House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Loblaw

Cuts In Housing Benefit

Not sure which one's the most thick, the handout girl (it was a girl wasn't it?) or the Liberal pol who came across as completely hopeless. Complete lack of comprehension on both sides either of the policy or of the real consequences (which for this girl is probably nix).

Not sure which one's the most thick, the handout girl (it was a girl wasn't it?) or the Liberal pol who came across as completely hopeless. Complete lack of comprehension on both sides either of the policy or of the real consequences (which for this girl is probably nix).

My GF is on housing benefit so at some point they will no doubt be adjusting her benefit to 30th percentile. My advise to her will be to unilaterally reduce her rent payment amount and wait for the landlord/agent to squeal, and tell them "thats all I can afford - take it or leave it"

Not sure which one's the most thick, the handout girl (it was a girl wasn't it?)

Not sure I thought it was boy, but then again.. Agreed question badly answered as the boy/girl was in council housing.

Watched question time and the lucky thing (b or g? couldn't tell) has a council flat. Which doesn't get measured in LHA afaik.

And she/he looked under 25 anyway so they only get crap housing benefit levels under labour.

It's not the fault of LHA it's the fault of rent levels.

aye,both equally clueless.

spare a thoguth for all thsoe who can't get their own pad because they work and HB has pumped rents up to £400pcm for a one bedder across the Midlands.

She is clueless in how it'll work out. But i do feel really sorry for her in spite of her situation not being as bad as she thinks.

Not able to find a job - and if she's made the effort to go on QT you can bet she's making quite a bit of effort to find one.

No college place - even though she doesnt realize its a ponzi.

20-30 years ago she'd have been looking to get married to someone working in shipbuilding or a local factory or similar. Or worked somewhere herself.

What does she have now?

What future have we all left for her?

Looks to me like all the older generation have done is screw over our young - like her - through selfish greed. They should be ashamed.

What does she have now?

A council property and benefits.

And there are some people who are too politically active to look for work.

She was wittering on about not being able to get a college place - have have not yet upped school leeaving age

"The Raising of the Participation Age means that all young people will continue in education or training to 17 from 2013 and to 18 from 2015."

Raising the minimum age for education is ludicrous, all those graduates living in shared housing must be weeping into their baked beans on toast at the housing benefit situation.

Anything over 2 kids and benefits MUST BE SCRAPPED no more to be added. Close your legs my lovelies.

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

She wont be homeless

Fat landlords will lose some flab

http://news.bbc.co.u.../8802969.stm?ls

Did anyone catch this on Question time?

pathetic people ....

1) UK spends 11% more than it earns. If it does not stop in next couple of years we will end like in Albania with local war lords ... not good ... who does not get it should not be allowed to vote ...

2) Councils are still required to provide accommodation to all. Just for less. In the worst case a 2nd hand mobile home goes for £10k ... not a luxury, but better than a street ...

Well she's got a £60k debt to pay off for the civil service pensions for the services her parents received. See they have left her something.

Looks to me like all the older generation have done is screw over our young - like her - through selfish greed.

Well duhhhhhhhhh!

They should be ashamed.

No they deserve all the wealth they obtained through being smart enough to buy houses, sell all the national assets and deferring costs onto their children. Or at least that's what they convinced themselves.

aye,both equally clueless.

spare a thoguth for all thsoe who can't get their own pad because they work and HB has pumped rents up to £400pcm for a one bedder across the Midlands.

I pointed this out to a colleague in the boozer the other night, how as a private renter, with leftist tendencies,she ought to wake up and realise how the left had priced her out of EVER owning a home in London.

Once i pointed out that the floor under private rents had been removed, or at least taken down a peg or two, and landlords will HAVE to drop their rent expectations, im not sure she was so enamoured of the last regime.

Bit of a lightbulb moment for the gal.

This person on QT was uninformed though im sure, if she is genuinely in that position and not some NeuLab plant, she has ****** all to worry about being a council tenant.

I agree that the uninformed response from Michael Moore was more than depressing. He wont be the only one in such ignorance.

As I stated in last nights QT topic:

I think there's more to it than just forcing private rents down, its about getting ppl off welfare, not just about about saving money (I've read somewhere that by dropping rents by 10% for ppl on JSA for twelve months will only save £100m)..fair enough most ppl will say...make it more "uncomfortable" for those who want to sit on benefits..I think that HB would be reduced by 10%, no matter how much rents drop by..

However, you also end up in a situation whereby ppl are trying their best in trying to find a job; they are honest, decent ppl, who are unfairly penalised for the shocking state of the jobs market....This problem will become acutely worse once three quarters of a million ppl in the public sector are turfed out..

I think the 10% ruling comes in 2013-14, whereby the coalition thinks that the jobs market will have picked up sufficiently by then...but will it?

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough HA stock to go around, so those claiming HB have to resort in looking at private rentals, so its not as simple as just getting everyone claiming HB to get a council house / flat...

Edited by zagreb78

I missed it, but watched that clip and the questioner lives in a Council flat. So can't see why he'd face any cuts at all.

...looked like a rehearsed plant to me....funny how the media did not follow up for the whole story..... :rolleyes:

However, you also end up in a situation whereby ppl are trying their best in trying to find a job; they are honest, decent ppl, who are unfairly penalised f

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough HA stock to go around, so those claiming HB have to resort in looking at private rentals, so its not as simple as just getting everyone claiming HB to get a council house / flat...

1. There are jobs out there. Pretty dull jobs. If needs be we should be able to sack immigrants and replace them with UK benefits recipients.

I think some program tried this with some chavvies though who didn't turn up for work.

