House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Ask The Government To Cancel Smi Payments

The claim is that paying unemployed persons mortgage interest is propping up house prices artificially. I think it would only have this effect if it were a benefit without end. It should be limited to 12 months only. The cost, both human and monetary of people going into arrears and becoming repo's for short term unemployment is too high to just cancel this help.

Paying mortgage should be taxable expense, that's treated just like a business loan.

Afterall your not taking up the "right " of council housing that's for the "scroungers"

Edited by Zngland

Paying mortgage should be taxable expense, that's treated just like a business loan.

Afterall your not taking up the "right " of council housing for the "scroungers"

So should private renting then

So should private renting then

Never really thought of that angle , you have a point that is for sure , just like travelling to work.

I think on both counts the politicians have it their way.

Coment Added

What a fool I was when I took out mortgage payment protection insurance, apparently I don't actually need it.

Do I have a valid case for miss selling ?

Won't happen. Why not suggest something that might like adding the interest paid to the mortgage once the borrower gets a job. That way the taxpayer gets the money back and the borrower pays the real cost.

Won't happen. Why not suggest something that might like adding the interest paid to the mortgage once the borrower gets a job. That way the taxpayer gets the money back and the borrower pays the real cost.

Agreed. SMI is designed to protect the mortgage lenders and to prop up asset prices not to help borrowers. Falling house prices equals banks failing balance sheet stress tests which will trigger demands for more bailouts. Collapsing house prices may be good for many HPC denizens and for the long term future of the economy but I very much doubt that they are something Osbourne and the Treasury want to see in the medium term. The government might want to take up your proposal but of course that will do nothing to bring down the UKs ludicrously high property valuations which is what most people on here want to see.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

The best bit is the gov pays out on the assumption that your interest is 5%. Current interest rates? 0.5%

The government is paying of the principle of many claimants as well as the interest.

The best bit is the gov pays out on the assumption that your interest is 5%. Current interest rates? 0.5%

The government is paying of the principle of many claimants as well as the interest.

the tentacles of govt all wrappping all destroying of sense.