House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Savings

Coming up-to the end of my regular savings account, so I am hunting the market for a reasonable alternative. The only bank that offers me a good IR on my current account and a 'highish' regular savings account is Santander. Is it worth the hastle, I went through icesave problems and got my money back. Would you jump ships to santander, or would you make do with pants IRs?

Santander will give you £100 quid cashback for jumping ship, 5% current account, and 4% regular savings. I was with them before, you just need to be very careful about avoiding getting into an overdraft.

ARGH : I am so used to posting on OffTopic, this would have probably been better on the main forum, duhhh

Coming up-to the end of my regular savings account, so I am hunting the market for a reasonable alternative.  The only bank that offers me a good IR on my current account and a 'highish' regular savings account is Santander.  Is it worth the hastle, I went through icesave problems and got my money back.  Would you jump ships to santander, or would you make do with pants IRs?

Santander will give you £100 quid cashback for jumping ship, 5% current account, and 4% regular savings.  I was with them before, you just need to be very careful about avoiding getting into an overdraft.

I can empathise. I'd feel much better if I could get even 4 or 5% (which wasn't so tricky only about a year ago), not to mention the 6% or 7% of the year before.

Savings interest rates these days really make many of the dividends of the relatively safe 'blue chip' stocks look pretty appealing. Getting a steady 6% out of share dividends is pretty much realisable, and, if you are in a position to buy and sell as you please, it's usually possible to get a few % growth out of the share price, too.

Given that you only have to beat about 2-3%, stocks are a good alternative.

Savings interest rates these days really make many of the dividends of the relatively safe 'blue chip' stocks look pretty appealing.

Given that you only have to beat about 2-3%, stocks are a good alternative.

Tell that to BP shareholders!

Tell that to BP shareholders!

My inane-reply-ometer is going haywire! ;)

If you have a self-select ISA (meaning you can be in and out at a whim) and you're risk averse, you could've been out of BP in a flash at the first hint of any doubts back in April. You'd've lost a few percent on that one stock, and the rest of your diversified portfolio would have kept your average returns still much higher than could've been achieved by a savings account.

I didn't say you should invest in stocks in a stupid way now did I? :)

It seems everyone on here is raving about the NS&I index linked 3 or 5 yr certs. I may get some myself but still not sure.

Are Santander covered by the £50K government guarentee?

I also had a A&L account, before they were bought by Santander. I had similar problems with overdraft charges and now I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft barge pole. Not because they are likely to go bust but because they f-ed me over with their stupid charges and customer service. If you keep going back they'll just keep behaving the same way.

You can get £100 by moving to First Direct anyway and they have a much better reputation for a current account.

Or Halifax, give £5 per month if you pay in £x'000 per month (can't remember if its £1000 or £1500). What's the interest on £2500 (above that it's 0%) @ 5% per month?

Rough calc: 2500 * 0.05 / 12 * 0.8 = £8.34 for a standard rate (20%) tax payer, or £6.25 for higher rate (40%). Which isn't that much better than Halifax anyway.

Forget Santander!

Well thats decided, I'm ignoring everyone's advice and going back to Santander ;p Expect the failure of Santander within 3 months...

Well thats decided, I'm ignoring everyone's advice and going back to Santander ;p Expect the failure of Santander within 3 months...

Probably for the best. I've entrusted my savings to the tranny in the local BS so there's no point me giving any advice.

While a good interest rate is nice, that's never been the primary reason for saving. Even with 0% interest, if you save £100 a week for 30 weeks, you've got £3000. Surely that's what saving is primarily about. Interest is just icing on the cake.

Or Halifax, give £5 per month if you pay in £x'000 per month (can't remember if its £1000 or £1500). What's the interest on £2500 (above that it's 0%) @ 5% per month?

Rough calc: 2500 * 0.05 / 12 * 0.8 = £8.34 for a standard rate (20%) tax payer, or £6.25 for higher rate (40%). Which isn't that much better than Halifax anyway.

Forget Santander!

I moved to Halifax for my current a/c banking last August. The 'Reward' a/c you mention needs £1000 per month. £5 per month is £60 per year (and it's net of tax). Equivalent to 4% net on £1500, so I think it's pretty good. O/D charges sound a lot if you're the type who does it a lot but £1 a day is acceptable since I don't plan to do it anyway.