House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
punter

Should There Be A Constitutional Requirement?

To balance the budget so we never allow a Loser government to put the nations finances in this mess ever again?

I'd say so, we need to enshrine fiscal sanity.

Government should only spend what it takes in, we can all argue what to do with the proceeds but the basic principle everyone ought to agree on across the political spectrum should be that government should only spend what it raises in taxes and to stop some nutter like Brown, there needs to be a document signed by the Queen and Parliament establishing this as part of our law.

Waste of time, apart from being economically dyslexic.

Just lookn at the way Libcons are throwing out enshrined rights like Parliamentary majority voting to end Parliament.

To balance the budget so we never allow a Loser government to put the nations finances in this mess ever again?

Government should only spend what it takes in, we can all argue what to do with the proceeds but the basic principle everyone ought to agree on across the political spectrum should be that government should only spend what it raises in taxes and to stop some nutter like Brown, there needs to be a document signed by the Queen and Parliament establishing this as part of our law.

You can't do it with legislation, after all Brown had the EU 40% rule, and just jogged round it with off-balance-sheet PFIs and stuff.

The problem is the national psyche of entitlements and so forth. We need to stop voting for cretinous wasteful spendaholic tossers in the first place, you don't see ze germans voting for that shit.

It would be part of our constitution - enforced by the Supreme Court

If the treasury produce an unbalanced budget then the courts will rule it unconstitutional.

It would be part of our constitution - enforced by the Supreme Court

If the treasury produce an unbalanced budget then the courts will rule it unconstitutional.

Small experiment for you.

Write down on a piece of paper "i want people to do x" Where x is a behaviour you want other peopel to perform.

Then see if they do x.

if a budget is ruled unconstitonal then taxpayers have the right to withhold all taxes without fear of prosecution

that will cause chaos and focus the politicians mind

maybe even have stiff penalties for ministers who produce unbalanced budgets and endanger the economic wellbeing of the country (isnt that part of MI5's job anyway? it used to be)

Small experiment for you.

Write down on a piece of paper "i want people to do x" Where x is a behaviour you want other peopel to perform.

Then see if they do x.

I can confirm, at least anecdotally, that it doesn't work.

My **** remains resolutely unsucked by the nation's army of 21 year old female catalogue models

I think it'd be difficult to enshrine in law... apart from anything else there is a current need to balance the budget but a future need to create surpluses to pay off debt and give us that buffer that means we can spend more through a recession ( as we should have doen this time around but couldn't do enough of becasue of the mess labour got us into).

I think your first statment is the most sensible:

We need to never allow a loser government to put the nations finances in this mess ever again

Unfortunately there's nothing so queer as folk... just look at how many still voted labour even when the evidence of their disastrous goverment was looming so large that david blunket condemnded them....... no one can say they were not warned... blair and brown have ruined this country and we can only hope their ilk never manage to con their way in again.