House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

Osbournse How To Cut Govt Waste Website Is Live

I have posted an idea up there that I have been thinking about for a while. On the site, search for 'TV License idea'. Username of 'AntiHPInflation' .

Basically the idea is to get the public to agree to divert their TV License fee away from the BBC, and to the treasury for the next 5 years. This will raise billions and at the same time will not take any extra money from the public at all. Surely a very fair start, before they start adding extra taxes on our disposable income.

The promise to the public is that after 5 years, the TV License is abolished. Everyone has played their part in deficit reduction, they have paid ZERO extra taxes for this particular idea, and we benefit in 5 years time.

Please give me some votes if you agree with me.

Cheers

Matt

Problem you've got is that most people really like the BBC and are happy to pay for it.

Including me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6140915/BBC-an-institution-to-be-proud-of.html

Yes but how much of that actually goes to pay for the TV programmes and how much gets creamed off by people at the top?

They should be made to fund themselves comercially and provide the same services, or face going out of business.

The BBC seems to be Government sponsored brainwashing half the time surely

There are a lot of BTL landlords on there campaigning for the Govt to pay HD directly to them and not the tennants. It also seems that if the HB claimant spunks the rent money other things then the LA pays the arrears. How f'ed up have we become. Also there is a post about Alcoholics getting a specail extra benefit payment of 40 quid to buy booze. again amazing, no wonder people dot bother to work. House paid, food paid, booze paid all on benefits.

There are a lot of BTL landlords on there campaigning for the Govt to pay HD directly to them and not the tennants. It also seems that if the HB claimant spunks the rent money other things then the LA pays the arrears. How f'ed up have we become. Also there is a post about Alcoholics getting a specail extra benefit payment of 40 quid to buy booze. again amazing, no wonder people dot bother to work. House paid, food paid, booze paid all on benefits.

LA can chase landlord easier for the money too - especially if they have other properties being paid LHA.

I wonder how long it will be before it is inundated with nutters and tin hatters

You rang?

(That said, we need the most popular suggestion to be "Cut MPs pay by 20%, eliminate MPs expenses allowance, reduce number of MPs by 50%" and then see how the bury the whole site never to be heard of again.)

That's cool.

I've just suggested this:

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/job-centres-and-libraries

Relocate the nations Job Centres into our Libraries.

• It would cut running costs, (1 buildings bills instead of two for electric, heating, cleaning services etc)
  • It would allow us to sell off the old job centre buildings, raising some revenue.
  • It makes use of all the services of the Library, ie. Computer & Internet access, College Prospectuses, Citizens advice, Day Care, plus the books etc.
  • It encourages the unemployed, by not crushing their self-esteem. (No shame in simply walking into a library!)
  • It encourages an atmosphere of learning, not dole queue depression.
  • It would solve at a stroke the funding crisis of our libraries.

Hope it helps, thanks.

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/job-centres-and-libraries

Edited by worst time buyer

Surely we should all be calling for the end of SMI (Support for Mortgage Interest) payments by the government which pays peoples mortgages for them which can sometimes include capital repayments.

Surely we should all be calling for the end of SMI (Support for Mortgage Interest) payments by the government which pays peoples mortgages for them which can sometimes include capital repayments.

And indeed paying any amount more than the actual interest on the loan. There has been come movement in this regard but not enough.

Go for it. Post and idea. Direct democracy in action. It feels good even if the idea doesn't gather any support.

I'm not good with words but I have posted it, here it is:

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/cancel-smi-payments/idea-view

on an unrelated note, you may want to vote for not giving benefits to immigrants until they have contributed for a few years:

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/how-can-we-rethink-public-services-to-deliver-more-for-less/benefits-to-immigrants

Edited by exiges

5/5 from me.

I think that this would be a good thread for all members to post links to their ideas so that we can easily access ideas that we support.

Keeping everything in one place rather than creating multiple threads is probably a good idea (nothing personal, rather a view about how quickly threads can dissapear).

Edited by LuckyOne

Of course they have probably had to open an office in Runcorn staffed with 10,000 civil servants just to sift through the crackpot suggestions! :lol:

IT contractors who circumvent IR35 laws, setting up companies when they clearly only have only one employer and rely on low statistical probability of an investigation. I will urge him to collect all monies owed to him.

Should bring in a few mill.

IT contractors who circumvent IR35 laws, setting up companies when they clearly only have only one employer and rely on low statistical probability of an investigation. I will urge him to collect all monies owed to him.

Should bring in a few mill.

That will screw half the posters on this site

I personally would like to see the prophets of austerity who litter this board set an example for the rest of the layabouts in the country by sacrificing all their income for the next 5 years to pay down the national debt and instead just live on JSA. These Stakhanovites will then offer a model that the entire population can emulate for generations to come

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Fab idea. :)

I quite like that one too. Was it you who first commented on it? Either way thanks.

Three people have voted for my idea now... really quite chuffed about it. I fear I'll be checking its progress now!

Relocate the nations Job Centres into our Libraries.

It's difficult to tell what effects e-books will have on libraries. The first generation KIndle device and its early adopters won't have much effect but when small pad type computers like the i-Pad, which can do all sorts of things including e-books, become the norm, the threat will become more serious.

Public libraries are bound by the Public Libraries and Museums Act., which requires library authorities - usually county councils or unitary authorities, to provide a free book-lending service and sets a minimum standard. If the government decides to repeal this legislation or amend it to allow libraries to charge for book loans, the outlook could be 'interesting'.

My no. 1 suggestion for saving money, though, is for the government to end the free bus travel for the over 60's and set the new age threshold at 70.

Also I would abolish national insurance and raise the equivalent money through adding it to income tax. That would make things much simpler and save money.

Edited by blankster

Yes but how much of that actually goes to pay for the TV programmes and how much gets creamed off by people at the top?

They should be made to fund themselves comercially and provide the same services, or face going out of business.

Other than by putting adverts in the middle of programs, how are they supposed to achieve that?

Whilst I agree that there should be more accountability/rules as to how they spend the money, ISTM that having a license fee and advert free programs is the best solution.

tim

It's difficult to tell what effects e-books will have on libraries. The first generation KIndle device and its early adopters won't have much effect but when small pad type computers like the i-Pad, which can do all sorts of things including e-books, become the norm, the threat will become more serious.

Public libraries are bound by the Public Libraries and Museums Act., which requires library authorities - usually county councils or unitary authorities, to provide a free book-lending service and sets a minimum standard. If the government decides to repeal this legislation or amend it to allow libraries to charge for book loans, the outlook could be 'interesting'.

My no. 1 suggestion for saving money, though, is for the government to end the free bus travel for the over 60's and set the new age threshold at 70.

Also I would abolish national insurance and raise the equivalent money through adding it to income tax. That would make things much simpler and save money.

Sadly my local council has installed creche's in the local library, so they now resemble a noisy shopping centreon a Saturday morning.

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

Sadly my local council has installed creche's in the local library, so they now resemble a noisy shopping centreon a Saturday morning.

Ideal; a safe place for their children while single mums sign-on and show evidence that they are actively seeking a job in childcare.