold £100 worth of goods, the next year they sold £120 worth, growth is 20%. The next year they sold £120 worth, i.e. 0 growth.

The other thing is this, I agree I haven't seen a drop in actual people in the shops. I go shopping every Saturday, but over the last year or so my shopping habit has changed from buying to looking. I used to spend £100-£150 a week at the shops now I spend hardly anything.

The supermarket I work at had increases of 10%yoy daily sales all last year. We're now dropping about 1%yoy every day. The footfall is still the same though.

People are tightening their belts ever so slightly (cheaper bottle of wine etc....)

It's different where I am. The local 'mall' I occasionally go to - I definitely sense it is quieter. It's easier to park and the place just does not have the frenetic atmosphere it used to have. I almost don't mind going there now.

And the sales! They're non-stop. A sports shop opened up recently with a big 75% off sale - and, as it was next to another sports shop, you could compare prices easily. I was after a tennis racket and bought one that was supposed to be £115 for £25. It was priced at £85 in the shop next door.

But, anyway, 3 months on - they have a closing down sale sign outside. There is something weird going on in retail.

People are in too much debt.. and now scared to get in any more..

Its amazing how much of the high street spending has been on tick..

and as 2/3rds of our economy this is going to be serious.

for every 1000 jobs lost another 400 disapear that the people from knock on financial effects.

as people loose jobs they spend less and more poeple loose jobs who spend less..

and it sprials.

a boom carries on too long and it is followed by a bust..

No more of that eh Gordon..?

Perhaps they are shoplifting? I was in London west end yesterday - very quiet, but it was a bank holiday. I didn't buy anything other than lunch. I commented to my girlfriend how great it was to be immune to consumer excess.

My girlfriend hates shopping more than any other woman (in fact, any person) I have ever come across - reason enough to love her I'm sure you'll agree. :)

darn stf your one lucky guy.

myself i think other that having to go to asda for the weekly shop, and buying things for my work from a couple building places. I prob spend about 1 hour in total a year shopping anywhere else.

There is just nothing i want to buy.