2. Repossessions could become govt property. Become council houses.

Not able to find a job - and if she's made the effort to go on QT you can bet she's making quite a bit of effort to find one.

I dunno, soap dodging layabouts manage to pluck up all manner of energy protesting against GM crop development but wouldn't be seen dead doings a days work.

As I stated in last nights QT topic:

I think there's more to it than just forcing private rents down, its about getting ppl off welfare, not just about about saving money (I've read somewhere that by dropping rents by 10% for ppl on JSA for twelve months will only save £100m)..fair enough most ppl will say...make it more "uncomfortable" for those who want to sit on benefits..I think that HB would be reduced by 10%, no matter how much rents drop by..

However, you also end up in a situation whereby ppl are trying their best in trying to find a job; they are honest, decent ppl, who are unfairly penalised for the shocking state of the jobs market....This problem will become acutely worse once three quarters of a million ppl in the public sector are turfed out..

I think the 10% ruling comes in 2013-14, whereby the coalition thinks that the jobs market will have picked up sufficiently by then...but will it?

The problem is the government (or most it) believes we are in a typical recession, and that give it a couples years and we are back on the growth path. This is extremely unlikely and the jobs market will be stagnating/loosing workers for the better part of a decade.

Thus, as the number of unemployed increases, the political calls for undoing some of the changes they are making to benefits will grow too strong. So its likely a lot of the changes they are making that will hit the poorest will eventually be undone. Particularly the one about cutting benefits to those out of work for 1 year or more. I can't see how that will fly when we have 5+ million unemployed for years on end.

The problem is the government (or most it) believes we are in a typical recession, and that give it a couples years and we are back on the growth path. This is extremely unlikely and the jobs market will be stagnating/loosing workers for the better part of a decade.

Thus, as the number of unemployed increases, the political calls for undoing some of the changes they are making to benefits will grow too strong. So its likely a lot of the changes they are making that will hit the poorest will eventually be undone. Particularly the one about cutting benefits to those out of work for 1 year or more. I can't see how that will fly when we have 5+ million unemployed for years on end.

Exactly; you've got it. The government (and most of the posters on these 'benefit threads') are living in the past. From 2002 to 2007 net new mortgage lending was £100bn a year; last year it was £14bn. That unsustainable credit expansion paid for many jobs. It isn't just the public sector which is bloated; the private sector is even more so. Unemployment and under-employment will rise inexorably over the next decade and most likely beyond. It's time to look to the future, deregulate the benefit system and phase in a Citizen's Basic Income.

Talked to a friend who works at the local council and all the staff have been treated to seminars in which the message is that the voluntary sector will step up to plug the gap. Apparently volunteers will make up for the council services that are cut and they will provide for those whose benefits are cut as well.

I guess that means that WAGs and toxic wives of Goldman Sachs partners will be expected to run the libraries and care for the disabled.

20-30 years ago she'd have been looking to get married to someone working in shipbuilding or a local factory or similar. Or worked somewhere herself.

What does she have now?

Looks to me like all the older generation have done is screw over our young - like her - through selfish greed. They should be ashamed.

This is the real crux of the matter. The jobs and the future for the young are not there. Cutting benefits, sending people to colledge and uni , training courses , they are all re arranging the chairs on the titanic, as there are no or very few proper jobs.

I got to 30 and wished for ten years that i was younger , I have got to 47 and just hope that I can struggle on untill 55 as I have a good pension coming , ( fingers crossed ) would hate to be young now especially leaving school with just an average education.

1. There are jobs out there. Pretty dull jobs. If needs be we should be able to sack immigrants and replace them with UK benefits recipients.

I think some program tried this with some chavvies though who didn't turn up for work.

The problem is there are few jobs out there like this that pay enough to cover your rent.

Min wage is £11600. Knock about £2k tax and NI off that. Call it £10k take home... £830 a month. If you rent is £750, exactly what are you supposed to eat?

We keep having people spout this crap about benefits claimants.

The problem isn't the benefits, is the housing Benefit. It's not the benefits claimants gaming the system, it's their landlords.

The problem is all these jobs pay £10k, and even a single person needs to earn £14k to have an acceptable standard of living... a home, food, clothes and transport. WTF are you supposed to do if you have a wife and 2 kids to feed?

The problem is house prices and rents are too high.

They are never going to sack the immigrants and replace them with uk people or ( uk benefits recipients ) as you call them.

When Ian Duncan Smith was on Question time last week , he was speaking about helping people to move for work , he mentioned people form the north moving to London, no one explained to him that there is very high unemployment in London.

What was explained to anyone watching , as is always explained is that immigrants add so much to our economy . I for one do not believe this but it is this chesnut that is continually wheeled out when immigrants, benefits and unemployment is mentioned.

I did see the program that you mentioned when the chavvies did not turn up for work , however if you are making a program like that you can hand pick who you want in it in order to get the message that you want across and not the real picture.

Im back in work now and very gratfull that I am , however when I was looking for work every time i went to the job centre there were very few vacancies and many people , Im sure that most of those people would have turned up for work given the chance.

I saw this yesterday evening and was gobsmacked that not a single panellist pointed out the obvious, tell the council that she’d paying less for her housing.

There seems to be two possible reasons, either they were flummoxed by the council flat bit or they have some vested interest in keeping housing costs high.

How after the Brown boom or bust position on housing did things get so messed up, did Blair and Prescott get to him.

How after the Brown boom or bust position on housing did things get so messed up, did Blair and Prescott get to him.

No i don't think anyone got to Brown , he was so bolshie and stubbon that he did what he wanted. Which was tax ,spend and waste.

While the money from the boom came flooding in he just carried on spending and by the time we got to bust he did not know what to do, apart form trying to prop it up.