House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Ticks

Horrible little buggers, ticks. I haven't really had much dealings with them since my spaniel died about 10 years ago (RIP Katie, sniff) she used to have grape like bunches hanging off her ears during the summer..

Is it just me or are they back with avengance?

A couple of weeks ago, whilst we were bathing our daughter, my mrs saw a little black mark on her back and picked it with her nail. it was a tick, needless to say i squashed the filthy little helmut (see swearing thread). We'd been in the woods during the day, so no doubts this is where it came from.

Also, a couple of people in the office have had them this week, and a friend of one of them possibly has lyme disease as a result. i suspect it's something to do with the tightening up of burning bracken or something.

Is there a more disgusting animal on this earth than a tick?

dog-ticks.jpg

in a completely unrelated subject - how do you go about changing the words under your avatar from HPC Veteran to something else?

Revolting.

I have had more than my fair share of dealing with these 'orrible things. If you go walking in Scotland you'll almost definatey pick up a few though the worst was in Australia when I went out camping in the bush for a week. When I came back I was covered in them, the majority were located in an area where you would rather a tick or ticks not be.

If you can remember that scene in Stand By Me where they all go for a swim and then Gordie looks down the front of his keks you'll get the idea. :o

I have encountered more this year while out shooting, fishing and working the dogs. Also I have noticed my quarry suffering more ticks as have many shooters I have spoken with.

I don't know if we have them in the UK, but when I lived in Aus - white ticks = okay greeny/blue ticks = paralysis

My Dogs were protected to the max... aiiight...

Paraly8.jpg

Nice before and after feeding shot from wikipedia....

Tick_before_and_after_feeding.jpg

I don't know if we have them in the UK, but when I lived in Aus - white ticks = okay greeny/blue ticks = paralysis

My Dogs were protected to the max... aiiight...

Paraly8.jpg

Nice before and after feeding shot from wikipedia....

Tick_before_and_after_feeding.jpg

Greedy fat bas-tard tick

Is there a more disgusting animal on this earth than a tick?

Yeah, parasites called BTL landlords.

But seriously, don't roll around in the grass. Well worth buying a tick remover tweezer from the vets if you like camping, dog walking, rambling, moutainbiking in the woods.

Guest Noodle

Nah, not so many ticks . . . but these make me nervous . . . get quite a few up here.

BlackThailandScorpion11oClock.jpg

Before I extended this house we had an outside squat bog in a concrete shed thing with a tin roof.

I got so sick of it being occupied with the dangerous little scorpions I took a sledge hammer to it and filled in the cesspit.

Nice!

borat_themes.jpg

Also get these . . .

king_cobra.JPG

. . . and worse these things, centipedes called Tak Arb . . . very dangerous.

centipede_whiskey_bottle.jpg

But seriously, don't roll around in the grass. Well worth buying a tick remover tweezer from the vets if you like camping, dog walking, rambling, moutainbiking in the woods.

I have a tick lasso works better than the old tick hook.

http://www.misotrading.co.uk/

Lyme disease is under reported. It is a serious life changing disease.

bulls-eye-rash.jpg

Look for a bulls eye rash after a bite, and see the doctor promptly for antibiotics to stop lyme disease.

It sometimes produces a well-known "bull's eye" rash around the tick bite - but not always.

It can be effectively treated with antibiotics in the early stages.

However, if left untreated Lyme disease may result in a myriad of symptoms ranging from light dizziness to joint pain and, in the later stages, nervous system disorders and chronic memory loss.

http://www.chiff.com/health/disease/lyme_disease.htm

. . . and worse these things, centipedes called Tak Arb . . . very dangerous.

"Asps! Very dangerous... You go first."

I really need to stop making movie-quote replies.

Don't seem too bad here this year. The cats get 'em worst.

Lyme Disease is very nasty, I would not want that and urban GP's don't see it so might misdiagnose.

Top Tip, wear long trousers not shorts (with additional benefit of being less igly.)

Guest Noodle

"Asps! Very dangerous... You go first."

I really need to stop making movie-quote replies.

I was trying to find the relevant photo . . . but couldn't be arsed in the the end.

Or be a smoker. Let them plump up then scorch the little sods.

p-o-p

Two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night and found one attached to my back. I got the bugger off and then tortured it for the next hour before crushing it. *******!

Since then the Mrs. and I have been totally paranoid. I can't think of anything worse than a parasite slowly sucking your blood.

Two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night and found one attached to my back. I got the bugger off and then tortured it for the next hour before crushing it. *******!

Since then the Mrs. and I have been totally paranoid. I can't think of anything worse than a parasite slowly sucking your blood.

Two parasites slowly sucking your blood?

Being skinned alive and rolled in salt?

Two parasites slowly sucking your blood?

Being skinned alive and rolled in salt?

Having your love-spuds flicked with a wet towel would also come quite close.

Guest Skinty

We just use a pair of tweezers and pull them out by the head so nothing is left in to get infected. If you cover it in a substance or squeeze the body it may vomit infected blood back into you. And if you burn it off the head may be stuck in there.

We also eat loads of raw garlic in our food days beforehand so our skin smells of it and that seems the best way to stop ticks biting. Works on midges to some extent as well. We sometimes get absolutely covered in the blighters. Last month we spent an hour picking off about 50 each before even getting back in the car. We checked multiple times after that but none had actually started biting. They were really small as well.

in a completely unrelated subject - how do you go about changing the words under your avatar from HPC Veteran to something else?

You make more than I believe 3000 posts, then you become a Senior Veteran.

Guest PenelopePitstop

Ticks? In the UK? Pmsl.. Your pet gets a paralysis tick in Australia and it has hours to live. Deadly. They create an anti venom from dogs who have become immune to ticks, but it does not always work. HUGE problem in Australia as your pet can die within hours. You guys have it easy!!! How do you know when a plane from the UK arrives? The engines stops, but the winging keeps going... ;)

I once had a tick in the back of my neck for about a minute, before a friend got it out, half of my face was paralyised for a week!

Ticks, in the uk. Couldn't make it up!